C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of Rear Sunshade- Anyone done it? WIS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 01:24 PM

Received 168 Likes on 113 Posts
2009 C63 P30
Removal of Rear Sunshade- Anyone done it? WIS?

Hi, I've read lots about how common it is for the rear sunshade to fail. Mine certainly has. Since I don't need it, and would never use it, I want to simply remove it. Trouble is, can't figure out how "simple" that really is. I've seen a few relatively unhelpful short Youtube vids about third brake lights etc., but neither here nor in the plain W204 section have I found more info on removal. Anyone help? Or locate and post the WIS for service/repair? Removing could be worth another several pounds off the car too...
Old 12-05-2018, 02:38 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 P31 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by Crya
Hi, I've read lots about how common it is for the rear sunshade to fail. Mine certainly has. Since I don't need it, and would never use it, I want to simply remove it. Trouble is, can't figure out how "simple" that really is. I've seen a few relatively unhelpful short Youtube vids about third brake lights etc., but neither here nor in the plain W204 section have I found more info on removal. Anyone help? Or locate and post the WIS for service/repair? Removing could be worth another several pounds off the car too...
I had to remove the rear shelf & sunshade on my W204 C350 to tint the rear window, and it's relatively straight forward. The trickiest part to removing the rear sunshade is finessing the rear shelf out of the car with the sunshade attached to it. It's been several months since I've done the job, but if you hop in the trunk and look above (where the sunshade would be) there will be 4 (or 5... I can't quite remember, I'll double check tomorrow) bolts holding in the rear sunshade to the rear shelf. Once those are removed the electrical connector for the sunshade should be tucked away in the interior near the passenger side. Once you undo the bolts and the connector (along with getting the rear shelf free) it should slide right out of the car. Here's the only pic I took during the process: Removal of Rear Sunshade- Anyone done it? WIS?-nbkhlich.jpg

Hope this helps... I'll see if I can hop back in the trunk tomorrow and get some pics of what I'm talking about.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:15 AM

2009 C63 P30
Nice thanks Curt. I did see some bolts underside of the trunk shelf. So the process will be to tear down the pillars. Then you're saying unscrew the bolts and find and disconnect the electrical connector before the shelf can come out. Then once I have it out I can dismount the sunshade I guess. Hmmm. OK thanks this sounds helpful though not sure how to fish out the connector.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 P31 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by Crya
Nice thanks Curt. I did see some bolts underside of the trunk shelf. So the process will be to tear down the pillars. Then you're saying unscrew the bolts and find and disconnect the electrical connector before the shelf can come out. Then once I have it out I can dismount the sunshade I guess. Hmmm. OK thanks this sounds helpful though not sure how to fish out the connector.
Yep, that's correct. The connector isn't tricky to fish out, it will be easily accessible once the pillars are torn down. If you run into any hiccups along the way, I'll try to help out as best as I can.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
We have a rear sunshade?
Old 12-05-2018, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 548 Likes on 484 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Only some optioned out cars have em
Same with regular w204

The button would go underneath the CD player area
Old 12-09-2018, 04:22 PM

2009 C63 P30
Ok given what’s involved I decided to finally tackle because I also had my red rear seatbelts I’d been postponing. It’s pretty much as described. Remove bottom seat cushion. Remove left and right pillar bolsters/trim. Removing upper covers for seatbelts was tricky. Broke a plastic piece of the clip on each side but it remains serviceable.
From there by loosening the 4 10mm bolts from the trunk and then using my hand to push the sunshade unit and shelf forward towards front, and just massaging each side forward, I got the unit out. After I got the shade unmounted from the shelf I was surprised it wasn’t as heavy as I expected. Maybe 5lbs. Not more than 7. So I got 5 lbs weight savings! Lol. Anyways. Reverse was straightforward. Way easier installing rear shelf without the sunshade making it heavy and unbending.

Last edited by Crya; 12-10-2018 at 01:42 PM.