Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions from a noob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 546 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
It's an animal and loud AF inside. Completely raw, it's awesome!

I am still tuning the suspension but it's for sure when over driving a corner. TMP doesn't really like having the pizza cutters up front even with the car under 3400lbs.

Getting used to the braking threshold as well so blowing a corner entry because ABS makes an appearance was a frequent laugh. I wasn't able to throttle correct with TC in sport in those situations.

I've never had a track car with TC before. Curious how much affect the weight cut and suspension has on the TC algorithms.
TMP is not really suitable for anything heavier or bigger than a Civic or a Miata. And, with some of the track day shenanigans I've seen there lately, I'm staying away from TMP because the chances of someone else taking you out are actually a bigger concern.

I don't know of your previous track / HPDE experience level and whether you've driven at Mosport (CTMP), but being the fastest track in NA and third fastest in the world it is much more suitable to high powered cars. The only place there where I have ever had the car understeer (due to me overcooking it) was into 5B, but the back stepping out in 5B, 5C or 10 under power is a common occurrence. If you haven't taken the C63 there, you must. Let me know if you ever decide to come out and I'll gladly join you.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,598 Likes on 940 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Diabolis
TMP is not really suitable for anything heavier or bigger than a Civic or a Miata. And, with some of the track day shenanigans I've seen there lately, I'm staying away from TMP because the chances of someone else taking you out are actually a bigger concern.
Yeah it's unfortunate how much it has gone downhill.

Originally Posted by Diabolis
I don't know of your previous track / HPDE experience level and whether you've driven at Mosport (CTMP), but being the fastest track in NA and third fastest in the world it is much more suitable to high powered cars. The only place there where I have ever had the car understeer (due to me overcooking it) was into 5B, but the back stepping out in 5B, 5C or 10 under power is a common occurrence. If you haven't taken the C63 there, you must. Let me know if you ever decide to come out and I'll gladly join you.
~20 years of track experience. Been a long time since I've been on the Mosport GP track but will hopefully get out there next season. We're looking at doing a Calabogie trip as well.

Have you been to GBR? It's no CTMP but flows much better than TMP. They do 3 run groups (Advanced/Intermediate/Beginner) with 20min sessions.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 546 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Don't know when was the last time you drove at CTMP, but it has been completely repaved a couple of times including this spring. A couple of months ago I did a few shakedown laps on a closed track to find out if the Vette motor is still puking oil but unfortunately haven't done any serious driving this year. A couple of new bumps here and there but it is very well maintained and freakin' fast. Calabogie is also very well maintained, and it is a very technical track with LOTS of blind, decreasing radius turns and turn combinations which makes it more suitable to smaller and lighter cars. The track surface is good but very abrasive, so on a heavier car it will chew up the tires in short order - although it is definitely worth it. Have never been to Grand Bend Raceway - I only know that they have a drag strip and possibly run a Canadian Superbike race there.