Sponsored by:

Group Buy For Joyeauto CarPlay/Android Auto Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 03:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2011 C63 P31 2015 BMW X5M Schwarz Einhorn w/Bootmod3
Originally Posted by JustAVan
Not to be "that guy", but if 6 of us banded together we could group buy 6 units from Joyeauto on Alibaba for only $300/unit straight from the manufacturer. Link to their store and MOQ pricing below.

Alibaba W204 Ntg4.0
I just got in contact with Joyeauto and they will match Alibaba's price of $300 USD plus $25 DHL shipping for 6 units.
The following users liked this post:
JustAVan (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG, sold: E63 Wagon, R63
Originally Posted by deeoh
I just got in contact with Joyeauto and they will match Alibaba's price of $300 USD plus $25 DHL shipping for 6 units.
Awesome. I'm in for one.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:25 PM

Received 109 Likes on 77 Posts
'16 CLS63S
Anyone with a w204 installed one of these units yet? Where is the best place to install it? Is there enough room behind the command unit to place it?

Old 07-15-2020, 08:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Infiniti
Add me to the list for NTG 4.0. I have an 09 c63 with the 10 inch android unit. I like it, but the bugs and lack of complete integration have me interested in this one.

Quick question. Does this unit use the stock microphone? That was one of my biggest complaints about the android unit and CarPlay. Never worked right taking calls from CarPlay so I had to stop using it and just take calls from the stock Bluetooth.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Drift1492
Add me to the list for NTG 4.0. I have an 09 c63 with the 10 inch android unit. I like it, but the bugs and lack of complete integration have me interested in this one.

Quick question. Does this unit use the stock microphone? That was one of my biggest complaints about the android unit and CarPlay. Never worked right taking calls from CarPlay so I had to stop using it and just take calls from the stock Bluetooth.
It uses an external mic. Keep in mind, Joyeauto is the only aftermarket retrofit kit for the NTG 4.0 to date.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C300 4MATIC
It uses an external mic. Keep in mind, Joyeauto is the only aftermarket retrofit kit for the NTG 4.0 to date.
There actually appears to be another option that I'm guessing is relatively new. It's a seems there's now a Limcet box that's being sold on AliExpress by several sellers (Kremersino for $318 and Sinairyu for $245) which is for the NTG4.0. I did inquire with both of these sellers about the mic and both confirmed that it too requires an external mic.

I was also able to find an installation video on YouTube for the one sold by Kremersino and it looks to be a similar install process to the Joyeauto unit, requiring a separate LVDS box to support the older style connectors. It does look like the wiring harness is simplified somewhat on these units, but no idea how performance is here.

Kremersino installation video:
Spoiler

Last edited by reject; 07-16-2020 at 09:52 AM. Reason: YouTube video embedded inline with text :(
deeoh (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 372 Likes on 186 Posts
C63 AMG
I installed a 10.1 inch android setup in my daily X1. I found the best work around for the mic situation is to connect your phone to your cars blue tooth audio and use a plug in version for apple car play. That way you keep the phone with your car and still can access everything through the car play on your screen.

I'm interested in an NTG4.0 unit, i prefer this over the stuck on screens. They look terrible compared to the flip out in the PFL's.

Dont need a group buy, just looking for one that have some type of user feed back.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by reject
There actually appears to be another option that I'm guessing is relatively new. It's a seems there's now a Limcet box that's being sold on AliExpress by several sellers (Kremersino for $318 and Sinairyu for $245) which is for the NTG4.0. I did inquire with both of these sellers about the mic and both confirmed that it too requires an external mic.

I was also able to find an installation video on YouTube for the one sold by Kremersino and it looks to be a similar install process to the Joyeauto unit, requiring a separate LVDS box to support the older style connectors. It does look like the wiring harness is simplified somewhat on these units, but no idea how performance is here.

Kremersino installation video:

Interesting. Good job finding this info! I'll def consider this and compare to the Joyeauto. 1 trick I learned from the BMW guys is clip the external mic to the harness behind the hazard switch, so the mic isn't visible. Voice quality is still good, without picking up background or wind noise from the A/C vents.

Last edited by deeoh; 07-16-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
c63
Just to show what other alternatives for PFL C63.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG, sold: E63 Wagon, R63
Interesting. Good job finding this info! I'll def consider this and compare to the Joyeauto. 1 trick I learned from the BMW guys is clip the external mic to the harness behind the hazard switch, so the mic isn't visible. Voice quality is still good, without picking up background or wind noise from the A/C vents.
Interesting. I would think being behind the dash would really muffle audio quality.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:52 PM

'16 CLS63S
I picked up the Road Top unit from amazon for the ntg 4.5. Got it working but I have no audio lol. And the regular radio has no audio either. Cant figure out the mirroring with android either.

Anyone got this working?

Last edited by bentz69; 07-19-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by bentz69
I picked up the Road Top unit from amazon for the ntg 4.5. Got it working but I have no audio lol. And the regular radio has no audio either. Cant figure out the mirroring with android either.

Anyone got this working?

Did you transfer over the fiber optic plug from the quad lock plug to the jumper quad lock? Otherwise you won’t get any sound
Old 07-19-2020, 08:30 PM

'16 CLS63S
I'm assuming what you said is in reference to this? If so, my dumb *** cant figure it out

Old 07-19-2020, 08:44 PM

This is what is was referring to.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:01 PM

'16 CLS63S
This is what is was referring to.
I got it thanks
deeoh (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 11:31 PM

'16 CLS63S
Although every aspect of this unit is working fine, I think I've given up on trying to mount it behind the console. Has anybody with a w204 successfully mounted this box behind the command unit?
Old 07-20-2020, 08:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Kriston
I installed a 10.1 inch android setup in my daily X1. I found the best work around for the mic situation is to connect your phone to your cars blue tooth audio and use a plug in version for apple car play. That way you keep the phone with your car and still can access everything through the car play on your screen.

I'm interested in an NTG4.0 unit, i prefer this over the stuck on screens. They look terrible compared to the flip out in the PFL's.

Dont need a group buy, just looking for one that have some type of user feed back.
If you're just looking for bluetooth audio then the easiest solution is to retrofit w212 pfl ntg 4 radio.That's what I did a few years ago and it works very well.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:08 PM

'16 CLS63S
Just to pass along some info to others.....I picked up the RoadTop unit (NTG 4.5) from Amazon. Although the directions are pretty rough, I was able to get everything connected and had it working. Wireless android auto, wired android auto and screen mirroring all worked great BUT I didn't have any sound. Thanks to @deeoh who stated above that the original fiber optic cable/plug needed to be removed from the OEM harness and plugged into the jumper harness that goes directly into the back of the command unit. The directions also stated that if you have the AUX option in audio menu then you shouldn't need to use the AMI plug with the 3mm jack in the armrest to get audio. Unfortunately for my car that was incorrect. The 3mm wire needed to be routed through the armrest. Once that connection was made I had audio.

I was hoping to be able to keep the box behind the command unit but after fighting with it for over 2 hours and smushing wires every which way, its just not possible. Everything was unplugged and I found a small spot in the passenger side foot-well right next to the glove-box to stick it. Its still a tight fit but it can make it in there. The glove box didn't need to come out, just drop the lower kick panel and you can find a small section that you can pass the wires through. Even with the box away from the command unit, its still a real b*tch to get the jumper harness to stay flat while you push back the command unit. The harness needs to be under the command unit, it wont fit directly behind the head unit. I have to assume the wifi antenna can be mounted anywhere in the dash and still have a full connection. I moved it around the car before sticking it inside dash and always had a full signal.

Couple notes. I'm using a Samsung S8
-Not sure about apple but android supports multiple Bluetooth devices at the same time. I am able to keep my Bluetooth connection to the vehicle itself AND the carplay unit at the same time. Seems convenient when switching back and forth between platforms if you just want to listen to the radio but still take a phone call.
-I need more time to play with this thing but I noticed that you have to connect to wifi first BEFORE bluetooth or else you cant connect to android auto. A bit annoying since everyone allows Bluetooth to connect whenever the car starts and now you have to toggle the carplay bluetooth off/on to make a connection. 1)Connect to the "carplay" wifi first. After the wifi is connected and the carplay screen is open, toggle the "carplay" bluetooth off/on. Once connected, android auto should start automatically on your phone then pop up on the command unit screen. Select it on the command screen when it pops up and your in. Wired android auto just needs to be plugged into the phone and select the WiredAuto icon. '
-You can also return to the main command screen and not lose the android auto connection.
-Screen mirroring with android only works a wired connection. Download the "Autolink" app first. Plug the phone in while on the main carplay screen and select the Autolink icon. I noticed mirroring is only allowing audio to play through the phone. Have to work on this one.

Overall I think its a great option if you want to avoid placing a new screen.
The following 2 users liked this post by bentz69:
deeoh (07-20-2020), GRP (07-20-2020)