C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad fuel like pinging at light throttle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c63
Angry Bad fuel like pinging at light throttle?

Hey all.... Ive got a 13 C63 with about 80k on it. Done plugs, and injectors chasing a weird pinging noise that sounds like bad fuel.. at highway speed in any trans mode while cruising if I lightly accelerate there is a noticeable ping/spark knock. No codes, no misfires, all monitors pass. Factory or bosch parts used only and I only run Chevron 91.. yes Im in Cali. Ive also run 100oct and a few different boosters to try and see if it helps.. It didn't. Any thoughts???
Old 02-15-2020, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Originally Posted by sgtsmitty98
Hey all.... Ive got a 13 C63 with about 80k on it. Done plugs, and injectors chasing a weird pinging noise that sounds like bad fuel.. at highway speed in any trans mode while cruising if I lightly accelerate there is a noticeable ping/spark knock. No codes, no misfires, all monitors pass. Factory or bosch parts used only and I only run Chevron 91.. yes Im in Cali. Ive also run 100oct and a few different boosters to try and see if it helps.. It didn't. Any thoughts???

Did you recently get a tune or change an existing one?
Old 02-15-2020, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 395 Likes on 267 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Did you check the spark plug gaps?
Old 02-16-2020, 12:10 PM

c63
Originally Posted by wawy
Did you recently get a tune or change an existing one?
As far as I know there is no tune.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:11 PM

c63
Originally Posted by deadlyvt
Did you check the spark plug gaps?

I was told they were pregapped. Didn’t even think to check TBH.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 395 Likes on 267 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by sgtsmitty98
I was told they were pregapped. Didn’t even think to check TBH.
they are “usually” good although sometimes in shipping they get bumped around and the gap can be out. Literally had symptoms like this before on spark plugs I didn’t check and upon checking half of them were out of spec as far as the gap was concerned
Old 02-16-2020, 01:20 PM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
This is from the owner's manual. "A major concern among engine manufacturers is carbon build-up caused by gasoline. Mercedes-Benz recommends only the use of quality gasoline containing additives that prevent the build-up of carbon deposits. After an extended period of using fuels without such additives carbon deposits can build up, especially on the intake valves and in the combustion area, leading to engine performance problems such as:

· Warm-up hesitation

· Unstable idle

· Knocking/pinging

· Misfire

· Power loss"

I had knocking in my E55, was told it is a stuck lifter or rod knock. One bottle of Chevron Techron concentrate and WOT blew a black cloud out the exhaust and I never heard ticking again.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:38 PM

c63
Originally Posted by deadlyvt
they are “usually” good although sometimes in shipping they get bumped around and the gap can be out. Literally had symptoms like this before on spark plugs I didn’t check and upon checking half of them were out of spec as far as the gap was concerned

New set ordered!
Old 02-16-2020, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Just regap them dude. No need for new plugs.

And it’s probably just CA gas, it blows. Chevron seems to be the best.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:54 PM

c63
Originally Posted by Solo wing
This is from the owner's manual. "A major concern among engine manufacturers is carbon build-up caused by gasoline. Mercedes-Benz recommends only the use of quality gasoline containing additives that prevent the build-up of carbon deposits. After an extended period of using fuels without such additives carbon deposits can build up, especially on the intake valves and in the combustion area, leading to engine performance problems such as:

· Warm-up hesitation

· Unstable idle

· Knocking/pinging

· Misfire

· Power loss"

I had knocking in my E55, was told it is a stuck lifter or rod knock. One bottle of Chevron Techron concentrate and WOT blew a black cloud out the exhaust and I never heard ticking again.

Yeah I’ve have had a few additives, boosters and and minor top end cleaning performed. I’m thinking in addition to gapping new plugs appropriately I’ll rebuild the manifold, inspect and clean the intake valves in the head and replace the PCV.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
I've read very good things about Shell's VPower formula for knocking out and keeping away carbon deposits. Had good luck with it myself as well. It's the only fuel I use in my performance vehicles, and will fill up with a tank every once in a while on my non-performance vehicles as well.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:44 PM
SPONSOR

Received 798 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
where are you in cali? if northern we could meet up and i'll be able to tell you what the noise is. could be cam adjuster noise as well, but generally that goes away after some time after the engine is run.

pretty rare that a stock engine stock tune will see engine ping/detonation.

ping/detonation sounds like a small metal ball or pebble being shaken inside an aluminum soda can. this occurs when fuel isn't enough or ignition timing is too advanced. generally speaking the computer although may not throw a misfire code, will sense knock or the chance of knock and pull timing accordingly. the Bosch Motronic 9.7 engine control computer utilizes spark plug ion sensing technology to detect inconsistencies within the combustion chamber. essentially sensing knock before knock occurs. utilizing this, the computer will apply timing retard individually to each of the 8 cylinders as it dems fit. this in turn will avoid detonation and chance of actual knock which can destroy your engine.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com

Last edited by hachiroku; 02-17-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:48 PM

c63
Originally Posted by hachiroku
where are you in cali? if northern we could meet up and i'll be able to tell you what the noise is. could be cam adjuster noise as well, but generally that goes away after some time after the engine is run.

pretty rare that a stock engine stock tune will see engine ping/detonation.

ping/detonation sounds like a small metal ball or pebble being shaken inside an aluminum soda can. this occurs when fuel isn't enough or ignition timing is too advanced. generally speaking the computer although may not throw a misfire code, will sense knock or the chance of knock and pull timing accordingly. the Bosch Motronic 9.7 engine control computer utilizes spark plug ion sensing technology to detect inconsistencies within the combustion chamber. essentially sensing knock before knock occurs. utilizing this, the computer will apply timing retard individually to each of the 8 cylinders as it dems fit. this in turn will avoid detonation and chance of actual knock which can destroy your engine.

yeah I’m tracking on the cam and adjuster noise it definitely isn’t that. The engine is timed properly and there is no excessive play in either the exhaust or intake adjusters. The chain has no slack either and when hooked up to a scanner everything checks properly. 0 misfire count.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:49 PM

c63
Originally Posted by G_Money
I've read very good things about Shell's VPower formula for knocking out and keeping away carbon deposits. Had good luck with it myself as well. It's the only fuel I use in my performance vehicles, and will fill up with a tank every once in a while on my non-performance vehicles as well.

after plug adjustment and pcv replacement I’ll run a few tanks through
Old 02-17-2020, 01:51 PM

c63
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Just regap them dude. No need for new plugs.

And it’s probably just CA gas, it blows. Chevron seems to be the best.

Yes. Yes it does. Yeah you’re probably right. They aren’t even 6 months old. Gap and torque
Old 02-17-2020, 05:46 PM

c63
***Update****

Took fuel sample( less then 1/16 of a tank) and noted about 8% Eth. Took out all plugs.... 5 out of 8 were gapped wrong. Only 1 of the 5 were too small the rest were .0041/.0042. Got them all to .039, Full tank of Fresh 91 Chevron and a spirited drive through Mexico showed promising results. The vehicle got to temp faster, the idle was smoother and had less fluctuation, off idle throttle response was better in all trans modes, and best of all.... that damn pinging was gone!

!!Check your gaps!!
The following users liked this post:
BiturboSF (02-17-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 02:25 AM
SPONSOR

Received 798 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
nice. hopefully that was it.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 02-20-2020, 08:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz W204 C63 AMG | CLA45 AMG
Same issue here

I was going to post new but found your thread as I have a very similar issue, pinging at light throttle, any driving mode or gear, no codes, no misfires, not tuned. I recently changed out my plugs, cleaned MAF sensors and replaced MAP sensor so I will check the gap on the new ones however it was pinging on the old ones as well, it only happens at max operating temp and does also present with a inconsistent idle speed when in park, moves between 800 and 1200rpm. Mine is an 08 with 140k on it, I only use BP Ultimate 98 RON or Caltex Vortex 98 RON fuel, no different on either fuel, have tried liqui moly fuel additive but it did not improve. Hopefully mine is the gaps as well and I too can enjoy the sound of the M156 and not pinging!