Sponsored by:

m156 rebuild

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2020 | 12:38 AM

2014 c63
m156 rebuild

hi all

long story short, injector stuck open and washed out the cylinder leading to a bent connecting rod, so cutting to the chase I'm in the process of putting it back together just seam to not be able to find the torque specs for the bottom end assembly if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be most helpful.

thank you
Old 11-19-2020 | 09:32 AM

2012 & 2014 E350 Sports, 2017 E43
Did you get the info you were looking for?
Old 11-19-2020 | 02:19 PM

2014 C63
How many miles were on your engine when this happened?
Old 11-19-2020 | 08:29 PM

2014 c63
Yes I did I ended up buying mercedes wis subscription since it had all the procedures

and the car only had 28000 miles which is a complete buzzkill along with the **** response from mbusa lost any confidence I had in the brand
Old 11-20-2020 | 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hamo Merdanovic
Yes I did I ended up buying mercedes wis subscription since it had all the procedures

and the car only had 28000 miles which is a complete buzzkill along with the **** response from mbusa lost any confidence I had in the brand
Great.... Is your car modified? Why is it not covered under the warranty? Also, are you doing the work yourself or an independent shop? Please share the progress and pics on the forum. Good Luck!!!
Old 11-23-2020 | 09:23 PM

2014 c63
[QUOTE=a4ncar;8206808]Great.... Is your car modified? Why is it not covered under the warranty? Also, are you doing the work yourself or an independent shop? Please share the progress and pics on the forum. Good Luck!!![/QUOTE

nope bone stock, they didn’t cover it as it was out of warranty, funny thing is the injector failure is a common failure among these cars but mbusa does nothing about it, and there offer from consumer affairs was 1000 dollar credit on a new car and 500 on CPO and pretty much deemed my c63 worthless definitely killed any belief I had in mercedes but the work is pretty much all done just waiting for some misc bolts to show up
The following users liked this post:
a4ncar (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020 | 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 C63 AMG P31
[QUOTE=Hamo Merdanovic;8209454]
Originally Posted by a4ncar
Great.... Is your car modified? Why is it not covered under the warranty? Also, are you doing the work yourself or an independent shop? Please share the progress and pics on the forum. Good Luck!!![/QUOTE

nope bone stock, they didn’t cover it as it was out of warranty, funny thing is the injector failure is a common failure among these cars but mbusa does nothing about it, and there offer from consumer affairs was 1000 dollar credit on a new car and 500 on CPO and pretty much deemed my c63 worthless definitely killed any belief I had in mercedes but the work is pretty much all done just waiting for some misc bolts to show up
Not trying to be mean but your car was no longer under warranty. What did you expect them to do? Not saying the whole thing doesn't suck but to get mad and not trust the whole brand just because they didn't give you special treatment, just seems a bit extreme.

In a perfect world, yes, they should try and help the consumer out for a known/common issue that happens. But ****, look at the Takata air bags. Most companies don't a give a crap about peoples safety.
Old 11-24-2020 | 08:10 AM

Having to rebuild an engine at 28K mile is absolutely crazy. I have heard in the past like in 2007 or so that MBUSA had paid to have a rebuilt engine installed outside of the warranty under goodwill due to its low mileage. I myself did not get good support from MBUSA when I needed it but on the other hand, my brother and nephew had great support from MB Australia/Pacific as they live in that part of the world.
Old 11-24-2020 | 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=....but the work is pretty much all done just waiting for some misc bolts to show up[/QUOTE]

Are you rebuilding it yourself? or having a shop do it? Any upgrades that you are doing or keep it stock. Any pics to share of the rebuilt especially showing the damaged parts? Save your receipts, you never know. I had a nice check come in from Audi due to the famous sludge issue on my B6 A4.
Old 11-24-2020 | 05:47 PM

2014 c63
[QUOTE=a4ncar;8209740]Are you rebuilding it yourself? or having a shop do it? Any upgrades that you are doing or keep it stock. Any pics to share of the rebuilt especially showing the damaged parts? Save your receipts, you never know. I had a nice check come in from Audi due to the famous sludge issue on my B6 A4.[/QUOTE

did the work myself with one of my buddies, nahh kept it stock, just wanted to get it back on the road so I can get rid of it, here the only pic I took so far I’ll get more once I’m back at my shop

a4ncar (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020 | 07:28 PM

Wow!!! Any damage to the cylinder wall due to piston scraping / rubbing against the cylinder wall as it was being bent? Any other damage like valve train etc? How do the rod bearings look like?
Old 11-24-2020 | 07:41 PM

2014 c63
[QUOTE=a4ncar;8210240]Wow!!! Any damage to the cylinder wall due to piston scraping / rubbing against the cylinder wall as it was being bent? Any other damage like valve train etc? How do the rod bearings look like?[/QUOTE

surprisingly everything else was in good shape not even a scratch on the walls which was confusing as hell, everything went to a machine shop all it needed was valve seals on the drivers bank, and of course new gaskets and hardware guess I got lucky
Old 11-25-2020 | 12:20 PM

11’ C63 AMG; D2 Audi A8; 15’ Golf TDi; 97’ F350PSD; B6 Audi S4; D1 Audi V8; A2 VW GTi
I had a similar experience with VWoA. I guess they are all the same.

Long story short as possible, the dual mass flywheel on my TDi 6MT VW Golf failed, and produced symptoms similar to that of a failing/leaking clutch slave cylinder.

VW declined to warranty the flywheel because the dealer decided that the cause of the problem was that the clutch had worn out. Well, the clutch wore out because the flywheel failed, and would never disengage all the way.

Being a machinist, I put the flywheel on the CMM and measured how far out of whack the wear surface was, which could only have been caused by a failed dual mass medium. Still made no difference.

VW killed a 50+ year family loyalty to their brand over an $800 flywheel.

Meanwhile, I am going to order a set of injectors for my 72kmi C63.

Edit:

The entire reason I came here was to wonder if the cylinder wall suffered any damage.

If so, the block may be a total loss, as the cylinder walls are AluSil if I’m not mistaken. Basically, the cylinder walls are comprised of aluminum that is sintered(sp?) with silicon carbide for wear resistance. In other words, they cannot be sleeved easily. Machining them can be very expensive as they need to be ground, because the carbide is too hard to cut with conventional means.

Edit(again):

I once had an FSi V8 Audi S5 come in that “needed a starter.” It had actually had an injector stuck open and it hydrolocked.

Last edited by The Machinist; 11-25-2020 at 12:27 PM.
a4ncar (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 01:16 PM

2014 c63
[QUOTE=The Machinist;8210650]I had a similar experience with VWoA. I guess they are all the same.

Long story short as possible, the dual mass flywheel on my TDi 6MT VW Golf failed, and produced symptoms similar to that of a failing/leaking clutch slave cylinder.

VW declined to warranty the flywheel because the dealer decided that the cause of the problem was that the clutch had worn out. Well, the clutch wore out because the flywheel failed, and would never disengage all the way.

Being a machinist, I put the flywheel on the CMM and measured how far out of whack the wear surface was, which could only have been caused by a failed dual mass medium. Still made no difference.

Edit:

The entire reason I came here was to wonder if the cylinder wall suffered any damage.

If so, the block may be a total loss, as the cylinder walls are AluSil if I’m not mistaken. Basically, the cylinder walls are comprised of aluminum that is sintered(sp?) with silicon carbide for wear resistance. In other words, they cannot be sleeved easily. Machining them can be very expensive as they need to be ground, because the carbide is too hard to cut with conventional means.

Edit(again):

I once had an FSi V8 Audi S5 come in that “needed a starter.” It had actually had an injector stuck open and it hydrolocked.[/QUOTE

alot of the time it’s the fault of the dealer and which information they choose to disclose to the manufacturer, like in my case I was told I had a compromised block and it was no salvageable, on top of that there tech got there compression tool stuck in the cylinder head, But none the less I’m sorry to hear about your vw being a big vw guy myself, but to my suprise there was no damage to the walls, like not a single blemish I felt like I won the lottery but still had everything checked by a machine shop
Old 11-25-2020 | 01:46 PM

11’ C63 AMG; D2 Audi A8; 15’ Golf TDi; 97’ F350PSD; B6 Audi S4; D1 Audi V8; A2 VW GTi
[QUOTE=Hamo Merdanovic;8210705]
Originally Posted by The Machinist
I had a similar experience with VWoA. I guess they are all the same.

Edit:

Edit(again):

I once had an FSi V8 Audi S5 come in that “needed a starter.” It had actually had an injector stuck open and it hydrolocked.[/QUOTE

alot of the time it’s the fault of the dealer and which information they choose to disclose to the manufacturer, like in my case I was told I had a compromised block and it was no salvageable, on top of that there tech got there compression tool stuck in the cylinder head, But none the less I’m sorry to hear about your vw being a big vw guy myself, but to my suprise there was no damage to the walls, like not a single blemish I felt like I won the lottery but still had everything checked by a machine shop
You lucked out. Sounds like a hydrolock situation.
Old 11-25-2020 | 01:54 PM

2014 c63
[QUOTE=The Machinist;8210735]

You lucked out. Sounds like a hydrolock situation.
yeah just a bunch of fuel, luckily I pulled over as soon as the check engine light came on and towed it otherwise that rod would have kissed the pavement
BLKROKT (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 02:48 PM

I think Mercedes calls its "nanoslide" which uses the twin-wire arc spraying (TWAS) process on M156. Perhaps, it was M113 that used Alusil.

I once had an FSi V8 Audi S5 come in that “needed a starter.” It had actually had an injector stuck open and it hydrolocked.
So, I guess it was the owner who thought it needed a starter as the engine was not starting/turning over. I am sure he was shocked to know the real problem.
Old 11-25-2020 | 02:51 PM

yeah just a bunch of fuel, luckily I pulled over as soon as the check engine light came on and towed it otherwise that rod would have kissed the pavement
What speed were you traveling at?
Old 11-25-2020 | 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by a4ncar
I think Mercedes calls its "nanoslide" which uses the twin-wire arc spraying (TWAS) process on M156. Perhaps, it was M113 that used Alusil.
If it’s a plasma spray process, then it’s similar to what’s called HVOF. Basically tungsten carbide. Either way, it needs to be ground, and if it’s similar to HVOF, it needs to be ground with a diamond wheel, then polished.

So, I guess it was the owner who thought it needed a starter as the engine was not starting/turning over. I am sure he was shocked to know the real problem.
Surprisingly, it was a dealership that told him that, and they told him it was going to cost him $500 for the starter and 12 hours of labor to R&I the engine for install.

He had it towed to the shop I was working at, at the time, for a second opinion with a starter that he had purchased from the internet.

He was relieved to know that it didn’t need a starter, but shocked when I told him that I would not guarantee the repair unless he replaced all 8 injectors. At the time those FSi injectors were like $70 a pop.

a4ncar (11-26-2020)