Sponsored by:

HPTuners Tune Review (Tuner hachiroku)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 10:17 PM

Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts
c63
HPTuners Tune Review (Tuner hachiroku)

What’s up guys! Wanted to share some of my results with Barry tuning my car!

So first things first, Barry is top notch when it comes to communication and responding. He answers every question throughly.

Secondly, my car originally came with a Eurocharged tune and I hated it. Car shifted odd, felt flat on top end and actually slower than stock. I went into the direction of Renntech since I got a great deal on their tune with HHT. The car instantly felt better and smoother compared to EC tune. But, as time progressed I wanted a better tune tailored for my car and was done with OTS tunes.

So I purchased HPTuners and reach out to hachiroku since he has been tuning his own car.

Now the HPTuner is really badass. It literally reads the car initially in 1 second. And flashes the car in 2 min with no need to cycle the ignition. The only gripe I have with HPTuners is the credits... such a rip off.

Now the good part. The tune! Initially when I started the car it was way louder. Throttle is set to a 1:1 ratio which is very aggressive. But, is actually perfect. Before with other tunes the throttle felt laggy or just overly snappy. It just feels right to me at least. The gear changes are oem smooth. Throughly tested them in comfort, Sport, sport+, and M. The power of the car feels much stronger than any tune I previously had. Even my fiancé mentioned that the car has more ***** now lol. I haven’t put the hammer down fully (still letting car adapt since I cleared fuel trims) but 75% throttle in 3rd feels phenomenal! I’m eager to dial the car in with Barry but his base file for 99% of the community will be beyond pleased. The car is way more torquey from low to high rpm range.

Plus, all my emission monitors are set and functioning with headers and catted mids.

I’m beyond pleased! I highly recommend Barry’s tune.

~Pete

The following 12 users liked this post by PeterA90:
BalanBro (08-27-2020), BLKROKT (08-16-2020), doncmleon (08-18-2020), ghh923 (05-04-2021), GRP (08-17-2020), hachiroku (08-16-2020), HLG600 (08-17-2020), mcderpa (08-17-2020), mthis (08-16-2020), Phil1305 (11-22-2020), Southways (08-17-2020), Zulututsi3 (09-27-2020) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

09-01-2020, 04:01 PM
PeterA90

c63
Final tune review:

So last night, Barry sent me the final revision of my 93 tune. All I gotta say is, this tune will destroy any box tune out there. You truly don’t know what engine you have until someone really knows what they are doing. Barry dialed my car in from cold start, to idle, cruising, mid throttle tip all the way to redline.

I’m sure there’s guys on here that are skeptical... I was one of them but this has been the best decision.

I’ve driven four c63 tuned all by different tuners. And Barry’s tune and HPTuners platform out shines them all. Datalog. Datalog. Datalog is how you reach tune and driveablity performance and perfection. I’ve must have sent 20 logs and Barry has hit the nail on the head.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:30 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
Thanks for the kind words Peter. I've spent countless hours and over 12,000 road miles perfecting the tune. Glad to know that that hard work has paid off. We'll see how much more we can inch out of the base tune I sent you over the next few days. I'm sure there are a few more ponies to be had since you're in 93 octane country.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
The following 2 users liked this post by hachiroku:
mthis (08-16-2020), PeterA90 (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Hurry up and get a base file for the w205! Malaka you are worse than me with files lol.

The following users liked this post:
hachiroku (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 10:41 PM

Received 251 Likes on 124 Posts
11’ C63 AMG; D2 Audi A8; 15’ Golf TDi; 97’ F350PSD; B6 Audi S4; D1 Audi V8; A2 VW GTi
What are the deets on getting the car tuned? I am not only in 93 octane country, but ethanol free 93 octane country because everything down here has a carburetor and push rods. Except my excellent German collection.
hachiroku (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 10:42 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by skratch77
Hurry up and get a base file for the w205! Malaka you are worse than me with files lol.
lol, let's hope HP Tuners is developing the M177/178 platform. Would love to work on tunes for that engine family.

AMGDC78 (02-22-2021)
Old 08-16-2020, 10:46 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by The Machinist
What are the deets on getting the car tuned? I am not only in 93 octane country, but ethanol free 93 octane country because everything down here has a carburetor and push rods. Except my excellent German collection.
I highly recommend owners to purchase and own their own HP Tuners MPVI2, but in the near future I will be offering MPVI2 and laptop for rent/loaner for those who don't feel the need to invest in a programmer themselves. Owning your own programmer will allow you to work with another tuner in any situation you feel you no longer would like my services. For all inquiries feel free to PM me here with your email address or direct message me on Instagram @eightysixtuned

doncmleon (08-18-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 10:54 PM

c63
Originally Posted by hachiroku
Thanks for the kind words Peter. I've spent countless hours and over 12,000 road miles perfecting the tune. Glad to know that that hard work has paid off. We'll see how much more we can inch out of the base tune I sent you over the next few days. I'm sure there are a few more ponies to be had since you're in 93 octane country.
It sure has! Very happy with the service and product!
haha yes can’t wait to log!

Originally Posted by skratch77
lol we’re neck to neck. The direction I’m going I need HPTuners and Barry is awesome to work with.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:02 PM

11’ C63 AMG; D2 Audi A8; 15’ Golf TDi; 97’ F350PSD; B6 Audi S4; D1 Audi V8; A2 VW GTi
I highly recommend owners to purchase and own their own HP Tuners MPVI2, but in the near future I will be offering MPVI2 and laptop for rent/loaner for those who don't feel the need to invest in a programmer themselves. Owning your own programmer will allow you to work with another tuner in any situation you feel you no longer would like my services. For all inquiries feel free to PM me here with your email address or direct message me on Instagram @eightysixtuned
Ok, so at the risk of dating myself, the last ECU I had tuned was the G60 digifant 1 ECU in my Mk2 GTI which had a G60 swapped in. That involved swapping the EEPROM. What you got is what you got. I was just happy that it found an idle, let alone made power on boost (never mind the black smoke on turbo lag).

They have 3 or 4 packages on the HP tuners site, which would you recommend old farts like me purchase to get the most capabilities/dollar/purchase?

Does a “credit” include your services? Or is that in reference to a particular car? Or.....

Im also using an old school MacBook Pro with win xp running on VMWare. It has worked ok for my VAG-COM but not sure I’d use it to burn an ECU.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:13 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi2/#custom_form_mpvi2

you'll need the MPVI2, skip the pro features. they aren't yet released and might never fully be. for the M156/M159 you'll need 8 credits from HP Tuners. I offer my custom tuning service outside of anything you may need to purchase from HP Tuners.

I believe it's recommended to utilize Windows 10. the HP Tuners website would be the best source for those answers. Windows 10 has been free to download and license for quite some time now since Microsoft is no longer in the Operating System business. a quick search can guide you on that pathway.

Edit:
found this info but may he outdated.

VCM Scanner has been designed to be very laptop friendly. However, if you use many math parameters, functions, and a crowded layout, system demand (and battery usage) will increase.

System Requirements:

•2 GHz CPU
•4 GB RAM
•Microsoft Windows 7 or newer
•Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1

URL of this topic:
https://www.hptuners.com/help/VCM-Sc...uirements.html

Last edited by hachiroku; 08-16-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:46 PM

Sounds like I will have to upgrade from flint and steel to a bic lighter before I want to go fast, huh?

Ok, well I will get my Chinese Star diagnostic knock off on the way which comes with a tired thinkpad running some form of windows. Then I can get the HP Tuners stuff. Either that or I shell out for the 2019 MBP with the keyboard that doesn’t suck, and run win10 in dual boot. (I am an old UNIX guy).

One day at a time. I just splurged on an Accusump and about a hundred bucks of -8AN **** to prelube my engine before starting.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Interesting. With HPTuners would I be able to read my EC dyno tune (which is working great for me) and modify that, or would I have to start from scratch with an OEM base file?

Also, could you tell us of anything particularly interesting that can be coded with HPTuners that’s not the norm?
saint13 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by The Machinist
Sounds like I will have to upgrade from flint and steel to a bic lighter before I want to go fast, huh?

Ok, well I will get my Chinese Star diagnostic knock off on the way which comes with a tired thinkpad running some form of windows. Then I can get the HP Tuners stuff. Either that or I shell out for the 2019 MBP with the keyboard that doesn’t suck, and run win10 in dual boot. (I am an old UNIX guy).

One day at a time. I just splurged on an Accusump and about a hundred bucks of -8AN **** to prelube my engine before starting.
Let us know what you think of the MB STAR/DAS/Vediamo knockoff. I’ve also been considering it for some time as I have some unusual things to code out, but I hear it’s near impossible to learn and there are no instructions anywhere (in English at least).
Old 08-17-2020, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Would be nice to code out SRS and the AIS CELs.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:35 AM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Interesting. With HPTuners would I be able to read my EC dyno tune (which is working great for me) and modify that, or would I have to start from scratch with an OEM base file?

Also, could you tell us of anything particularly interesting that can be coded with HPTuners that’s not the norm?
All tunes will be based off your factory read. I would not utilize another tuners tune even if I had access to it. Each tuner has their own process and they generally do not jive. I have a friend who is a career standalone wiring and tuner to pro race teams and there are things he does with his maps that I don't agree with. I'm sure it's the same if he were to look at my maps. Methodology is what separates tuners. It also differentiates one from the other. These are mutually exclusive.

BLKROKT (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I get that, thanks. But I was looking for an answer to if I can I read whatever tune is currently on my car with HPTuners? For example I understand that EC uses HPT - so cant I just look at the file vs OEM and see the changes with HPT? It would be useful to be able to reference that data and what was modified in the code, rather than blindly start changing things, if I were to start playing around with the software...

Also, I forget who was focused on it recently, but the base file used can apparently materially affect the resulting tune and the power it makes. Something like a ‘14 507 ROW base file is the best, followed by a ‘13 BS base file, etc. The gist of it is that certain base files just produce more power than others, all other things being equal. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks
ghh923 (05-04-2021)
Old 08-17-2020, 01:33 AM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
as far as things with HP Tuners that are not the norm... Peter's review should express that. I can't speak for other tunes or tuners but my methods look to maximize power output from every load cell safely and accurately. what are you looking for and I can let you know if it is possible or not. feel free to shoot me a PM.

Last edited by hachiroku; 08-17-2020 at 01:55 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:42 AM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
I get that, thanks. But I was looking for an answer to if I can I read whatever tune is currently on my car with HPTuners? For example I understand that EC uses HPT - so cant I just look at the file vs OEM and see the changes with HPT? It would be useful to be able to reference that data and what was modified in the code, rather than blindly start changing things, if I were to start playing around with the software...

Also, I forget who was focused on it recently, but the base file used can apparently materially affect the resulting tune and the power it makes. Something like a ‘14 507 ROW base file is the best, followed by a ‘13 BS base file, etc. The gist of it is that certain base files just produce more power than others, all other things being equal. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks
If EC provided you a HP Tuners tune and did not provide you the file in edit format you will not be able to edit. HP Tuners can data log any tune though as this functionally does not require credits to be applied.

As far as stock to stock you cannot through HP Tuners flash another ECUs factory tune into yours. You will have to take that base map and copy over the tables and mappings that are differing. If you attempted to flash another model or VIN numbers base file you either will not be able to, or if able to could possibly brick your ECU. Either situation I would advise against.

Without a base file to reference I'd guess that the 507 has a tune similar to my W211 which comes standard with 507hp. In comparison to the C63's base file to my own, there is little difference besides the throttle opening curve.

As far as my configuration, it goes without saying, the customization and power production is far higher than any factory tune as each load cell is optimized.

I've shared this with Peter as well...my custom tune service covers all future retunes just so long as it does not entail a drastic change, i.e supercharger, race camshafts, etc.

Last edited by hachiroku; 08-17-2020 at 03:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hachiroku:
BLKROKT (08-17-2020), ghh923 (05-04-2021), mcderpa (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. Keep up the good work.
hachiroku (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 394 Likes on 266 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Something like a ‘14 507 ROW base file is the best, followed by a ‘13 BS base file, etc. The gist of it is that certain base files just produce more power than others, all other things being equal. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks
no the base file will have nothing to do with the final numbers being different or final output if the tune is done correctly and fully. The only way a base file being better than another base file and affecting the final tune drive ability or performance would be if the tunes are not complete and basically a half added tune. Also what hachiroku is talking about is correct... the fact you already have a tune doesn’t help you at all and you would want to start from scratch more than likely as you have no idea if the tune you have was done completely and thoroughly or just rushed through.. being a ec tune it’s probably fairly decent and I get why you would rather start with that. But from cars I’ve tuned I can tell you they may have changed monitors or input data on some File you wouldn’t even think to check which would just add to your time diagnosing or wondering why your new tube isn’t working very well. As he states you are probably better off starting with the factory tune and modifying off that the. You know everything that’s been changed or altered.
The following 2 users liked this post by deadlyvt:
BLKROKT (08-17-2020), ghh923 (05-04-2021)
Old 08-17-2020, 03:40 AM

c63
As far as the debate on base firmware. I’d take that with a grain of salt. For instance Hagi 08 C63. He has one of the fastest n/a c63 running 10.9 PB. He ran that time long before there was a black series and 507.

As far as reading the ec file, it may read it and show up stock on Barry’s side...But could have different parts of the map be modified. It’s hard to say, that’s why flashing your car to stock and building a map stock is the best way to go about things.

Ive driven a couple of other friends c63’s with Weistec tune and my first c63 had OEtuning. And, they all felt like my EC tune and Renntech file. I wasn’t stunned by any means. Sometimes I questioned if the car was even tuned. What I will give Renntech is for an OTS tune the drive ability was much much better than EC.

Also, take this into consideration. Some of the fastest cars are tuned while street logging. Dyno’s are just a tool to measure power. Street logging has real load on the car, so you can really dial in the drive ability.

Majority of people don’t want to datalog. Nor do they care too. They rather go with what the crowds are doing and get a “tune.” Then fast forward you see a revival of a thread stating their issues.
The following 3 users liked this post by PeterA90:
BLKROKT (08-17-2020), hachiroku (09-02-2020), HLG600 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 12:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C63, 2014 G550
PM'd!

Last edited by saint13; 08-18-2020 at 01:41 PM.
hachiroku (09-02-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by saint13
What are you charging for your tuning services? I didn't see you post a thread on it but might have missed it.
Take it to PM as requested in the post you quoted!
The following 2 users liked this post by Mort:
BLKROKT (08-18-2020), hachiroku (08-18-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 04:18 PM

c63
Took the car out yesterday to gather datalogs. The initial tune that Barry supplied is very good. What can I say it was 100 degrees yesterday and the car felt so strong on the expressway. 2.5-6k feels so much more tq and pull compared to my previous box tunes. Also I’ve noticed way more consistent power. Prior tunes felt great sometimes and other times I questioned if the car was even tuned.

I will say the car is much louder with the 1:1 throttle setting. It feels like an ls throttle response. It’s aggressive and it takes some getting used too. Especially at low rpms with MCT. The car just wants to jump! When your cruising the throttle now is much more linear as you apply more pressure.

Will update when I get new file and move from 91 base to 93 custom tune.

Cheers guys!
doncmleon (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 06:28 PM

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts
2012 C63

This is awesome bro!!

Old 08-25-2020, 07:11 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
the only issue with my 1to1 throttle mapping is launching your car in a drag race will be challenging due to the excess of power from the start. although, if you have enough tire and can feather the throttle just right, your holeshot will be unbeatable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HPTuners Tune Review (Tuner hachiroku)