C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker / valve cover individual bolt replacement - First post..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG (2013-63) W204
Rocker / valve cover individual bolt replacement - First post..

Hello!

First post although been researching on here since I first collected the car.

Owned my 63 W204 for a little over a year now with some issues experienced which won’t harp on about now but love the car..

I first noticed after a few weeks of ownership that the rocker cover bolts on the driver side are badly rusted which I want to replace with new. I asked the question to a friend of mine who is a local indy whether I am able to replace only effected bolts one by one and re-torque as I go along. He seemed to think it shouldn’t be an issue as long as the engine is cold when I do it.

The bolts effected only seem to be the lower rail adjacent to the header which is a bit odd as I can’t understand why those bolts have rusted and none of the others ..

So my question is, can this be done, as I appreciate there is a sequence when removing the covers completely?

Cheers
Old 04-11-2018, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,594 Likes on 938 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
We don't have rockers

I would first do a full torque sequence on the existing bolts. Then replacing the rusted bolts 1 at a time should be fine.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C63 AMG 2014 Coupe
I have just replaced both cam covers on my 2014 C204 C63.
Replaced the battery too, proactively.

I had a hairline crack on the left side cover, right at the back towards the bottom. Oil seeped onto the top of the exhaust. You would never have seen it without taking it off. It had a new seal at some point in its life and the bloody mechanic dropped the bolt as I found it in the under tray as I was cleaning it all off!
They put back a totally different bolt, luckily it was the same thread pattern…
Anyway I replaced both covers as they come as a kit, new seals and bolts. Around £220 plus VAT each.
Please note these bolts are technically one use only, and only needs torquing to 7.5nm on these plastic covers.

I too noticed that three bolts at the bottom of the right cover were rusted. Nothing else was corroded at all. Can’t work it out, nothing above or next to it too leak to cause it. My hypothesis is maybe when you are driving water can roll off the air intake onto it… but that must be highly precise as the bolt heads are almost tucked away.

Enjoy some photos!

Rusty ones:

Top bolt should be used…

New covers on!

Old 08-01-2022, 03:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Bringing this back up.

I’m working on replacing my valve cover gaskets and the passenger’s side lower rail bolts are all rusted and corroded. I sprayed some PB blaster over night and I was able to unscrew all the bolts except 2. The one at the back is fully corroded (torx bit would fit). The one in the middle is stripped and corroded :/ there was barely any thread left to begin with and after spraying PB Blaster and trying, it stripped out. Any suggestions on how to get those 2 out? Driver side replacement was smooth without any issues (aside from the rear one of course).

Stripped and corroded.

Rear one. Corroded and won’t turn.
Old 07-27-2023, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C63 AMG 2014 Coupe
Did you get them out @xKryptonite? If not, I would use a torx extractor like: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133642155...hoCZ4oQAvD_BwE