Sponsored by:

New Owner 2011 C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E63 AMG
New Owner 2011 C63 AMG

Greetings all and Happy 4th of July! So there has been this white C63 (data sheet attached in .txt format) in the area that I was watching online for sale. Two owner, clean CARFAX, mostly California car, plasti-dipped roof, modded headlights, deleted mufflers with oem tips sticking out too far, but otherwise stock, OEM wheels, etc... I looked at it a few times over the last month or so and was surprised it hadn't sold.

Anyhow, I finally took it for a test drive the other day for about an hour and came away mostly very impressed. I brought my code reader along and pulled a some bad Cam Sensor codes and a low fuel pressure code as well. CEL is on (I left it on as a bargaining chip ). Temps are good, new rotors and pads, good Continental tires, transmission shifts fine in all modes, runs great, no rust etc...

She is high mileage at 126K, but very clean under the hood and paint and body are straight. No leaks underneath. Looks like the engine just missed the head bolt issue I read about here, so I guess that is a bonus.

I made a list of the work I am starting on this week in my garage:

1.) Oil Temperature Sensor--I found it, it is of course, in very tight behind the A/C compressor
2.) High beams (1 one works, there is a lot of aftermarket stuff going on here-worrisome)
3.) Rattling noise up front (sounds like a sway bar bushing/end links)
4.)Oil Change (Searching these forums for recommended oil)
5.)Transmission Fluid and filter change (ordered kit from FCP)
6.)Cam position sensors (1 is bad, but I'm just going to do them all)
7.)Aftermarket amp wiring delete (Done yesterday, I pulled a few pounds of wiring, someone had just cut an amp lead and left it connected to the battery, it was loose with other wires just bouncing around in the trunk)
8.)Rear Window shade isn't working (investigating)
9.)Fuel Pump/Sensors Replacement (trying to narrow this down exactly as to what I need, car is hard to start after sitting over night)
10.) Remove Vinyl wrap from roof (Done. had to park it outside and slowly peel it all off, took about 5 hours)
11.) Figure out what OBDII code reader to purchase specifically for this car, my current one will only read codes on Mercedes. (Ordered a Foxwell NT624 Elite, recommended here)

Anyhow, just wanted to introduce myself and my car. My goal is to get it back to stock, fix the current issues and use it as a weekend driver. Pre purchase photo and data sheet attached for the curious:

Pre plasti-dip removal
Attached Files
File Type: txt
2011AMG.txt (3.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by travs_c63; 07-06-2020 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:33 AM

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport / '11 C63
If you got it for around the price i'm thinking, still not bad and a lot left in her. One thing I would say is pop valve covers off and give cams and lifters a look see, better to check and it's not crazy hard, may want new valve cover gaskets in case those are original and might be a bit hard and brittle, don't wanna reuse them then in my opinion.

Mines a 2011 and after doing a once over after hitting 110k miles I feel pretty good as long as you take care of them they will last for a while. I would check and make sure injectors have been replaced, at least pull and inspect them, I would recommend replacing with that mileage and FCP Euro did have them for a great price. Mine were nnnnaaaaaaasssssstttttyyyyyyyyy, nasty nasty so glad I pulled checked and had new ones on the ready. Also check your PCV, if it's original it will be very brittle and plenty of nasty oil in manifold, dealing with that myself now and doing a catch can as everyone else has done.

Looks Good and Grats!!! best bang for buck muscle car in my book when platform and all are considered if ya ask me.
The following users liked this post:
travs_c63 (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 11:17 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
Looks great OP, many miles to come you know?!
travs_c63 (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 218 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Looks nice. If the price was good and you are handy with tools, guess you made a good deal
travs_c63 (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E63 AMG
Thanks everyone! Will do on the valve covers, cam/lifter inspection and fuel injectors! Good info and just shows the immense value of forums like this one.

Back many years ago, when I was in my first two years of college, I was a dealer tech at BMW-I learned three things there: how to work on cars, that I loved working on cars, but that I absolutely hated doing it for a living! Working on cars is my hobby now, although I do get roped into doing brake jobs and other odd jobs for family and friends a little too often it seems.

This is my first Mercedes-Benz, so I am excited to dig in and learn. I went down and made friendly with the parts guys at my local dealership this morning; I paid a little extra for the cam position sensors than what I could have gotten online, but it helps to build that relationship! Sadly, the sensors won't arrive until Wednesday. In the meantime, I'm going to knock out the passenger side sway bar end link, finish getting the adhesive from the vinyl wrap off (that was a horrible experience getting the wrap off) and TRY to figure out what the heck someone did to the headlight wiring.

As is often the case with used cars, it is the number of little problems that add up to big problems later. I will address them now and hopefully get many more years of life out it.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Congrats and welcome! Hope the car stays solid for ya.