Couple questions regarding tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 02:09 AM
RVN

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 C63
Couple questions regarding tires

Just a couple questions, with a background behind them. and yes, I have searched the forums, but I couldn't find anything that helps me.

I was driving on the freeway while it was raining(not even that bad) at the speedlimit (70mph, bad idea I know, I learned my lesson). I go to change lanes and my car just does a 180 with no warning, like I got pit maneuvered by a ghost.(I freaking **** myself) Lucky me, there was no traffic and there was a slight incline so I was sliding against gravity. Car stopped about a foot from the center concrete barrier. (Currently sketched about driving my car in the rain now.) I go ahead and take a look at my tires and I see that the wire are showing on the inside of the rears.(I could only see this when looking from behind the car) The outer part that you can see from the side still had plenty of meat. (The car had stock size super sports on 18s)

So the question here is, was this issue caused simply by the inner part of my tires loosing traction as I changed lanes or would I have had to have hit a puddle or something?
Note: I do not have an LSD (unless the previous owner installed one aftermarket, doubt it but haven't confirmed). I was also in C mode with full traction control on.

Either way, next time I drove my car was to the tire shop to get 4 brand new tires. I purchased the pilot 4s but decided to go 10mm larger on the front and back to keep the same ratio between the tires. So 245/265.
I also immediately went to get an alignment done.

Issue I am having here is the car feels less planted. (The car with the super sports and the wire showing felt way more planted). The pilot 4s definitely has more grip, but it almost feels like the car is floating around at high speeds. Additionally, on high speed turns, it feels like the car is going to slip out. I've narrowed it down to it being bodyroll. I think the increased grip is inducing more bodyroll thus giving that sensation of feel like the tail end will slide out.

If that is the case, what can I do the solve this?

I've messed with the tire pressure too, but that hasn't seemed to make a difference, maybe someone could suggest a pressure I should be using.

Last edited by RVN; 06-06-2020 at 03:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Are road temps above like 65F when this happens? PS4 performance starts to deteriorate under, but over that there is nothing better.

I've also had the car squirly in the rain on the freeway when I went across the painted lines i could feel the car shimmy.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 amg
If the car feels "loose," my guess is the toe front and/or rear is wrong, assuming nothing is worn out. If the car is not aligned at ride height, the alingment will be off after a few miles of driving. Some shops lift the car to put on the alighment equipment or the car wasn't settled after swapping the tires.