Sponsored by:

LSD and Drive Shaft

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2021 | 02:16 AM

C63 AMG
LSD and Drive Shaft

Howd'y gents,

Mod progress with the car is proceeding as usual, still awaiting a few bits and bobs to arrive before I have my headers and stuff fitted, as well as sorting out the cosmetic damage caused by a recent incident with a family member.

I have decided on an OS Giken LSD. However I am unsure if I should get an OS Giken superlock, or superlock TCD. The TCD is about $2k more than the standard superlock. What is the difference between the two? I sent an email to the local distributor here in Aus about 2 weeks ago, and I have yet to hear back from them with an answer.

My car will probably never see a track, if that makes a difference.

Also, I kind of like the idea of installing a DSS Carbon Fibre drive shaft, but I have a few questions about it.
1. Will it deteriorate from the engine heat?
2. Is it suitable for road use/daily use?
3. Any negative effects to drive ability?
4. Any advantages(besides weight reduction) to installing one?

Old 02-16-2021 | 03:31 AM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
The Superlock TCD is more for a daily driver as it engages more gently. also, the clutch packs last something like 3-5x longer before needing overhaul compared to the Superlock. The Superlock itself, doesn't need as much rebuilding as other brand clutch pack LSD units as its design is far superior. the Superlock is highly configurable and is the best LSD available to us.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 02-16-2021 | 10:51 AM

W204 c63
Had a TCD installed in mine recently. No noise, no engagement 'feel' to get used to, no clunks or clicks, etc. Very befitting of a daily driver in terms of smoothness and quiet operation and feels very planted and capable when nailing the throttle out of corners. It is supposed to have gear oil passages in/around clutches that keep it running cooler than other lsds. I am hoping that plus the passive diff cooling i added via finned diff cover and rectifier will be enough to keep it in good order during track days. OS Giken also has its own 80w-250 gear oil that seems like good insurance. Its a little pricey, OSG recommends putting in one of the other approved gear oils for the 1000 mile break in then swapping to the OSG gear oil. So far it feels like the best of both worlds, amazing performance but during normal driving you can't even tell its been modified.

Also from what I have heard the weight reduction on the driveshaft is only a couple to few lbs. So likely not a big performance gain for the money. I probably wouldn't do that until the stock piece needed replacing and I have no plans to supercharge the car where I would make enough power to warrant it.

Last edited by Dr.Speedfellow; 02-16-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-16-2021 | 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
There is exactly zero weight reduction on the carbon driveshaft. It feels very different though - more connected, better throttle feel - great mod. As far as bang for the buck though, it's not high up on that list.
The following users liked this post:
Dr.Speedfellow (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021 | 03:49 AM

C63
The carbon driveshaft is absolutely worth it IMHO. I snapped my stock driveshaft at the track with 473whp. The one piece is a great mod it takes up the slack in the driveline and everything feels smoother etc. If you look through my build thread I outline my instalation on it.
DRBC43AMG (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021 | 09:19 AM

W204 c63
Originally Posted by Phil1305
The carbon driveshaft is absolutely worth it IMHO. I snapped my stock driveshaft at the track with 473whp. The one piece is a great mod it takes up the slack in the driveline and everything feels smoother etc. If you look through my build thread I outline my instalation on it.
Nice to hear cf shaft is a worthwhile upgrade. were you on sticky tires at a drag strip? Did you have lots of hard launches on the stock ds?

Thx

Last edited by Dr.Speedfellow; 02-20-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2021 | 11:42 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Dr.Speedfellow
Nice to hear cf shaft is a worthwhile upgrade. were you on sticky tires at a drag strip? Did you have lots of hard launches on the stock ds?

Thx
I was on drag radials yes! But I only had maybe 6 passes before my stock driveshaft snapped. So not much at all.
Dr.Speedfellow (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021 | 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Panzerbiscuit
I have decided on an OS Giken LSD.

My car will probably never see a track, if that makes a difference.
IMO, I wouldn't waste my money on a clutch type if you'll never see the track. Not worth the maintenance either.

A helical type (Wavetrac, Quaife) will more than suit your needs.
hachiroku (02-22-2021)