Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uh oh, this can't be a good sound!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 03:21 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
2012 C63 AMG, 1991 325iS. Ex: 2011 C63 P31
Yeah it happened a few times with me, never stressed about it because the noise would disappear completely once warmed up.
I actually tried the Ceratec and it didn't help for me. The lifter noise still happened randomly.

Definitely wait for the next oil change before adding it.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,598 Likes on 940 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
A wear additive won't prevent bleed down from a hydraulic lifter.

Last edited by Jasonoff; 06-29-2018 at 02:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ludedude (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 01:58 PM
SPONSOR

Received 801 Likes on 571 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
Ceratec and MoS2 are different. they will need to be used at separate oil service intervals.

Ceratec is a ceramic coating that fills in gaps in your metal. This will allow for oil to provide a better cushion because all gaps and microscopic holes aren't trapping oil.

MoS2 is an moly based friction additive. This remains in your oil to provide cushion and protection against metal to metal contact.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 06-29-2018, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,677 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
I agree that it's a ***** to check the oil level in this car. It takes FOREVER for the oil to drain back down for an accurate dipstick reading, plus it seems super sensitive to ground level/angle. I've never owned a car that was so hard to check oil level. But I still love my car!
Just an FYI you shouldn’t wait for all the oil to drain down. That’s not how AMG designed it to be read. The system is intended to be checked after the oil is fully warmed up, and 5min after shutting the engine off. You can bet their engineers calculated how much oil is likely to drain down in that period, and the oil checked at that point accordingly. If you wait all night for the oil to drain completely, you run the risk of underfilling the oil. They want more oil up top for a reason. There’s some leeway built into the stick between the upper and lower marks, but you should follow the outlined procedure. I know checking isn’t fun, but the process is quite specific for a reason.
The following 3 users liked this post by BLKROKT:
Ludedude (06-29-2018), MTV10 (07-26-2018), ShaneN. (06-29-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 02:24 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
I had the tick come back today and like the first time it was after the car sat for the weekend. What an unnerving and embarrassing sound. What I don't understand is if it's from some sort of lack of oil, why doesn't the tick go away a few seconds in when the oil is circulating versus when the oil actually get's to operating temp? I let the car idle until it was about half way warm and then putted out onto the road keeping the RPM under 2k until the tick went away, which happened to be almost the exact time the temp went from blue to white (80c I believe). It makes me wonder if running the quicker circulating 0w40 would be of any benefit or not? Although, both times it's happened has been during hot days - never had the problem through the winter and I park in an underground regardless.

edit: Just doing some random googling trying to understand lifter bleed down (in general) and and there is a discussion on oil filters used and no "anti drainback" in some cheap filters. Could this play any part in it at all? I'm not sure what brand filter my indy gets me but I'm going to assume it's not from Mercedes.

Last edited by ShaneN.; 07-24-2018 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
-
I also have this same sound and I've taken a bunch of videos meanwhile. Had my lifters replaced on the 13th of July and the sound is back. Car is going back to the shop this Friday to be checked on again, but what else is there to do? As far as I've read on the forums this is something just to live with - sometimes the sound is there and sometimes it isn't.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:46 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
My car isn't in warranty and I trust what these guys say about it being normal(ish), so I'm not about to do much about it. I'd just like to understand it better as I picture this dry metal on metal contact in the valvetrain until the oil warms up and I know that isn't the case, I just don't get why it takes until the oil is fully warm to go away. It's only happened twice in 9-10 months of ownership but I'm tempted to try an oem oil filter for ****s and giggles.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:55 AM

Received 222 Likes on 142 Posts
2010 C63 AMG RIP. 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2013 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by G_Money
Liquimoly and MOS2. Had it happen on time on a real cold start (30F-40F) after sitting for probably 2 days in a flat, open carport. Changed the oil to Liquimoly and added MOS2 the next day and never happened again.
Same here.
Switched to Liqui Moly 5W40 Leichtlauf but used Ceratec and newer heard it again even with the older tappets.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:03 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
See I'm running the liqui moly 5w40 since I bought the car. This previous oil change (two weeks ago) was done with two bottles of ceratec and the tick happened today for the second time. Next oil changes I'll be going with mos2 but I don't think any of these things play a roll in lifter bleed down after doing a little reading online just now.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:36 AM

Received 222 Likes on 142 Posts
2010 C63 AMG RIP. 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2013 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
See I'm running the liqui moly 5w40 since I bought the car. This previous oil change (two weeks ago) was done with two bottles of ceratec and the tick happened today for the second time. Next oil changes I'll be going with mos2 but I don't think any of these things play a roll in lifter bleed down after doing a little reading online just now.
If you would have switched from 0w to 5w oil it should have given you an improvement in bleed down.
If the mos2 doesn't give you the improvement you are looking for, I would take off the valve covers and inspect the camshafts and the lifter/tappets. The camshaft wear is usually on the inlet side.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 c63 amg dev pack
For what it's worth there are a plethora of threads on m3post about getting a loud clack/tick after switching to liquimoly oil. No idea what the connection is but you may want to check it out
Old 07-24-2018, 11:12 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by sventastic82
If you would have switched from 0w to 5w oil it should have given you an improvement in bleed down.
If the mos2 doesn't give you the improvement you are looking for, I would take off the valve covers and inspect the camshafts and the lifter/tappets. The camshaft wear is usually on the inlet side.
I went 5w liqui moly when I bought the car 10 months ago. I'm not sure what was being put in it at the dealership prior. I've had the tick twice, both times were over the last month after sitting for a weekend. If it's as common and non issue as most people on here are making it out to be I don't really know if an improvement needs to be found, I was just more curious about what is actually going on and why it happens. Seems like I shouldn't be too worried unless it's something that doesn't go away when the oil is warmed up. It's an ugly/scary sound though, that's for sure.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:14 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by Doc Oc
For what it's worth there are a plethora of threads on m3post about getting a loud clack/tick after switching to liquimoly oil. No idea what the connection is but you may want to check it out
I went with liqui moly when I got the car as it seemed to have a good following. I wouldn't mind going back to a 0w40 if there is something good that is easily available (without going to stealership) if the only downside is the car will burn slightly more oil.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:34 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
C63 AMG SEDAN 2013 (PP)
I just went down to my underground (about 70f for reference) and started my car, everything was as uaual at first until I noticed a quite loud ticking noise. This was a cold start, car was last driven a day ago. I popped the hood and took a short video and then revved it in a second video to see if the sound got faster, which it did.

Now, I also just checked my oil, and this is confusing to me too: My car doesn't seem bad for burning oil, I'd say roughly a quart or two between oil changes. For reference, I just had an oil change about 4500-5000 km (3100 miles) ago, also not sure if it was even FULLY topped off, and I've added about a quart in that time which was just the other day. In vanoucver it's all stop and go traffic, so based on the threads here I'd say it isn't horrible at burning oil. Where I'm going with this is I just topped it up myself JUST shy of the top mark on the stick about 500km ago, but when I just checked my oil after hearing the ticking it was at the mark second from the top. Could that just be the difference of the level of oil when checking it cold? I did let the car sit over 10 mins after hearing ticking to check. When I topped it off a couple hundred km's ago the level was checked on a warm motor but also after sitting for 10 mins. If checking cold oil can differ that much on the dipstick, then that should be fine. I'm too scared to let the car warm up to temp to check the actual level when it's ticking like this.

I THOUGHT I heard a similar noise once before on a cold start but put the car in drive and drove away and never heard it again until today. The car is parked until I can get some opinions here. Car is a 2012, 60k km's (37k miles). Usually the car just has a normal low level lifter sound, no ticking.

Any opinions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kljvq7yjmnA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3SezvddFiU
Same sound on cold start and goes away after I drive it around for sometime.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
‘04 996 C4S, ‘18 GLC, ‘19 Alltrack
M1 oil 39,600k mi.

Just got the ticking for the first time today. Sat for 5 days, driven a bit yesterday. Driven a lot (30 mi or so) with a brief burst in S+ today. Sat for 4 hours and got the ticking when I fired it up.

Scared the crap outta me...visions of engine rebuild dancing in my head.

Im out of town for 5 days starting tomorrow. We’ll see what happens. I was going to flatbed it to the MB dealer. Thanks for all the input!

TC
Old 07-26-2018, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
I went with liqui moly when I got the car as it seemed to have a good following. I wouldn't mind going back to a 0w40 if there is something good that is easily available (without going to stealership) if the only downside is the car will burn slightly more oil.
Have you had your oil tested for metal? Maybe it's something else, perhaps a slightly clogged oil passages or a pump that isn't up to snuff any longer? I really don't know, but might want to start looking in other of the system if nothing recommended here has helped at all.

Can you tell if it's coming from one bank or another, or perhaps which cylinder? Have you popped your valve covers and checked your cams and lifters for excessive wear? Look closest on the inlet side, since that's highest up on the motor.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:07 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by G_Money
Have you had your oil tested for metal? Maybe it's something else, perhaps a slightly clogged oil passages or a pump that isn't up to snuff any longer? I really don't know, but might want to start looking in other of the system if nothing recommended here has helped at all.

Can you tell if it's coming from one bank or another, or perhaps which cylinder? Have you popped your valve covers and checked your cams and lifters for excessive wear? Look closest on the inlet side, since that's highest up on the motor.

Honestly, after the replys in this thread and how common it seems, I'm not about to start worrying about it at this point. I'm too OCD with having my car perfect all the time, so if it isn't an issue at this point I'd rather not fret about it. Like I said, it's happened twice since ownership which was 10 months ago and about 15, 000km. Plus lots of people say they get their lifters replaced and it's still there. If it starts happening frequently and/or doesn't go away after warming up I'll start trying to deal with it more.
kkkk (09-20-2019)
Old 07-27-2018, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Honestly, after the replys in this thread and how common it seems, I'm not about to start worrying about it at this point. I'm too OCD with having my car perfect all the time, so if it isn't an issue at this point I'd rather not fret about it. Like I said, it's happened twice since ownership which was 10 months ago and about 15, 000km. Plus lots of people say they get their lifters replaced and it's still there. If it starts happening frequently and/or doesn't go away after warming up I'll start trying to deal with it more.
I'm the same way, ha! I would be throwing cash at it and taking it to every shop! Luckily it just happened to me the one time.
ShaneN. (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 01:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
-
I got my car back today from the dealer again. They said they heard a small ticking sound but the engine is just fine - nothing wrong with it and runs like it should. So... I don't know what to do. I guess I'm just gonna live with it, because my warranty runs out 2019 April and if the sound is still there I'll ask them to take another look at it.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,598 Likes on 940 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012...d-lifters-101/

EDIT:

Last edited by Jasonoff; 07-27-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
‘04 996 C4S, ‘18 GLC, ‘19 Alltrack
So, the consensus is to just live with it?

TC
Old 07-27-2018, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
Have owned two C63's.... both have done this from time to time until car warms up....

Kinda embarassing rolling down the street with the car ticking like that. Just keep the revs low until the engine generates some heat and the ticking stops. This has happened even with CeraTec additive.