C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Air conditioner (A/C) blowing hot air

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Air conditioner (A/C) blowing hot air

Had the vehicle parked for a few months, not even 27k miles on it, and was worried about starting it up and all that....
See this thread

Anyhow, dealer claimed battery could not be restored, so threw a new battery in, and then recommended "AC service"
I have the 7yr ELW plan on the car, but SA wants to charge $375 for this service - does this make sense to anyone?
Battery installed alone was $450....and not sure if this matters, but to get the car to start, the benz service truck needed to jump in parallel with a battery pack...weird

I really like my SA, but I feel like I'm getting the run-around on getting the AC running again under warranty
Should I take to another dealer?

More concerning, why did the AC stop working? Anything to do with the long time it was parked perhaps?
It blows hot air, radiator fan is running, I think the compressor clicks on (can hear), and only once have I seen the AC button inside blink

Owned many cars in LA, never seen an AC issue this early...
Old 07-08-2018, 06:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63 AMG 507
I have a 15 507 edition and my dealer kinda gave me the runaround too. Warm A/C they said 1/2lb freon low (but no leak that they could find), added freon and it seems a bit better, a month later I take it back for the exact same issue and they find my condenser fan and sensor are defective and they replace under warranty now everything is nice and cold on these 110 degree days is AZ.

keep pushing the issue

T~
Old 07-08-2018, 11:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 P31 C63 Sedan
I would take it to another dealer. If it's under warranty better to get it fixed sooner than later. When I purchased my C63 it had 27k miles on it (PO parked it because it was his secondary vehicle) and the A/C stopped working. I kept hearing a whine coming from the dashboard which indicated it was low on freon. I took it to my indy shop and they said it was low on freon but couldn't find any leaks They filled it back up and it blows ice cold 'til this day *knock on wood* The car has 34.5k miles now and it's been approx. 7 months since they re-filled the car with freon. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2018, 08:03 PM

C63
It's under the 7yr ELW warranty from Mercedes (the orig 4yr ran out last year)
Shouldn't they at least diagnose the components, and top off the refrigerant under this warranty?
No idea what this 7yr covers and does not cover....SA says he only finds out about coverage once he "submits a claim"

Should I just top up the R134a myself to see how long it lasts as a first step?
Then I can decide to take it to indy or perhaps back to dealer....

Any advice appreciated!
Old 07-11-2018, 02:45 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 P31 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by petezelk
It's under the 7yr ELW warranty from Mercedes (the orig 4yr ran out last year)
Shouldn't they at least diagnose the components, and top off the refrigerant under this warranty?
No idea what this 7yr covers and does not cover....SA says he only finds out about coverage once he "submits a claim"

Should I just top up the R134a myself to see how long it lasts as a first step?
Then I can decide to take it to indy or perhaps back to dealer....

Any advice appreciated!
Unsure about any of the warranty stuff. Sounds like you need to find a different SA imho. But, I'd go with an indy. A can of A/C Pro (if that's what you're thinking about doing) does more harm than good. The gauge on the can is highly inaccurate and you risk the possibility of over-charging or under-charging your system and damaging expensive components such as your A/C compressor and/or A/C drier. To put it simply, the DIY cans can turn a small problem into a big one. Not to mention, a certified A/C technician will tell you if you're system has any leaks.

Last edited by curt.r; 07-11-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:10 PM

C63
thanks for the advice guys, I don't think I'll be playing with charging the system on my own, sounds risky.
will try to take to indy first before dealer
Old 06-13-2020, 09:59 AM

2014 C63 AMG
So last week I traveled from San Antonio to Tucson and after I filled up in Las Cruces I found that the A/C was not blowing cold air, as a matter of fact it was barely blowing any air at all even though the A/C was on (Max). I ended up turning down the A/C for a bit while driving on the highway (80-85 MPH), when I arrived in Tucson I turn the A/C back up and it started to blow cold air again. Was this more than likely the condenser freezing up and it just needed to thaw? Going to be heading back to S.A. in the next couple of days and don’t want to incur the same issue.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:29 AM

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
2013 C63
That sounds like low freon charge and evaporator coil froze up. Cars lose freon as they age - it's an unavoidable consequence of having rubber hoses running 400 PSI of pressure. R-143A systems are very sensitive to charge levels.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:22 AM

2014 C63 AMG
yeah, I’ll get it looked at when I get back to Tx.