C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Track Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 08:37 PM

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 (Final-Year) Fully-Loaded W204 M156 Custom Mercedes-Benz Designo C63 AMG Edition 507 Coupe
Question First Track Day

I'll start off by stating that I have plenty, plenty of track experience... on motorcycle. I've never tracked a full-sized car.
I'm going to Road Atlanta as a solo driver in April for a full-day on track event. My car is stock and currently on PS4S's that are a few months old. I've ridden Road Atlanta on motorcycle before.

What should I expect? What should I do before? What would my proper tire pressure be, considering dry, April, Georgia conditions? Should I bring specific items that a driver wouldn't have with them/in the car on a normal day?
I've watched videos, read other posts, and observed crash videos. I even practiced on Forza on the Xbox
My biggest concern are my brakes. They work perfectly well, but they squeal like CRAZY. I've done nothing to them other than blast them with brake cleaner.

Does anybody here have any track day experience of their own?
Old 02-05-2021, 12:20 PM

Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
2014 C63
Are you running the stock oil cooler? The M156 isn't the best for continuous running laps
The following 2 users liked this post by skullbox15:
Dogtag114 (02-06-2021), JumboNate (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 12:41 PM

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
W204 c63
Originally Posted by JumboNate
I'll start off by stating that I have plenty, plenty of track experience... on motorcycle. I've never tracked a full-sized car.
I'm going to Road Atlanta as a solo driver in April for a full-day on track event. My car is stock and currently on PS4S's that are a few months old. I've ridden Road Atlanta on motorcycle before.

What should I expect? What should I do before? What would my proper tire pressure be, considering dry, April, Georgia conditions? Should I bring specific items that a driver wouldn't have with them/in the car on a normal day?
I've watched videos, read other posts, and observed crash videos. I even practiced on Forza on the Xbox
My biggest concern are my brakes. They work perfectly well, but they squeal like CRAZY. I've done nothing to them other than blast them with brake cleaner.

In Florida I leave the PS4S tires on my car for track days if there is any chance of rain, which in FL is most of the time. They are quite capable on a wet surface and even during downpours at the track. I only swap to R888rs if its the dry season and weather looks great (I was driving car to track to start out and therefore couldn't bring an extra set of tires to track to swap out depending on weather).
I shoot for around 36psi hot tire pressure and definitely no higher than 38 hot with the mich PS4S.
So depending on whether you run nitrogen or air your starting point for cold pressure might differ a bit. Somewhere around 30psi cold pressure might be a good starting point. Of course you will have to factor in if you are driving the car to the track. You can also stagger your front and rear pressures a bit according to how your car behaves. Pay attention to how close to the edge of your tire tread the track wear shows, it will give you a general idea if your pressures are way off, if it starts to show wear past the edge of tread.

If you drive the car very far to track plan to air up your tires to proper street pressure before driving home.

Get in your car with the helmet you will be wearing and check your driving position before you go to the track. I am only 5'10" and with a helmet I touch the roof unless I lay the seat back slightly more than I like, so headroom in the coupes with pano sunroof is an issue unless you are on the short side.

Even fingerless driving gloves help keep your alacantra steering wheel from getting nasty when sweating during track sessions in hot climate.

Make sure your wheel hub/bearings are tight with minimal play especially if you have higher miles on the car.

Torque all your wheel lug bolts to spec before racing.. if you still have wheel locks make sure you have that adapter to torque those bolts.

Have a tow hook that you can screw in in case you have "an off" or "a mechanical" and need to get towed off the track.

A lot of people complain about high oil temps that lead to limp mode when tracking, I havent had this issue yet but certainly watching oil temp is worthwhile. Its on the AMG page of the dash display.

Watch for rear diff fluid puking out of vent tube after many hot lap sessions, could be a sign you need a bit of cooling help back there..

Pay attention to how transmission acts,, if it gets 'grumpy' feeling you may be heating trans fluid up too much.

Road Atlanta is a fairly fast track in spots. Stock brakes (Pads/rotors) in my car held up quite well during the first few track days but I had SRF fluid and stainless steel brake lines. i highly recommend srf brake fluid as other spec fluid is prone to boiling and that will end your day quickly if you aren't prepared.

Tracks and sanctioning bodies usually have minimum clothing requirements like sleeved shirts, long pants, closed toed shoes, etc. So don't show up like you are going to the beach. Most beginner track days don't require fire suits but its never a bad idea as also a fire extinguisher is never a bad idea.

If you drive the car to the track don't plan on having a bunch of stuff in the trunk. I bought a duffel style bag with handles on each end and that is long enough to reach the bag hooks on each side of the trunk so any loose stuff gets put in the bag and stayed put great in the trunk during laps when I used to drive car to the track.

Fresh fluids and proper fluid levels are a basic track prep also

that should get you started at least

Last edited by Dr.Speedfellow; 02-05-2021 at 01:09 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dr.Speedfellow:
danger450 (02-02-2024), DRBC43AMG (04-26-2021), JumboNate (02-05-2021), Slow_c63 (04-27-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 02:35 PM

2015 (Final-Year) Fully-Loaded W204 M156 Custom Mercedes-Benz Designo C63 AMG Edition 507 Coupe
Originally Posted by skullbox15
Are you running the stock oil cooler? The M156 isn't the best for continuous running laps
I am, yes.
I've read about that already from multiple other posts. Some drivers experience the car going into limp mode, or at the very least the car switching itself from M to S+.

Is this something I should look into modifying?
Old 02-05-2021, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Speedfellow
In Florida I leave the PS4S tires on my car for track days if there is any chance of rain, which in FL is most of the time. They are quite capable on a wet surface and even during downpours at the track. I only swap to R888rs if its the dry season and weather looks great (I was driving car to track to start out and therefore couldn't bring an extra set of tires to track to swap out depending on weather).
I shoot for around 36psi hot tire pressure and definitely no higher than 38 hot with the mich PS4S.
So depending on whether you run nitrogen or air your starting point for cold pressure might differ a bit. Somewhere around 30psi cold pressure might be a good starting point. Of course you will have to factor in if you are driving the car to the track. You can also stagger your front and rear pressures a bit according to how your car behaves. Pay attention to how close to the edge of your tire tread the track wear shows, it will give you a general idea if your pressures are way off, if it starts to show wear past the edge of tread.

If you drive the car very far to track plan to air up your tires to proper street pressure before driving home.

Get in your car with the helmet you will be wearing and check your driving position before you go to the track. I am only 5'10" and with a helmet I touch the roof unless I lay the seat back slightly more than I like, so headroom in the coupes with pano sunroof is an issue unless you are on the short side.

Even fingerless driving gloves help keep your alacantra steering wheel from getting nasty when sweating during track sessions in hot climate.

Make sure your wheel hub/bearings are tight with minimal play especially if you have higher miles on the car.

Torque all your wheel lug bolts to spec before racing.. if you still have wheel locks make sure you have that adapter to torque those bolts.

Have a tow hook that you can screw in in case you have "an off" or "a mechanical" and need to get towed off the track.

A lot of people complain about high oil temps that lead to limp mode when tracking, I havent had this issue yet but certainly watching oil temp is worthwhile. Its on the AMG page of the dash display.

Watch for rear diff fluid puking out of vent tube after many hot lap sessions, could be a sign you need a bit of cooling help back there..

Pay attention to how transmission acts,, if it gets 'grumpy' feeling you may be heating trans fluid up too much.

Road Atlanta is a fairly fast track in spots. Stock brakes (Pads/rotors) in my car held up quite well during the first few track days but I had SRF fluid and stainless steel brake lines. i highly recommend srf brake fluid as other spec fluid is prone to boiling and that will end your day quickly if you aren't prepared.

Tracks and sanctioning bodies usually have minimum clothing requirements like sleeved shirts, long pants, closed toed shoes, etc. So don't show up like you are going to the beach. Most beginner track days don't require fire suits but its never a bad idea as also a fire extinguisher is never a bad idea.

If you drive the car to the track don't plan on having a bunch of stuff in the trunk. I bought a duffel style bag with handles on each end and that is long enough to reach the bag hooks on each side of the trunk so any loose stuff gets put in the bag and stayed put great in the trunk during laps when I used to drive car to the track.

Fresh fluids and proper fluid levels are a basic track prep also

that should get you started at least
Awesome write up! Thank you for this!
I live in North Florida, so, I'll be driving the car to and from. We'll also be doing Tail of the Dragon. There's going to be a lot of driving!

I've got the pano roof, but am 5'7. Not concerned with head room w/helmet. I've got gloves. I've got new lug bolts on already. Don't have a tow hook installed. I've got the steel brake lines and better fluid. Clothes/gear, yup, nothing in the trunk, yup. I've got 2 months to truly plan this out and I'm hoping it'll come more naturally along the way.

I appreciate you!
Old 02-06-2021, 03:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2019 C43 (SOLD) & 2012 C63 P31
I tracked mine at Eagle's Canyon in Texas last May. Check your oil temperatures after each lap. Probably around the 3rd lap you should take it into the pits to cool off. Mine would go limp mode after 3-4 laps and losing power so suddenly on a highspeed track can be pretty dangerous for you and other cars around you.
You should get an upgraded oil cooler. The only one I know of is what's sold by SRG_63 on the forum.

Edit: Mine is a 2012 Performance pack, all stock except for 540hp tune.
The following users liked this post:
JumboNate (02-07-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,840 Likes on 1,675 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Very cool to see more C63’s on track.

Since you have until April, I’d look into a street/track pad that won’t be too aggressive to wear your rotors, low squeal, and something that would be ok to drive around on for awhile. You could even keep it on for the summer or longer if you think you’ll do more track days. Most pure street pads just aren’t made to withstand the heat you’re going to generate on track. You’d be surprised at how poorly OEM or Porterfield perform on track - they smear, wear and fade quickly. Maybe something like the Racing Brake XT960 which I thought was too soft for my use, but would be fine on stock brakes for both track and street while you get up to speed.

I just checked and have a set of XT970 rears here, brand new unopened. I have no use for them, if you want to pay shipping you can have them, then you just need to get a set of fronts. PM me if you want em.

Also as mentioned above, all good points, flush your brake fluid and use something that can take the high heat without boiling. There’s no worse feeling on track than your brake pedal going to the floor because you’ve boiled the brakes. I also use SRF, however it’s much more viscous and hygroscopic, which means that it doesn’t perform well when cold and you need to change it frequently because it absorbs water more readily. I also wouldn’t use SRF without braided brake lines. Motul RBF 600 is also DOT 4 and almost as good as the SRF, while being far more streetable. You won’t notice any difference in performance.

Oil - I like to change my oil after every 4 days the car’s been on track, and I have the 44O cooling and other mods. It feels about right, maybe excessive, and gives me cheap peace of mind. If you have relatively fresh oil in there now, you’ll want to change it after your event. If you don’t, and change it now before the event, you’ll want to just stick to the shorter end of your OCI whatever it is unless you put another event on the oil. With stock oil cooling, your oil is going to see repeated and sustained temps of 250-280F on track, and that’s not great for any oil. Fill to the bottom mark on the stick - a full pan is likely to get frothy from all the lateral G’s. I like using the LiquiMoly additive MOS2 for added protection - 2 bottles per fill.

Will post more things as I think of them. You’re going to have a ton of fun.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 02-06-2021 at 07:24 PM.
JumboNate (02-07-2021)

Trending Topics

Old 02-06-2021, 10:21 PM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
My AMG is my daily, but here is my pre, day and post checklist I keep on the phone for my track car. Every time I learn something, I add it to the list

Track Day Trip Prep

Have mechanic fill out tech form if required (depends on organizer)
Program Track/Hotel Location into CAR Nav
Check Wheel Torques
Charge USB Battery Backup, GPS and GoPro
Check Torques, Oil, Break Fluid, super Charger Coolant, Tire Depths, Brake Pads

Pack
Tech Form!
Umbrella, rain tarp, chair, towels, battery back up, big bag for staging stuff, compressor, tire repair kit, Kiwi ODB, iPhone mount, GoPro and mounts, large staging bag
Clothes, backpacks, chargers, personals, Dramamine/Advil (for new passengers)
Cooler: Monster, gator aid, water, nuts
Sunglasses, hat
Headphones
Tool Bag: Brake Fluid, Air Compressor, Air Pressure Gauge, Rags, microfiber cloths and detailer spray
Helmets, gloves, shoes, balaclava

Track Morning/Night Before
Fill Up Gas (prefind stations with 93)
Ice Cooler

Track Start
Remove Front Plate!!!
Apply Race Number
Empty Glove Box, Detach Flashlight and EDC
Charge Phone
Helmets
Track glasses
Kiwi - CONNECT
Mount and Power GoPro in VIDEO Mode
Mount and Power Track Addict
Enable GoPro Control
Power GPS and mount face to sky
Select Track and Start

Try 29 psi front, 32 rear to start, then bleed back to 31 33 Hot when warm after a lap. (Not for the C63, often you just bleed back hot close to 1-2 psi over the factory cold spec for track)
DO NOT USE PARKING BRAKE at the track!!!

Track Leave

Bring Tires Back up to Street Pressure
EZ Pass back up
Reload glove box, ready phone charger
Flashlight and EDC back
Detach Kiwi back to box with GoPro

Next Day Clean Up
Prewash and rinse
Clean calipers and Wheels
Wash and Dry Body
Mother's R3 for Rubber Marks
Recheck Air Pressures
Measure Pad and Tire Wear

Last edited by Dogtag114; 02-06-2021 at 10:27 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Dogtag114:
BLKROKT (05-10-2021), Case1906 (04-26-2021), CodySaurus (02-16-2021), hyperion667 (02-17-2021), JumboNate (02-07-2021), kaixdiego (02-16-2021), san40 (04-17-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-07-2021, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dogtag114
My AMG is my daily, but here is my pre, day and post checklist I keep on the phone for my track car. Every time I learn something, I add it to the list

Track Day Trip Prep

Have mechanic fill out tech form if required (depends on organizer)
Program Track/Hotel Location into CAR Nav
Check Wheel Torques
Charge USB Battery Backup, GPS and GoPro
Check Torques, Oil, Break Fluid, super Charger Coolant, Tire Depths, Brake Pads

Pack
Tech Form!
Umbrella, rain tarp, chair, towels, battery back up, big bag for staging stuff, compressor, tire repair kit, Kiwi ODB, iPhone mount, GoPro and mounts, large staging bag
Clothes, backpacks, chargers, personals, Dramamine/Advil (for new passengers)
Cooler: Monster, gator aid, water, nuts
Sunglasses, hat
Headphones
Tool Bag: Brake Fluid, Air Compressor, Air Pressure Gauge, Rags, microfiber cloths and detailer spray
Helmets, gloves, shoes, balaclava

Track Morning/Night Before
Fill Up Gas (prefind stations with 93)
Ice Cooler

Track Start
Remove Front Plate!!!
Apply Race Number
Empty Glove Box, Detach Flashlight and EDC
Charge Phone
Helmets
Track glasses
Kiwi - CONNECT
Mount and Power GoPro in VIDEO Mode
Mount and Power Track Addict
Enable GoPro Control
Power GPS and mount face to sky
Select Track and Start

Try 29 psi front, 32 rear to start, then bleed back to 31 33 Hot when warm after a lap. (Not for the C63, often you just bleed back hot close to 1-2 psi over the factory cold spec for track)
DO NOT USE PARKING BRAKE at the track!!!

Track Leave

Bring Tires Back up to Street Pressure
EZ Pass back up
Reload glove box, ready phone charger
Flashlight and EDC back
Detach Kiwi back to box with GoPro

Next Day Clean Up
Prewash and rinse
Clean calipers and Wheels
Wash and Dry Body
Mother's R3 for Rubber Marks
Recheck Air Pressures
Measure Pad and Tire Wear

Great list, thank you for the resource
Awesome photo
Old 02-07-2021, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Very cool to see more C63’s on track.

Since you have until April, I’d look into a street/track pad that won’t be too aggressive to wear your rotors, low squeal, and something that would be ok to drive around on for awhile. You could even keep it on for the summer or longer if you think you’ll do more track days. Most pure street pads just aren’t made to withstand the heat you’re going to generate on track. You’d be surprised at how poorly OEM or Porterfield perform on track - they smear, wear and fade quickly. Maybe something like the Racing Brake XT960 which I thought was too soft for my use, but would be fine on stock brakes for both track and street while you get up to speed.

I just checked and have a set of XT970 rears here, brand new unopened. I have no use for them, if you want to pay shipping you can have them, then you just need to get a set of fronts. PM me if you want em.

Also as mentioned above, all good points, flush your brake fluid and use something that can take the high heat without boiling. There’s no worse feeling on track than your brake pedal going to the floor because you’ve boiled the brakes. I also use SRF, however it’s much more viscous and hygroscopic, which means that it doesn’t perform well when cold and you need to change it frequently because it absorbs water more readily. I also wouldn’t use SRF without braided brake lines. Motul RBF 600 is also DOT 4 and almost as good as the SRF, while being far more streetable. You won’t notice any difference in performance.

Oil - I like to change my oil after every 4 days the car’s been on track, and I have the 44O cooling and other mods. It feels about right, maybe excessive, and gives me cheap peace of mind. If you have relatively fresh oil in there now, you’ll want to change it after your event. If you don’t, and change it now before the event, you’ll want to just stick to the shorter end of your OCI whatever it is unless you put another event on the oil. With stock oil cooling, your oil is going to see repeated and sustained temps of 250-280F on track, and that’s not great for any oil. Fill to the bottom mark on the stick - a full pan is likely to get frothy from all the lateral G’s. I like using the LiquiMoly additive MOS2 for added protection - 2 bottles per fill.

Will post more things as I think of them. You’re going to have a ton of fun.
Thank you for all of this information! I sent you a PM as well
Guys like you make this forum amazing lol I've read plentyyyy of your posts over the years

I've been using the Motul RBF 600, so it's good to see that recommended. For the LiquiMoly additive, you're saying you use 2 bottles per oil change or for each individual track day? I'm going to get some of that
BLKROKT (02-07-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Check this thread too. I have a track day coming up next weekend and had to look this up to refresh my memory.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...track-day.html
JumboNate (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 11:24 AM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 c63

Do you have the info on the track day? , I may try to get down there, haven't tracked my C63 yet either.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by kavik
Do you have the info on the track day? , I may try to get down there, haven't tracked my C63 yet either.
It's a half-private event, but through Chin Track Days.
This specific event sold out within the first ten minutes of going live. There are plenty more
Old 02-19-2021, 02:13 PM

Race track, rally, & road trip ready!!
Old 02-19-2021, 03:44 PM

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
2023 911 T, 2012 C63 AMG Coupe, 1989 560SL
Enjoy. Cannot wait to get my car back out on track this year.
JumboNate (02-20-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Arjy
Enjoy. Cannot wait to get my car back out on track this year.
You still here in SaMo? Going to Willow Springs tomorrow if you’re interested? Again on Mar 26.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:11 PM

You still here in SaMo? Going to Willow Springs tomorrow if you’re interested? Again on Mar 26.
How often do you go to the track? Always with the C63?
Old 02-20-2021, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How often do you go to the track? Always with the C63?
Well today is my first time in 2yrs. So I’m a little rusty and it shows. Will try to get back on my normal schedule and do at least a weekend event monthly.

Yes always with the C63
JumboNate (02-21-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 03:03 PM

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts
W204 C63
Great info, a lot of things I didn’t realize to prep for such as loose items in trunk or glove box. My first track run coming next weekend at Thunderhill with the C63. Super excited and I even got the cooler installed by SRG last week. We’ll see how she does.
JumboNate (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 02:49 PM

Well today is my first time in 2yrs. So I’m a little rusty and it shows. Will try to get back on my normal schedule and do at least a weekend event monthly.

Yes always with the C63
Awesome!

Do you run TC on, Sport, or off?
Old 02-21-2021, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Awesome!

Do you run TC on, Sport, or off?
Mostly on Sport. It’s pretty non-intrusive except when it saves me from my own stupidity. I’m not trying to be a hero, and I like being able to drive home. It may cost me a second or two a lap but I don’t care, I’m still fast.

1:37 best lap yesterday in traffic (and crazy weather - 50F with 40mph headwind on the front straight). I know the car has a 1:2x in it, just have to get more practice there and sort out my suspension issues. Could’ve used that ugly rear wing I sold last year, this track needs it.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 02-21-2021 at 03:43 PM.
JumboNate (02-22-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 09:13 AM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Oh, two things that you often see on the tech sheets for prep; removing center caps and removing florr mats. I have never seen either enforced so don't sweat those as long as they're secure.
I did however see a center cap come off a Corvette and if run over, would have had a good chance of cutting a tire, so do keep your eyes peeled for debris.

Last edited by Dogtag114; 02-28-2021 at 04:53 PM.
JumboNate (02-24-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 08:08 PM

My first AMG track day at Road Atlanta was an amazing success!!
(The stickers are rally decals from an AMG club I went with. Road trip to Tail of the Dragon)

Track
The following 9 users liked this post by JumboNate:
BLKROKT (04-25-2021), Dogtag114 (04-25-2021), DRBC43AMG (04-26-2021), Duffer4126 (04-25-2021), ghh923 (05-10-2021), mcderpa (04-26-2021), SDR (04-25-2021), Thrilla (04-26-2021), WolfpackC63 (04-27-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-10-2021, 01:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 c63
Just fyi...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mbca...5813220659804/

Still some open registrations for this saturday (515/21) Talladega Grand Prix Raceway ... I'm going...

Last edited by kavik; 05-10-2021 at 04:28 PM.