Sponsored by:

DIY: More "advanced" audio upgrade options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 w204 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
I like this thread. Have a question though.

I upgraded my speakers to Focal PC 165F composite rears and Focal PS 165FX component fronts. While they sound better than the OE HK Logic 7 speakers, I feel like they should sound much better. My gut feeling is that they’re not getting adequate power from the OEM amplifier.

I don’t really want to add a piggyback amplifier and line converter to hook an aftermarket amplifier in-line. I’d ideally like something that’s easy and plug-and-play although that may not be possible. Is there any amplifier on the market that can either replace the OE unit (accepting those optical inputs from the head unit), or hook in after with an all-in-one solution?

I looked up the Audiocontrol LC-4.800 as you suggested above but couldn’t figure it out from the description. I assume that you cut the analog speaker output wires from the OE amplifier and just insert that amp in with the outputs then going to the speakers, but I could be wrong. If you could quickly walk me through that it would help. Thanks
Another thought. Im a fellow Focal fanboy and just did this same mod. Keep in mind that the factory HK speakers are 2 OHM. The Focal components you replaced them with I believe are 4 OHM. Theoretically this would cut your power output in half. If this is the case, you should be able to squeeze more power out of the amp by utilizing one of the Focal 2 OHM options. Hope this helps, sorry if you already considered this.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML63
Originally Posted by Ajohnsonnefn
Keep in mind that the factory HK speakers are 2 OHM.
Are they really all 2-ohm? I would be surprised. Is anyone able to confirm their thoughts on this, as my plans involve Helix SDMI25 - > Helix V Twelve DSP -> out to existing factory HK speakers (except maybe the sub which I will likely replace after that). I am not sure i want 9-12 channels on the Helix V Twelve to be drawing 2-ohms

Regards

David