C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Low coolant warning on a 2012

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 01:33 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
Low coolant warning on a 2012

I've read countless threads on this but I'm just curious to what you guys might think of this specific situation as I'm freaking out. I've had my car 12k km's with zero issue. I just started the car for the first time today and it popped up "check coolant level". Of course instant panic sets in, however I bought a 2012 as I thought they weren't affected. I popped the hood in my underground and opened the reservoir and could see coolant but can't see any sort of fill line or any indicator. I close it all up and start the car again, it comes back on. Late to pick someone up I ***** foot the car on a 20 min round trip and the temperature seems fine. I stop at the store quickly and go in and when come back out to start the car this time, the check coolant message doesn't appear. I just got the car home and parked, started it one more time to see what it would do and still no check coolant notification. I'm going to take the car in to my friends shop (ex mb mechanic) and have him check the level and add coolant IF needed. I'm just wondering if there could be other indicators. False reading sensor or something? It was weird it popped up twice before my trip and didn't come back after. How does one double check it isn't the head bolts? I read in another thread there would be white in my oil so I'm tempted to just do an oil change monday when I'm at the shop so we can inspect it.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63
Could be radiator. Mine was having a leak and i replace it around 70k km.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
'13 C63 & AP2 S2000
Perhaps the reason for it not showing up once warm is because it pressurizes as it expands (hot) and it reached the minimum level. Maybe you're just below it and sensor picked it up. Anyway, dont think the coolant level should fluctuate. Must be something behind this.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
I've read countless threads on this but I'm just curious to what you guys might think of this specific situation as I'm freaking out. I've had my car 12k km's with zero issue. I just started the car for the first time today and it popped up "check coolant level". Of course instant panic sets in, however I bought a 2012 as I thought they weren't affected. I popped the hood in my underground and opened the reservoir and could see coolant but can't see any sort of fill line or any indicator. I close it all up and start the car again, it comes back on. Late to pick someone up I ***** foot the car on a 20 min round trip and the temperature seems fine. I stop at the store quickly and go in and when come back out to start the car this time, the check coolant message doesn't appear. I just got the car home and parked, started it one more time to see what it would do and still no check coolant notification. I'm going to take the car in to my friends shop (ex mb mechanic) and have him check the level and add coolant IF needed. I'm just wondering if there could be other indicators. False reading sensor or something? It was weird it popped up twice before my trip and didn't come back after. How does one double check it isn't the head bolts? I read in another thread there would be white in my oil so I'm tempted to just do an oil change monday when I'm at the shop so we can inspect it.
iv had the same thing happen with my 2012. Only a few times when it was a cold start and very cold outside. Once warm no light. Level was perfect even when cold. There was no leaks. Never had the issue in the summer. I just ignored it cause the level was fine.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Very likely what gtracer said - level is just a little below the sensor when the coolant is cold. It just needs a little top-up... nothing to worry about.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
-
Originally Posted by AMGonFire

iv had the same thing happen with my 2012. Only a few times when it was a cold start and very cold outside. Once warm no light. Level was perfect even when cold. There was no leaks. Never had the issue in the summer. I just ignored it cause the level was fine.

+1. Had the message come up during cold mornings. Last time I got it was I think this week when it was warm, bu the message went away in like 10 seconds and hasn't come back. What type of coolant does our car actually take?
Old 06-10-2018, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
It's a Mercedes-specific coolant, sold at dealerships only. If you just need a top up and service your car at a dealership, they might do it for free... at least my dealership has on both of mine.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:46 PM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2013 C63 AMG Sedan
+1 had it happen in Feb. If the dealer is out you can get the Peniston brand at Autozone, just to top off
Old 06-11-2018, 01:43 AM
TTA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 Edition 1 Coupe
It's possible your cap is bad. I believe the cap was revised at some point and there's a new part number. Look at your cap for any discoloration on the inside that might indicate a leak.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:44 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
It's good to hear no one seems as worried as me, I guess if it's outside the affected range of motors than it would have to be pretty bad luck to actually have a head bolt issue. I just talked to the previous owner and he said he has seen the low coolant warning come on twice since he got the car new up until the 48000 kms when I bought it and I've now seen it once. Three times in 60k km's. Change anyone's mind? I live in Vancouver Canada, it can often be around freezing but doesn't spend much time way under freezing, however 2/3 of our year is fairly cold Last night it was in an underground when it was about 10C (50f) degrees outside, so not that cold.

Is there any ways to rule it out? I just ordered headers and am about to order a tune and would really like a piece of mind before I go modding the car.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:47 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by TTA
It's possible your cap is bad. I believe the cap was revised at some point and there's a new part number. Look at your cap for any discoloration on the inside that might indicate a leak.
Any idea on when it might have been revised? I'm typically someone to just start throwing parts on stuff that doesn't need it, maybe it's worth just grabbing a new one anyways though.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:59 AM
TTA

C63 Edition 1 Coupe
Google the part number on your cap, see which one you have. I had the old one, it wasn't holding a good pressure anymore. I ordered the new one from the dealer. No problems whatsoever since.
like $25 bucks online, caps wear out. It can happen, it's wear item since the system is under pressure.
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-11-2018, 02:08 AM
TTA

C63 Edition 1 Coupe
here, this one is in Canada.
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-11-2018, 03:13 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by TTA
here, this one is in Canada.