Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weistec headstud install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2020 | 02:10 PM

C63
Weistec headstud install

I didnt see anything on this, but looking up weistec instructions on how to install the headstuds seems *** backwards. I've never heard of using moly lube on the head side of studs before. Always installed clean and dry and hand tight.

Also, putting rtv on the nuts and washers is also odd. The whole point of the moly lube is for even torque on the nuts.

Any input from you guys with head studs would be appreciated.
Old 11-23-2020 | 03:41 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
i would follow ARP's recommendations. i believe they have specs for each scenario.

https://arp-bolts.com/p/faq.php

Do I need lube on my bolts or studs?
We recommend using ARP Ultra-Torque lube to ensure an even, accurate clamp load and to prevent thread galling. This is particularly important for stainless steel fasteners. The lube should be used under the head of the bolt or the bearing surface of the nut and on the threads, unless a thread sealer is used.

Can I use Loctite or any thread locker instead of ARP Ultra-Torque assembly lube?
Yes, you can. Some engine builders use blue Loctite on the stud end that goes into the block. Do NOT use Loctite on the nuts for the head studs or main studs. Always ensure that the threads are clean prior to applying any lube. When using Loctite, make sure you assemble the parts before the Loctite cures. You can use Loctite instead of ARP Ultra-Torque, but do not use them together.

Do I have to use Ultra-Torque?
We spent two years developing ARP Ultra-Torque and we have come up with what we believe to be the ultimate fastener lubricant. All of our torque values are based on using Ultra-Torque. We do not provide torque values for use with any other fastener assembly lubricant (such as motor oil, moly lube, etc.) Use these other lubes at your own risk, as their use may lead to a part or engine failure, for which we are not responsible.

Do the threads of the bolts or studs going into the block need lube?
Yes. On blind holes use a small amount of ARP Ultra-Torque lube on those threads. Additionally, if the studs protrude into a water jacket, you will need to clean the threads in the block to remove all coolant and oil residue. Apply a liberal amount of ARP thread sealer or a high temperature thread sealer.

Are ARP bolts and studs re-usable?
Yes. As long as the fasteners have been installed and torqued correctly, and show no visible signs of damage, they can be re-used. If they show any signs of thread galling or corrosion, they should be replaced. In the case of rod bolts, if any of them have taken a permanent set and have stretched by .001” or longer, you should replace them immediately. See page 29 in the catalog for more detailed information on this critical measurement.

Do I install my studs into the block first?
After test fitting the studs in the block, it is generally easier to remove the studs, put the head gasket and head on the block and install the studs. This will reduce the possibility of damaging the upper threads of the stud and scraping the cylinder mounting holes. If the block has no alignment dowel pins, you can use the stud to align the gasket and head.

Does the chamfer on the inside diameter of the washer go up or down?
The chamfered side of the washer goes up, towards the head of the bolt. The chamfer is there to create clearance for the radius between the bolt shank and the bolt head.

Do the head studs only go in hand, or finger tight?
Yes, cylinder head studs are installed only hand tight. Other than the use of an allen wrench on the hex broached into the end of the stud (to ease installation, not to apply torque), use no tools to seat them in the block. However, it is extremely important to ensure that the studs are fully bottomed out in the hole in the block and not hung up on damaged or corroded threads in the block preventing the stud from being fully seated. This is often indicated when the stud threads extend past the deck surface.

I have heard that some people have had trouble with newly installed cylinder head studs leaking water. How do I make sure I don’t have the same problem with my new ARP head studs?
Prior to installing your new head studs, it is very important that you have clean threads on both the block and the studs. First, clean up all the threads in the block with a thread-cleaning chaser, NOT a regular tap. Thread chasers are designed so that they do not remove material from threads but merely remove debris and corrosion. Make sure you go all the way to the end of the threads in the bottom of the hole. Then clean out all the holes in the block with brake or carburetor cleaner to remove all the debris. Make sure the threads on the new studs are clean. Use a liberal amount of ARP thread sealer, high temp silicone or Loctite to ensure that there will be no air pockets that can cause leaks. Then follow the ARP instructions for installing the fasteners.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 11-23-2020 | 08:39 PM

C63
Originally Posted by hachiroku
i would follow ARP's recommendations. i believe they have specs for each scenario.

https://arp-bolts.com/p/faq.php
I agree, I just found weistecs installation instructions very odd. I've never heard of that before and their response to my question was pretty generic with no real explanation.

Old 11-23-2020 | 08:58 PM

C63
Ahh nevermind, I have in my experience never installed wet deck headstuds, I will be following ARP recommendations and install them according to their directions.
Old 11-23-2020 | 10:21 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
just reviewed their instructions. they are correct. the difference is they don't apply RTV to the threads only to the washer and nut. I guess that keeps things cleaned in case of future rebuild and allows for correct torque due to use of moly assembly lube.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 11-23-2020 | 10:27 PM

C63
Originally Posted by hachiroku
just reviewed their instructions. they are correct. the difference is they don't apply RTV to the threads only to the washer and nut. I guess that keeps things cleaned in case of future rebuild and allows for correct torque due to use of moly assembly lube.
Yea but moly lube is usually used on the bottom of the nut for correct torque specs. Also the moly lube isn't doing anything being on the block side when the stud is installed already.

I feel using rtv on the block side to seal the threads and moly lube on the nuts is the correct way to install and torque them. Only having 1/8th inch of rtv under the washer doesn't seem real protective. I mean if you have to tear it down fir a rebuild you just chase the threads.
Old 11-29-2020 | 12:16 PM

C63
So updating this for anyone in the future. I used my borescope to investigate the stud/bolt hole. When going down I saw the hole goes through the deck and into a water jacket before before it hits the threads in the block. Heres a video to show what I mean.