Sponsored by:

Flywheel shattered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 06:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 C63 AMG
Flywheel shattered

My flywheel (or what it is called on an automatic car - the start gearwheel ?) is shattered on the metal plate (a large part actually missing), that is screwed onto the engine. My converter is also done, as my mechanic found metal shavings on the gear box magnets.

My car is from 2008, and has "only" driven 160.000 km.

Anyone has had the same experience, and know what the cause could be ?

I have only had the car for about a year, so I don't know the cars history.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:14 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
14 polar white E550
Hmmm where you hearing any odd noises when cranking the car over?? its still called a flexplate , flywheel term is mostly used for manual cars . Regardless have you been drag racing the car and brake torqueing it and maybe burned your converter up ?
Old 10-29-2018, 09:43 AM

2008 C63 AMG
I installed a Quaife differential in the early spring, got an ECU tune at Kleemann, and invested in wider tires as the only modifications in my owner time, but I have never drag raced it. I though use manual gear mode a lot and downshift/brake often with the gears (its difficult not to, as this is the easiest way to get pops and cracks from the Exhaust). How I discovered the fault: I noticed a rattling/rumbling noise in idle, shortly after a trip with some spirited highway driving with good topspeed, and after that the car was a little difficult to get rolling after stops, and it also went up in rpm before shifting, almost as when a clutch on a manuel car is slipping. Shortly after I stopped by my mechanic, and he has now discovered that the flexplate was shattered almost like a broken window pane, and that my converter was shot. Should the car not be able to be used a little rough without breaking something in the driveline ?
Old 10-29-2018, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Sounds like your converter failed and damaged the flexplate, not the other way around. It's not common but it can happen, 160k KM isn't exactly a new car, things can break with age and use.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Sounds like your converter failed and damaged the flexplate, not the other way around. It's not common but it can happen, 160k KM isn't exactly a new car, things can break with age and use.
I agree with this. I broke a flex plate in my 6L turbocharged truck because of the power and the shift kit in the transmission. Jarring forces, like hard launches and shifts, combined with high power output can be very hard on all drive train components and they are prone to fail due to the hard use.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:03 AM

2008 C63 AMG
Thanks, don't hope it happens again. I will upload a picture of the broken flexplate, when I pick up my car.

The flexplate had made some serious grooves on the motor backside (about 4 mm deep), so lucky nothing else happened if I had continued driving with the fault.