Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 07:05 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 C63 AMG P31
PRE-FL Dash cluster retrofit

Hi All,

Just saw this on the CKM website: Facelift COLOR AMG 63 speedometer

Just wondering if anyone has done it for the C63, and if it was easy enough to do? I did a search and found some old threads of people wanting to do it, but couldnt see anyone that had done it on a C63.

Was it easy?
Did it need coding?
Any modification to the dash/cluster?
Any error codes?

Look forward to hearing from ya!
Old 04-22-2019, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
As far as cluster swap goes,

Remove steering wheel (ideally have it set to lowest position)
Cover steering column with a rag or something
Remove trim around cluster
Remove a couple screws
Lean cluster in, unplug, and redo the rest in reverse
Old 12-11-2023, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Anymore info on this?
hate to be a thread zombie but this is the only topic that comes up in search as to fitting a face lift cluster to a pre facelift model.
Surely this is a done topic by now with a go to tutorial?
Uf this was a Audi or Volkswagen there be hundreds of threads on this topic
Old 12-11-2023, 03:23 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Muckman
Anymore info on this?
hate to be a thread zombie but this is the only topic that comes up in search as to fitting a face lift cluster to a pre facelift model.
Surely this is a done topic by now with a go to tutorial?
Uf this was a Audi or Volkswagen there be hundreds of threads on this topic
It was very easy, just take out old cluster. Send it to CKM - he codes the new face lift cluster and sends it out.

Plug back in and play. Its just about a week turn around & you cant drive the car in that week otherwise mileage is out, and car will throw a code.
Old 12-11-2023, 03:59 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63
See this yt video from Mikey Vlogz, He shows how to removed the gauge cluster from a c300 at the beginning of the video. Should be the same for c63's.

Old 12-11-2023, 05:09 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Honro
It was very easy, just take out old cluster. Send it to CKM - he codes the new face lift cluster and sends it out.

Plug back in and play. Its just about a week turn around & you cant drive the car in that week otherwise mileage is out, and car will throw a code.
why would they need the old cluster for ?
Old 12-11-2023, 05:18 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
why would they need the old cluster for ?
Because the clusters are coded to the ECM of the car. If the codes don't match (which they wont as CKM sells NEW clusters) you will get an error saying mileage is out and the new cluster wont work.

So you send your old cluster to CKM, he pulls the codes off it, and then writes them to the new on you ordered, matches it to your car, so there are no errors.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:10 PM

C63
Because the clusters are coded to the ECM of the car. If the codes don't match (which they wont as CKM sells NEW clusters) you will get an error saying mileage is out and the new cluster wont work.

So you send your old cluster to CKM, he pulls the codes off it, and then writes them to the new on you ordered, matches it to your car, so there are no errors.
well that’s why I’m here.
Does anyone know how to code Mercedes?
I’m familiar to Audis and VW.
I’m just not sure what software to use?
But happy to learn coding process
Old 12-11-2023, 10:14 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
well that’s why I’m here.
Does anyone know how to code Mercedes?
I’m familiar to Audis and VW.
I’m just not sure what software to use?
But happy to learn coding process
I was looking at doing it, but the software (i cant remember what its called now) at the time was almost $2k USD to buy. For something like that - I wasn't prepared to use pirated versions, because if you trigger the mileage tamper trigger by doing it incorrectly, your in deep poo...
Old 12-12-2023, 02:25 PM

C63

so let me get this straight,
if I was to buy a new cluster, there is no need for any coding provided if I’m fine with having the odometer set to zero ?
and there is no need to code my key fob ?
Old 12-12-2023, 05:51 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
so let me get this straight,
if I was to buy a new cluster, there is no need for any coding provided if I’m fine with having the odometer set to zero ?
and there is no need to code my key fob ?
No not correct.

If you were to buy a BRAND NEW new cluster, and install it without coding, it will light up like an Xmas tree & disable your car from starting - this is because the mileage on the cluster wont match the mileage in the cars ECU/ECM (which cannot be changed by anyone inclusive of the dealer). It will also trigger the "Mileage Tamper light" which will cause a lot of problems that ONLY the dealer (whom will be the only that can remove it) will charge big $ to fix & you will need to supply proof of mileage as well. In addition, in some states, messing with the mileage can be a Felony, as you may be winding it back to sell the car for more $ which is fraud.

OR

You can buy BRAND NEW and try coding it yourself with the software from Merc - as stated below, last time I checked it was over 2k USD to buy. And if you make a mistake, the same thing as I mentioned above will happen.

OR

Take out your old cluster, send it to CKM and he codes it for you, and you just plug it back in, and drive it away. Remember, car CAN NOT be started or driven until new cluster arrives, and you plug it back in.

Your key fob will be fine, its NOT coded to the cluster. Its coded to the cars ECU/ECM.

Hope that clears things up.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:20 PM

C63
No not correct.

If you were to buy a BRAND NEW new cluster, and install it without coding, it will light up like an Xmas tree & disable your car from starting - this is because the mileage on the cluster wont match the mileage in the cars ECU/ECM (which cannot be changed by anyone inclusive of the dealer). It will also trigger the "Mileage Tamper light" which will cause a lot of problems that ONLY the dealer (whom will be the only that can remove it) will charge big $ to fix & you will need to supply proof of mileage as well. In addition, in some states, messing with the mileage can be a Felony, as you may be winding it back to sell the car for more $ which is fraud.

OR

You can buy BRAND NEW and try coding it yourself with the software from Merc - as stated below, last time I checked it was over 2k USD to buy. And if you make a mistake, the same thing as I mentioned above will happen.

OR

Take out your old cluster, send it to CKM and he codes it for you, and you just plug it back in, and drive it away. Remember, car CAN NOT be started or driven until new cluster arrives, and you plug it back in.

Your key fob will be fine, its NOT coded to the cluster. Its coded to the cars ECU/ECM.

Hope that clears things up.
good info man thanks.
I’m actually surprised there isn’t already a write up on how to do this.
I’m willing to learn the process being that I’m in Australia and I find there is a lack of DIY’s in the Mercedes groups here.
I’m not too keen to send my cluster over seas but if this is the only option then I guess it sucks.
I would much rather do it my self and make a sticky how to.

If I was to have a crack at it, what software would I need ?
Old 12-12-2023, 10:14 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
good info man thanks.
I’m actually surprised there isn’t already a write up on how to do this.
I’m willing to learn the process being that I’m in Australia and I find there is a lack of DIY’s in the Mercedes groups here.
I’m not too keen to send my cluster over seas but if this is the only option then I guess it sucks.
I would much rather do it my self and make a sticky how to.

If I was to have a crack at it, what software would I need ?
No worries, im Aus too!

I sent mine - and had it coded, I had it back in 10days IIRC, process was easy. And its literally 1 plug.

Honestly, I dont remember what it was called - im sure if you do a search you could find it. You needed a certain programming laptop that has the software pre-installed on it. At the time I wasn't prepared to spend 2k USD on it to do 1 thing, so I didn't bother. Maybe if you ask CKM he may sell it to you. But for $800aus for the cluster, i dont see why u would want to pay more - but thats me!
Old 12-13-2023, 02:25 PM

C63
No worries, im Aus too!

I sent mine - and had it coded, I had it back in 10days IIRC, process was easy. And its literally 1 plug.

Honestly, I dont remember what it was called - im sure if you do a search you could find it. You needed a certain programming laptop that has the software pre-installed on it. At the time I wasn't prepared to spend 2k USD on it to do 1 thing, so I didn't bother. Maybe if you ask CKM he may sell it to you. But for $800aus for the cluster, i dont see why u would want to pay more - but thats me!
Is it ok if I Pm you mate?
finding it very hard for anyone in Australia with advance knowledge on the w204
Iv really only owned Audis in the past so I’m lost with this Mercedes tech.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
I Did mine., Cost $300 for cluster and 150 for coding here in Toronto.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:20 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Kriston
I Did mine., Cost $300 for cluster and 150 for coding here in Toronto.
Toronto as in Canada ?
I have a Toronto 10 minutes up the road but its definitely not Canada lol