C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

facelift c63 android stereo install thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C63 PP
From what I've read on various threads, it looks like you would unplug the 3.5" plug from the USB thing and plug it into your AUX AUDIO IN port. On my 2013 model, this is in the compartment in between the front seats. You should be able to run the cable under the console. So when you want to listen to Navigation commands (or anything else coming out of the Android device) you would switch to AUX input. The rest of the time you would still have music from the original system and whatever vision you want on thew Android device.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:27 PM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 c63
That's what I'm thinking, but the other stereos have the aux cable plug coming off the marked aux rca connectors.

I connected it all up today and can't get it to turn on. There's a jumper switch on the box which when I set it to 'on' a clock comes up on the new screen, but the unit is not starting up with the key acc positions.

There is a red aux power wire that might be the trigger for the unit to start, but everything else seems pretty well integrated so I'd be suprised if I have to do some wiring but I'll try that next.

there is nowhere to stuff the box behind the dash it'll have to go in glove box eventually
Old 07-23-2018, 09:05 PM

2013 c63

The actual screen itself is very well done. It fits on the outside of where the old one was and slides to the left and locks in place. Really hoping I can get it all to work!
Old 07-23-2018, 11:22 PM

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
2014 C63 Coupe
Old 07-24-2018, 01:06 PM

2013 c63

Making progress The original screen is small and not centered and has artifact at the bottom. I also got it to switch to the android screen and connect to bluetooth.

My main issue now is that the radio / display powers off after about 1 minute.. Gotta figure that out next so I can work on the other stuff.

Last edited by kavik; 07-24-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:10 PM

2014 C63 Coupe
I'm curious about one thing...I was looking at my car yesterday and the space where that unit fits appears to be partially obstructed by the steering wheel when driving. I'm curious to see how it looks installed and if you can see the entire display when behind the wheel.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:06 PM

2013 c63
Possibly the far left corner. I think it's going to depend on things like how far back your seat is, your you're steering wheel height, ect.. Also the display is so wide and spread out I'm not sure how much of a inconvenience it's going to be. But I won't know for sure till I get everything working and back in place

FWIW the original gremlin I was chasing with the no power for 2 days was just the new connector not being plugged far enough into the back of the factory unit ��. I was looking at wiring diagrams and circuit testing connections for hours before I figured it out lol.

Last edited by kavik; 07-24-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:27 PM

2014 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by kavik
Possibly the far left corner. I think it's going to depend on things like how far back your seat is, your you're steering wheel height, ect.. Also the display is so wide and spread out I'm not sure how much of a inconvenience it's going to be. But I won't know for sure till I get everything working and back in place

FWIW the original gremlin I was chasing with the no power for 2 days was just the new connector not being plugged far enough ionto the back of the factory unit ��. I was looking at wiring diagrams and circuit testing connections for hours before I figured it out lol.
That’s a pain in the *** but happy you figured it out and that nothing was really broken.

Agree about seating position, wheel position etc. I’m short, I probably would suffer from more obstruction that someone taller.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:39 PM

2013 c63

So I worked on some last night. At one point I was about to throw the whole unit in the trash. At another point I was sure I had it all working and was about ready to install the whole thing in my my car and finish the install. Now I'm back in the middle

I got it set so the full Factory screen shows up on the entire Monitor and got Bluetooth music and call streaming to work on the new Android unit.

Now when I turn it back on today however one of the changes thst I did s making the Android screen come up but the factory stereo play so I got them disconnected. Dang it. Once I get the correct jumper switch positions on the boxes to work with our car it'll be perfectly easy for someone to buy the stereo just set the jumper switch to how I have them and it should work flawlessly
it's just getting there...but honestly the big screen is so much nicer than the small one I might keep it just for the factory display if I never got the rest figured out 😊

I should note for those of us who have the HK and Amplified system you do not need one of the fiber optic to RCA boxes to make the stereo work. It hooks up pretty much in that aspect exactly like the 10.25 in Android widescreen. You do need a connetor that plugs into the box and runs to the AUX Jack in the middle of the car .

Sound quality, if you get the right balance between the factory volume and the volume on the Android system was pretty decent.

Last edited by kavik; 07-25-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
I just want that screen, none of the android stuff, would just like to buy a larger screen and have it plug and play work with the existing system.

Good luck with it!
Old 07-26-2018, 02:40 AM

2013 c63
Okay I pretty much got everything working. Switching back and forth between both screens , streaming Spotify music from my phone to the Android unit, music playing from the original stereo,
, even tethered my phone to it so I could access the internet on the android system itself and it also has a function where you can mirror your Android phone screen onto the display. It apparently will not support playing music off of a iPod directly plugged into the USB However. I think my ipod has bluetooth so I should be able to do it that way.

so I'm going to go ahead and get the screen installed back and then work on putting the box unit in the glove box. Theres no room behind the dash at all. So then I can then at least drive the car and work at my own pace with getting the GPS maps, backup camera, Etc connected up. Will have to make a hole in the side of glove box for wiring to come through.

I wish it was a smaller footprint install size wise with the box and cables and all ( more like the 10.25 stick on screen) but it will look factory when done.

once I get everything done I'll let this rambling thread drop off and make a short more concise how to install /settings / etc one.

Last edited by kavik; 07-26-2018 at 02:43 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by kavik:
ghh923 (07-26-2018), Ludedude (07-26-2018), Mr Jones (07-26-2018), Southways (07-27-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 05:19 AM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Sounds great!! Thanks for sharing your experience and look forward to the install and settings post
Old 07-26-2018, 06:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C63 PP
Kavik, thank you so much for taking the trouble to post all of this. Much appreciated.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:04 PM

2013 c63
Here's a set of instructions to look at although it's for the pre facelift. Post is pretty much the same with different disassembly. This vendor took the time to help me with my issues even though I bought the stereo from another company (who spoke no english) and always returned daily email questions and types in good English! . He will sell it for 499 and will include the cable which I paid $60 extra to get from my vendor 😶 . He's on ebay but I don't know what price it's listed there.

http://www.dvdgpsnav.com/blog/instal...ion-head-unit/

Last edited by kavik; 07-26-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:22 PM
GRP

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63
Thanks for putting up the work on the install and issues faced.

The supplier you linked to is now at US$399 for an android 7.1 unit which is a much more modest price than CKMs US$749.00 (I have not checked carefully to see if there any any differences in product).
Old 07-27-2018, 12:54 PM

2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Originally Posted by GRP
Thanks for putting up the work on the install and issues faced.

The supplier you linked to is now at US$399 for an android 7.1 unit which is a much more modest price than CKMs US$749.00 (I have not checked carefully to see if there any any differences in product).
Yep that is for the Pre-Facelift, not a bad price.

The Facelift version is $499.00: Mercedes-Benz C204 Android Navigation GPS System Head Unit 8.8 inch HD Touch Screen

Still not a bad price, Can't wait to see the final pictures and review
Old 07-27-2018, 01:01 PM

2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
I just noticed that this version that Kavik is installing looks like it sits sunk into the dash like the stock screen. I would think that would make it difficult to reach the touch screen while driving.

The other version sold by CKM sits out away from the dash similar to the latest OEM screens which would make it easier to reach, unless you have freakishly long arms then it wouldn't matter LOL!!

The CKM unit sells for $599.00.

Last edited by JRHolt; 07-27-2018 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Added price
Old 07-27-2018, 01:48 PM

2014 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by JRHolt
I just noticed that this version that Kavik is installing looks like it sits sunk into the dash like the stock screen. I would think that would make it difficult to reach the touch screen while driving.

The other version sold by CKM sits out away from the dash similar to the latest OEM screens which would make it easier to reach, unless you have freakishly long arms then it wouldn't matter LOL!!

The CKM unit sells for $599.00.
Yes, two completely different units. The screen sizes are different (this is a little smaller than CKM's 10.25"), they mount in different places and the software that's installed to power the displays isn't the same either. Since they can both use the factory controls to control them, there should be no need to actually use the touch screen to do much in either instance.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:19 PM

2013 c63
I actually actually got everything to fit behind the dash, so only thing in the glove box is two of the three usb ends. Tight fit though. Just need to get trim on which is a PITA, not sure if its the display being large., but I may pop the display off, put on the trim, then put the display on

again. I just ran the other usb and the aux cable along the side of the center console for now, I will eventually open it up and run them properly.

I put the mic above the steering wheel, just kinda wedged it there, and the extra speaker in the netting by the pass floorboards. I installed the front half of a wireless receiver for a backup camera and tested it before I closed it up, It came on automatically when I shifted into reverse and the screen had the built in line grid on it.

Last edited by kavik; 07-27-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:50 AM

2013 c63
Done for now!! just need to do the center cables under the center console. A few observations: The left side of display is a little blocked by the steering wheel, doesn't bother me, but might to some people. So far functionally, everything works, internet via tethering (wired or wireless), torque pro w/ OBD (downloaded from play store), backup camera, Bluetooth streaming music (spotify).... The box settings that worked fo me were switch 2 and 4 on, the others off. The original stereo screen/functions exactly like stock still. It's a touch distorted display wise, when it is converted from the original size to fill the new screen the very top edge is cut off a little. Using the touch screen is not as bad as I thought with the positioning. If I was going to be using it a lot or the passenger was going to be using it a lot (like on a family sedan instead of my play car) I would probably do the 10.25 "stick on" type screen. However for keeping the stock location, look and getting torque pro/internet I'm pretty happy. Makes the car seem a lot newer even though it is already a 2013! Fitment is good, and you can actually remove the screen once the install is done and get to the upper box without taking apart the dash or removing any trim, if you wanted to change something later or connect a dvd or something, Sound quality through the android system is good, there is a hum at high volumes sometimes, I will probably put a plug on noise filter on the aux port. As far as factory controls with the android screen, volume and switching tracks for music is supported on the steering wheel and the front stereo controls, but you cant use the center console turn wheel to move around the android screen, you have to use touch screen feature, Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions you want me to check, as I haven't played with all the features yet.

Last edited by kavik; 07-30-2018 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
silversleeper48 (08-01-2019)
Old 07-30-2018, 11:15 AM

2013 c63
Old 07-30-2018, 06:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
09 C63, 04 CTS-V (just sold), 06 325, 15 500e, 96 NPR, 05 C172
Originally Posted by AMGonFire

yeah but it looks crappy like you tapped an iPad to the dash not a fan

I'm not a big fan of the huge displays that look like they are an afterthought on any of the post W204 cars. Just ugly. Anyone know of a vendor making a replacement for the PFL Comand? It'd be nice to have car play or the GOOG version on the PFL cars. I'm pretty sure that monster display sittting where it is would be just aesthetically horrible imho.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
C63
Hi, does hands free calling work on your android phone with this setup?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2018, 07:51 PM

2013 c63
Originally Posted by m3driver
I'm not a big fan of the huge displays that look like they are an afterthought on any of the post W204 cars. Just ugly. Anyone know of a vendor making a replacement for the PFL Comand? It'd be nice to have car play or the GOOG version on the PFL cars. I'm pretty sure that monster display sittting where it is would be just aesthetically horrible imho.
The same vendor makes a pre version, the instructions I linked to show that version, but I think it doesn't retract once installed.

Last edited by kavik; 07-30-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
09 C63, 04 CTS-V (just sold), 06 325, 15 500e, 96 NPR, 05 C172
Originally Posted by kavik
The same vendor makes a pre version, the instructions I linked to show that version, but I think it doesn't retract once installed.

thanks - I sent them an email - seems to be conflicting info on their site

one link says it won't work

http://www.dvdgpsnav.com/mercedes-be...0-300-350.html

and this implies it will

"If your Mercedes Benz W204 comes with original 5.8 inch small screen and a working aux function, you can order and install this unit in your car, this head unit can also fit factory 7 inch screen w204 now."

But yes you are right it doesn't fold. But it's only 8" not that big 10"

reminds me of a song from the 70s

nsfw

:-)

Marco

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: facelift c63 android stereo install thread