Sponsored by:

OEM LSD Swap - Part # Help Plz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
OEM LSD Swap - Part # Help Plz

Hey guys, first post here hopefully an easy one to answer. See below part #'s, can anyone confirm that this unit is in fact the OEM LSD based on this info - AND will swap into my car w/o any issue?

Carrier from a 2011 C63 AMG - 33k miles - good working condition
Mfg Part #: 2043510508 / A2043510508 / A 204 351 05 08
Interchange Part #: 2043508414 / 204 350 84 14
VIN #: WDDGF7HB3BF624103

Im looking to buy this unit and swap out my open diff - My car is 2012 C63 w/ the open diff (can provide my VIN if needed)
And I have looked into a wavetrac unit but labor quotes I've gotten have been a bit crazy i think $3k+ - Whereas a buddy and I could swap this unit out in an afternoon "so we think" haha. Any other parts needed/recommended? Assuming axels wont be any issues? Going to fill up w/ OEM fluids of course.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:23 PM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 c63 amg dev pack
Can't help on the part numbers but I gotta ask why you think labor to install a wavetrac is any different than installing a MB unit?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:47 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
Assuming what you are describing is the entire Diff Housing unit:

"Mfg Part #: 2043510508" is just for the Diff Cover itself
" Interchange Part #: 2043508414" i cannot find.

Because previous owner(s) might have swapped out an originally optioned LSD for an Open Diff before selling car, parting out, etc (unlikely, but still a small possibility), don't believe we can be 100% certain that this Diff Housing includes the OEM LSD, unless the Diff Cover is removed for inspection, or if the current seller verified Diff's operation by checking rotation of wheels while it was still installed on vehicle. May have to roll the dice and see, or ask seller to photograph housing with diff cover removed.

3K for an LSD install, whether OEM or Aftermarket LSD, is ridiculous. $400 - 800 is the range. Mine was $480.
Wavetrac install may require some minuscule shaving of a non-critical edge for fitment.

Recommend new bearings (different bearing and bearing cup for left vs right side), and new Diff seals.
While you're at it, can get the upgraded Diff Cover that is finned, and the Rectifier/Heat Sink to bolt onto cover for improved passive Diff cooling.
Search for the numerous threads describing the above, including the Part #s

Last edited by MBNRG; 08-20-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:26 AM

C63 AMG
x

Last edited by PhillyC63; 08-21-2018 at 09:27 AM. Reason: meant to quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:27 AM

C63 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MBNRG
Assuming what you are describing is the entire Diff Housing unit:

"Mfg Part #: 2043510508" is just for the Diff Cover itself
" Interchange Part #: 2043508414" i cannot find.

Because previous owner(s) might have swapped out an originally optioned LSD for an Open Diff before selling car, parting out, etc (unlikely, but still a small possibility), don't believe we can be 100% certain that this Diff Housing includes the OEM LSD, unless the Diff Cover is removed for inspection, or if the current seller verified Diff's operation by checking rotation of wheels while it was still installed on vehicle. May have to roll the dice and see, or ask seller to photograph housing with diff cover removed.

3K for an LSD install, whether OEM or Aftermarket LSD, is ridiculous. $400 - 800 is the range. Mine was $480.
Wavetrac install may require some minuscule shaving of a non-critical edge for fitment.

Recommend new bearings (different bearing and bearing cup for left vs right side), and new Diff seals.
While you're at it, can get the upgraded Diff Cover that is finned, and the Rectifier/Heat Sink to bolt onto cover for improved passive Diff cooling.
Search for the numerous threads describing the above, including the Part #s
Hey man, thanks for this, was kind of thinking this is what I would hear - may just roll the dice here as he's quoted me now saying its the OEM LSD so may have a case if I pop it open and its not. And agreed on price point, I was thinking under $1k all day, but 2 diff shops around me said otherwise, they mentioned new gears though so Im thinking that could be part of reason why as they were including that.

Which makes me wonder, are most guys who have done this are reusing ring/pinion and just putting all new bearings/seals/fluids as you mentioned? Also is there any reasoning/way to know if cover has to be cut or just a roll of the dice?

And Ive seen that finned diff cover w. the AMG on it which looks pretty badass but I feel like its totally overkill as I dont track the car, any clue on price and is there way to check diff/trans temps via the computer w/o scanner? Ive had car for over year but never really took time to check into seeing if any hidden menus/features?

I do ride around w/ coolant & oil temps up but thats about it haha.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
New gears are not necessary. Retain the same Ring Gear and Pinion, etc. Only changes recommended are in my initial post.
May be prudent to have shop doing install check backlash, preload, and gear mesh pattern.

Cut the diff cover? It is held in by screws. Easy to remove diff cover. Then can verify if LSD or Open Diff.

No temp sensor for diff (unless Black Series w Track Pack i believe). Trans temps can be monitored via Torque Pro app.

Last edited by MBNRG; 08-21-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:41 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MBNRG
New gears are not necessary. Retain the same Ring Gear and Pinion, etc. Only changes recommended are in my initial post.
May be prudent to have shop doing install check backlash, preload, and gear mesh pattern.

Cut the diff cover? It is held in by screws. Easy to remove diff cover. Then can verify if LSD or Open Diff.

No temp sensor for diff (unless Black Series w Track Pack i believe). Trans temps can be monitored via Torque Pro app.
Cool appreciate the insight, and Ill check that app out. And regarding the cutting, I meant in regards to your comment about some guys having to shave housing/cover to fit wavetrac unit - Is there any way to know i.e. certain years or specific models or something? or just totally random?
Old 08-21-2018, 11:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 AMG FBO, 2014 E63 AMG S
I installed a wavetrac myself. You will need new bearings, axle seals. It is fine to reuse your current ring gear and pinion. Minor modification to the diff housing is required to fit the wavetrac.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
You can verify by turning one output flange with the driveshaft flange held. If the other flange goes opposite, it's open. If it goes the same way, LSD.