Notices
C63 AMG (W204)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power pipe

Old 02-10-2019, 07:17 PM

2014 C63
Power pipe

Hey guys new to the community but I've been reading a bunch and I've seen many posts about exhausts so sorry for another one but I'd like some input.

I've seen some videos and read that a lot of people really like mikes power pipe. My question is there much difference if I just got a local muffler shop to just delete my secondary cats then to order Mikes power pipe. I've seen old posts saying its about $540 shipped. A local shop would be less than half then that I'd assume... So is it worth paying double?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 507 with LSD Polar White
Mikes is a nice bolt in removable piece which comes with a bit of a price. It only requires one cut and comes with a clamp for that pipe, the other 3 connections use the factory connections and clamps, so if you change your mind, sell the car, you just bolt the secondaries back in and sell Mikes power pipe.

Having an exhaust shop do it will get you the same sound, just not as easily removable and you would pay to have it removed and the old cat's welded back in, so may end up at the same price if you had do do that. You can put in mikes pipe at home with hand tools in about an hour or less (just need a chain cutter and a socket wrench.
The Following User Says Thank You to roadkillrob For This Useful Post:
c63507amg (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:53 PM

2014 C63
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Mikes is a nice bolt in removable piece which comes with a bit of a price. It only requires one cut and comes with a clamp for that pipe, the other 3 connections use the factory connections and clamps, so if you change your mind, sell the car, you just bolt the secondaries back in and sell Mikes power pipe.

Having an exhaust shop do it will get you the same sound, just not as easily removable and you would pay to have it removed and the old cat's welded back in, so may end up at the same price if you had do do that. You can put in mikes pipe at home with hand tools in about an hour or less (just need a chain cutter and a socket wrench.
Thanks! so Mikes pipe doesn't need to be welded at all?
Old 02-10-2019, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c63507amg View Post
Thanks! so Mikes pipe doesn't need to be welded at all?
Not at all, 3 factory mount points and the 1 pipe you cut he provides a clamp that will clamp the butt connection between the left header pipe and the power pipe.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:23 PM

2014 C63
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Not at all, 3 factory mount points and the 1 pipe you cut he provides a clamp that will clamp the butt connection between the left header pipe and the power pipe.
I just saw a quick video on installation and looks like you have to weld the V band connector. One half to the power pipe and the other half to the factory pipe.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2003 1500 HD Silverado;2015 GLA 250 (wife's)
You don't need to get the v-band connector. As mentioned above you can do a butt joint and use the wide clamp provided to straddle the joint.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What Mort said band weld on fittings are an option over the butt fit clamp.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:05 AM

2014 C63 AMG 507 Edition
Iím also looking into doing this mod. I even contacted Maykel and yeah it is pretty expensive but it does look like a quality part.
I know of a good muffler shop that has done this mod to a bunch of friends cars in the past but like said above this can be easily removed.
so I guess you have to ask yourself do you need it to be easily removed?
As much as Maykelís power pipe looks seemless and awesome I just canít justify spending a third of what LTH would cost.
In my case I think Iíll just go to my local shop and make sure they use 304 stainless and do a good job which I know they do.
If you do get the power pipe Iím sure you will be happy. Iíve been reading a lot about his product and I donít think anyone has any complaints about it. Except itís stupid expensive just for a cat/res delete.

Quick question about the above comments.. wouldnít exhaust leak with no welds and just a clamp like you guys were mentioning?
Old 02-12-2019, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OE Tuned C63 @leyvaperformance_engineering
Hi Guys just want to let anyone know that all my units are US stainless steel and Mendrel bent for a true 2.5 inch bends. Regardless of who you buy from, be sure to get stainless ( US steel, not cheap China steel ) make sure the pipes are Mandrel bent not on a regular pipe bender. The clamps I use are leak proof as well. Hope this clears up any questions. If anyone has questions feel free to email me 👍🏻