Tyre pressure warning + brakes suddenly SUPER grabby

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
45k miles 2010 C63 AMG w204 / VW MK5 Gti
Tyre pressure warning + brakes suddenly SUPER grabby

I’ll keep this super short

car stood a fair bit recently - took it out a few days back and the dials went red with the tyre pressure warning, as I started to slow the brakes got ultra grabby - like they were on and off - but came to a stop. Quick visual check or tyres - seemed fine, pumped the brakes a few times and carefully got the car home. Went out again today, drove without a problem, but the warning came on again just as I was getting near home - it didn’t go grabby - but I nursed the car home to be on the safe side.

I know the tyre pressure operates from the ABS and the drag, and my rear pads need changing ASAP. Would the pads cause these warnings etc?
Old 09-21-2019, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
I can't think of any reason that low tire pressure would impact braking. Pad wear alert is a completely different thing. Put some air in your tires and let us know what happens.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
The brakes were probably grabbing because the ABS thought the wheels were locking up due to improper inflation. Correct the air pressure in the tires, when they are cold and reset the tire pressure monitor through the steering wheel controls. See how it goes.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
45k miles 2010 C63 AMG w204 / VW MK5 Gti
Hey, appreciate the thoughts you've both had on this, i've been away again so haven't been able to look into it further until yesterday. Checked my brake fluid level, mainly because it's so dam hard to see where the level is, and that was fine. Then took it carefully up the road to do the tyre pressures, and one of the rears was 10psi down! So I think we have found the culprit. Makes perfect sense that was tricking the ABS into action - that was the part that had me puzzled, goes without saying in a car that gets driven rather briskly at times you kinda want to know the brakes are not going to suddenly have a fit on you

As for why I couldn't tell it was flat(ish) from driving it... I think i'm just driving it too infrequently, and i'm no F1 driver haha... I'm more careful than I used to be, I had a puncture once and hadn't noticed, set off pretty briskly, and it tore the tyre up, side wall on the inside was litterally hanging off. Always learning eh

cheers
J