Sponsored by:

Any New York folks have any issues passing NYS Inspection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 10:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stg3 B5S4-C55 AMG
Any New York folks have any issues passing NYS Inspection

with catless headers that have been properly coded out for both 02's and cats ?
I'm about to move forward with a purchase of a 2013 C63 that has this setup. Dyno Comp tune that is most likely OTS.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 C63
Also wondering about this as well as I installed MBH headers, MBH mid-pipes with full straight pipes after I got my inspection for this year.

Also have a Eurocharged V7 tune if that matters.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 619 Posts
E63S | X5
Most likely will not pass. Few things at play but some are easier to work around than others.

1. It depends on your inspection shop. Short answer, you have to make sure they don't do a visual inspection for cats / be friendly with them.
2. OTS maps typically just disable the check engine light. However, your monitors will not set. You can have 1 monitor not "ready" and pass in NY however this will cause 2 monitors to not be ready.

I am speaking from experience from a few years ago though so maybe something has changed with the mapping when it comes to catless / header setups but I doubt it. Also, I was able to pass with my v7 tune (I didn't have headers so still had cats) but I still had to make sure that EC was not disabling the CEL for cats which is sometimes standard practice with the OTS maps. In other words, I had to make sure they left everything alone when it came to cats so the monitors would set to ready. Just because the check engine light isn't on doesn't mean you will pass.

I have seen some people pass with catless headers in NY but from what I recall they would run something like o2 spacers which just trick the car and would sometimes take a few cycles through in order to get the monitors to set to ready.

It's also not like the good ole days where you can slip the shop $100 bucks to look the other way and slap a sticker on. All inspection stations now direct connect your car to Albany and there is no way around that whatsoever.

Lastly, I hope your windows aren't tinted haha
The following users liked this post:
AMG140.6 (06-04-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 689 Likes on 469 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Ya like above, you will get 2 monitors not ready with the eurocharged tune for headers and if you can't have 2 not ready and pass which most places are one not ready max, then you will fail and have to figure out how to deal, you can do a flash with the monitor enabled which will then fail, so you would have to do something to get the monitors to go ready like spacers sims etc that others may have figure out or you swap the headers in and out once a year, also a pain in the ***.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Or you can just put primary high flow cats on and do everyone’s lungs a favor while making inspection easier on yourself even though you’ll lose 3hp.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Just to add on to what I said earlier and what has been said for some clarity you realistically have these options:

1. Don't touch headers or cats, just leave it alone, and if you want more bark secondary cat delete + resonator delete with x-pipe = delicious and no inspection problems.
2. If you do end up with catless headers, you need to play around with o2 spacers and get them sitting just right for the monitors to be ready. Or keep swapping annually which is a PITA.
3. As Blkrokt said, hi flow cats but at this point I wouldn't even bother but this is just me personally. More hassle than it's worth and even then I've seen some cases where hi flows can fail. Rare, but happens.

In ALL cases, you must ensure that your tune is not coding out (aka disabling the CEL) because all it is doing is disabling the monitor so it wont even flip the CEL in the first place. However, as mentioned, now you have 2 disabled monitors and will fail inspections.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:44 PM

Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts
c63
Originally Posted by CarHopper
Just to add on to what I said earlier and what has been said for some clarity you realistically have these options:

1. Don't touch headers or cats, just leave it alone, and if you want more bark secondary cat delete + resonator delete with x-pipe = delicious and no inspection problems.
2. If you do end up with catless headers, you need to play around with o2 spacers and get them sitting just right for the monitors to be ready. Or keep swapping annually which is a PITA.
3. As Blkrokt said, hi flow cats but at this point I wouldn't even bother but this is just me personally. More hassle than it's worth and even then I've seen some cases where hi flows can fail. Rare, but happens.

In ALL cases, you must ensure that your tune is not coding out (aka disabling the CEL) because all it is doing is disabling the monitor so it wont even flip the CEL in the first place. However, as mentioned, now you have 2 disabled monitors and will fail inspections.
you can pass with headers. It’s been done. All it requires is tune the keeps o2’s on and a j spacer.

GESI cats won’t throw cel and have zero smell for header cars. Zero failure. But each cat is 400+

Last edited by PeterA90; 06-02-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
My experience with passing nys inspection has been very good. since 2009 i had longtube headers catless and i been passing. I believe the secret to this is the tune. if you need help DM me .
AMG140.6 (06-04-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by PeterA90
you can pass with headers. It’s been done. All it requires is tune the keeps o2’s on and a j spacer.

GESI cats won’t throw cel and have zero smell for header cars. Zero failure. But each cat is 400+
Yeah that's basically what is needed, just the spacers. It's honestly not that hard to do just sometimes may take a trip or two under the car to get just right.

Originally Posted by mthis
My experience with passing nys inspection has been very good. since 2009 i had longtube headers catless and i been passing. I believe the secret to this is the tune. if you need help DM me .
I remembered someone from way back when getting by. Are you tune only? No funny business with spacers and such? If so, and I was the OP, I'd definitely reach out.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by CarHopper
Yeah that's basically what is needed, just the spacers. It's honestly not that hard to do just sometimes may take a trip or two under the car to get just right.

I remembered someone from way back when getting by. Are you tune only? No funny business with spacers and such? If so, and I was the OP, I'd definitely reach out.
No funny business no spaces no cats. just a file to pass emission. I know for sure OE and Eurocharged offer this i have both there tunes and if you ask them for a emissions tune to pass they will give you one maybe at a cost of 100 bucks or something like that.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stg3 B5S4-C55 AMG
Originally Posted by mthis

Thanks ! appreciate all the feedback guys...I haven't bought the car yet but the seller did all the mods, not me. My preference would have been just the tune and 2ndry cat deletes + X pipe, but its a clean example .
mthis (06-04-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 12:00 AM

Received 109 Likes on 77 Posts
'16 CLS63S
Ask your tuner to provide you with a tune that specifically sets all monitors to ready solely for getting the inspection completed. Depending on your tuner they may give it to you, might not or they dont know how to do it.

Once your "inspection" tune is loaded, you'll need to drive about 50-100 miles to have all the monitors go ready. Get your inspection and flash back to your regular tune.

Monitors will likely looks something like these pics and your good to go. My car with catless headers...