C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam adjuster lockplate repair prototypes done.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 01:18 AM

Received 251 Likes on 124 Posts
11’ C63 AMG; D2 Audi A8; 15’ Golf TDi; 97’ F350PSD; B6 Audi S4; D1 Audi V8; A2 VW GTi
Ok, not sure where to start, but I’ll stick with what’s in my wheelhouse here.

The adjuster lock plates in the pictures that I repaired are dimensionally finished. They would perform flawlessly as pictured if installed.

The depth of the lock bore is exactly the same as the OE part because I use the OE floor of the bore (within a few thou), and the inside diameter of the repaired lock bore is also exactly the same as the OE part, with the exception that it is ~62Rc (exactly the same material as the pin) instead of maybe ~30Rc.

The part that is not finished with them is that they do not have the final surface finish, as I will be using a rotary surface grinder as opposed to a reciprocating surface grinder to do that.

With the rotary grinder, I will have a finish that looks like that of a very fine, almost mirror finished (quality, not #of teeth) saw blade. That’ll be better demonstrated with the before and after pictures.

As far as reassembly goes, if you choose to go the repair route when I am up and running(a decision that I would be thrilled with) I highly recommend using the Camshaft and adjuster bolts available from 63motorsports, as well as the new MB diamond friction washers, also available from the same.

63motorsports and I have collaborated on this issue to great extent, and between the two of us we’ve got the top end of these things mapped out quite well.

If I have left questions unanswered, or worse created more, please ask away. I want everyone to have what they need to make an informed decision with their engine.
The following users liked this post:
mech81 (05-01-2021)
Old 06-18-2023, 03:26 PM

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts
All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
I know im so e years behind on this thread
Can you or someone tell me the size of the bushing.. ID, OD, and Height/thickness

I have enough tools and i have this problem now..

Originally Posted by The Machinist
This bushing is made from steel that is 62HRc, which is the same as the lock pin itself.

These should theoretically outlast the engine.
The following users liked this post:
Fernando2007 (06-19-2023)
Old 06-04-2024, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 c63
Sudesh

Hi..i am from South Africa..justvreading your tgread..sounds really interesting...where can i purchase these bushings from..u can email me on ...sudesh6512@gmail.com..thank u..looking firward to hearing from you[.
Welding works too, but the plates should still be surface ground afterwards. The heat from the weld will warp the plate slightly.

I like this option because the bushings are cheap and readily available. They are also the same hardness of the locking pin, which means that they will last a very long time.[/QUOTE]