C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Steering Wheel Vibration at 70+

Old 01-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
C63 P31, C320
So i purchased new upper control arms. They are pretty cheap. While i was in i wanted to check ball joints of tie rods.
Tie rod ends seem pretty good and stiff but the inner tie rods seem very loose.
Shouldn't they be able to hold themselves up?

I made a video
Old 01-08-2019, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 258 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Once you remove the put from the steering knuckle they will sag down with gravity... they should have movement as the inner tie rods job is to move up and down as the wheel does the outer takes more of the force and deals with the horizontal movement from steeeing. Usually the inners take a long time to wear out and when they do they move less or bind ... easiest way to check them is with them attached to the knuckle still apply a force in an outward motion from the rack you will feel a pop of clunk as you do
Old 01-15-2019, 09:16 PM

C63 P31, C320
Well i replaced upper control arms. Passenger side was a b**** had to remove the oil cooler so i could access the bolt. Inner and outer tie rods both replaced. Vibration is still there but slightly.
If im turning the steering wheel for a turn i can hardly notice a vibration at freeway speeds. Do you think the play could be inside my steering rack or the column that connects to the rack?
Old 01-16-2019, 05:11 PM

C63 P31, C320
Well just wanted to post i FIXED the issue. The car drives perfectly straight stiff steering now and no longer loose. Before i was fighting to keep my car in lane on the freeway. The car tracks perfectly straight now with no VIBRATION!!!

I Removed the steering rack lowered it down. tightened column connection and the connection at the steering rack. Wasn't that loose.
But i also tightened the big bolt on top of the steering rack which looked like someone did this before because of the marks on it.

The car drives amazing with all the new parts and no vibration im super happy
Old 01-16-2019, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
You changed the control arms as well? Did you go with the upgraded thrust arms if so?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:05 PM

C63 P31, C320
I changed upper control arms. I didn't get the upgraded FCP euro ones. I didn't change lower control arms i checked them and they are still like new. I did change inner and outer tie rods. Inner tie rods didn't really need to be replaced but i now have lifetime warranty.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Sounds good was just curious if they had stiffened up the front much i guess I’ll know when I get around to installing them
Old 01-17-2019, 06:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 c63 amg coupe p31
Originally Posted by Black_Mercedes
Hey guys,

So this is an on going issue ive had for the past two years. Been hunting and trying to figure out whats causing the car's steering wheel and seats to shake. At 67 Mph
there's no signs of vibration as soon as it hits 69-70 steering wheel shakes and the passenger seat has a noticeable shake to it as well.

This last year i replaced
Engine Mounts & Transmission mounts about 3k miles ago
I just replaced the front rotors and pads.
Just installed new rear tires 50 miles ago
Front tires are still from when i got the car and had them re balanced about 14k miles on them ( Eagle LS2 ).
I'm about to buy new front tires because i've read many bad reviews on these tires. But before i throw more money away trying to fix this steering wheel shaking issue.

I asked discount tire to check if my rims are bent and they said they aren't but theirs a slight hop whatever that means. But not enough to cause shaking.

Is there anything else i should be looking at? I've tightened almost all suspension bolts and the bushings don't look bad the car has 72k miles on it now.

What should i take a look into flex discs do they go bad?

Should i just take it to Mercedes and get it diagnosed?

Thanks any input will help
Your wheel might be bent. Try to borrow some wheels off a friend that has a c class. If it goes away problem solved..
Old 11-06-2019, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL 550
Hey guys!

Just like every other happy GL550 owner, I happen to have the same vibration issue. I recently picked up a 2015 GL550 with 38k miles after my X5 lease ran out, and to my huge disappointment I began experiencing vibration starting at 68mp and lasting until 80mph. The vibration was quite vigorous and could be felt in the steering wheel and cabin itself, making the massage feature of the seats barely noticeable. The obvious thought that came to mind first was to balance the tires, which I did -- to no avail. After hours of reading similar threads from other GL owners, I figured it must be the tires. The Pirellis that were initially on it were barely worn, but just like many other GL owners pointed out that if the vehicle is parked for prolonged periods of time flat spots could form due to the sheer size of the tire (295/40/21). As such, trying to resolve this annoying vibration issue asap, I immediately changed the tires to Continental Extreme Contact DWS and after another balance, the vibration almost went away but could still be felt. I then got the tires road force balanced on Hunter 9700 machine, hoping to eliminate it altogether. Driving home from the shop it almost seemed, albeit for a moment, that the vibration has finally disappeared. I wish! The very next morning on the way to work the vibration returned with even more shaking/vibrating. Anywho, I'm tired of shooting in the dark and trying to solve this issue as it seems that the GL chassis is extremely sensitive and susceptible to vibrations, which could be caused by any of the following factors that I've identified:

1. Tires & Wheels -- with tires being the biggest issue since most tire manufacturers apparently cannot produce perfectly round tires of this size. Best tires according to multiple GL owners were Continentals and Michelins.
2. Engine Mounts & Transmission Mounts
3. Driveshaft Flex Discs -- both front and rear
4. Thrust Arms / other Suspension Components becoming loose
5. Tightening Steering Column / Rack Connection - this will require you to literally disassemble most of the suspension components and drop the entire steering rack. Pointedly, this got me thinking that maybe all GL steering columns aren't properly tightened up to spec at the assembly line, which makes them inherently susceptible to experiencing vibration from any of these factors, however slight.
6. Alignment - this one being the least suspect in the vibration problem solving chain, but it may certainly lead to improperly worn tires, which in turn will cause subsequent tire vibration issues.

To conclude, I'm trying to narrow down this vibration dilemma and anyone with more factors to add to the list -- feel free to do so. I want to ENCOURAGE EVERYONE WHO READ THIS THREAD AND SUCCESSFULLY RESOLVED THE ISSUE TO SUBMIT YOUR FINDINGS!!!

As to my GL550, it's going to the MB stealer this Friday. Though judging by the feedback from many other GL owners on here, I'm not very optimistic that their highly trained mechanics will find the root of the problem. Instead, it will likely be the usual spiel whereby they'll try to work in the order of elimination and take coffee breaks on my time.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:10 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
I had a steering wheel vibration and it was apparent at higher speeds like you mentioned. I had a cracked factory wheel.

The roads are so bad here I have cracked 3 wheels thus far.
The following users liked this post:
White_GL (11-06-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 01:14 PM

C63 P31, C320
My issue which has came back again but ever so slightly. There's a nut on the steering rack that needed to be tighten it may keep coming loose overtime is what i think
Old 07-06-2021, 09:26 AM

W204C180FL AMG
This fault is caused by the faulty production of the steering shaft. Mercedes is recalling my car.

Please check your car with your VIN
https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/pass...ck.module.html

They will change my takata passenger airbag also.

Regards.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:41 AM

W204C180FL AMG
If you in USA please use this link.

https://www.mbusa.com/en/recall