Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 05:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Transmission Issue

Hi all

I hope you guys are doing well. I own a 2009 C63 with LTHs E85. Yesterday I was merging on the highway and did a WOT and all of a sudden my third gear just slipped. I never noticed any slips before so this was a surprise. I read the codes and it was P0894 and P0893 pending. Vehicle won’t take any throttle more than 15-20% in 3rd. On my way back I stopped in the parking lot and did the transmission/throttle reset with the key on and pedal pressed down. I always thought it doesn’t work or do anything but sure it worked this time. I started the car put it in D and no gears were engaging. Engine was free revving and gear was not engaging.

I put the mode in C and suddenly gear got engaged and I could drive back home. Later I test drove the car in manual and all the gears are working fine except the 3rd gear. What y’all think could have gone wrong??

I don’t think it is the conductor plate. I doubt it is friction clutch because it should have started slipping progressively and not all of a sudden. I am thinking it can be just a blowed 3rd piston seal. I would really appreciate your opinion on it?

Also do you know of a shop that can take care of this transmission in or around Michigan or surrounding states? I can do it at home too but I got another project sitting and taking the spot.

Thank you for looking into it. Have a great day.

Regards
Jay
The following users liked this post:
1sick63 (07-20-2023)
Old 10-05-2021, 08:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,051 Likes on 972 Posts
1999 E300TD
check your yellow pages or search foreign car repair in your area and dont go near anyone who does not have factory or equal diagnostics because it will get expensive with "i think its this shop"
Old 10-05-2021, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
I have a similar issue going on. 1st and 2nd gear work fine my 3rd slips above 2500rpm so does 5th. 4th gears fine.
Took the car to the shop and they said the trans is toast. So im getting a new rebuild trans from Germany and that's taking 4-6 weeks. hopefully this is not your problem. Maybe you just need a trans service and clean the valvebody up.
Good luck .
Old 10-07-2021, 07:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 Weistec C63 AMG & 2012 Ducati SF848
I have a 2011 model that began slipping/juddering awhile back. At first it was hardly noticeable but quickly became more-so. I grew up working summers in an auto shop owned by my grandfather and his father before. So this wasn't really a new thing so much, just more complicated. Mine was slipping between 2000-3000RPM, regardless of gear. So I diagnosed it as the torque converter going out. When I took it to my local MB dealer, they ran all the tests and used Xentry to lock the converter for testing. Sure enough they also are saying it's the torque converter. But just to be on the safe side, they "suggest" that I go ahead and replace the transmission as well. When I asked about the cost of torque converter replacement they came back with a $4000 price estimate, with an additional $4000 if I replace both. After doing some research, I was able to find the torque converter at either MB-Miami or MB Clearlake (I forget which) earlier this year for around $750.00. It has gone up now to around $950.00 or so if I remember correctly.

After my last visit to my local dealer for some minor work and having all sorts of things left undone or half done when I got it back, I'm about to go ahead with doing this TC replacement job on my own. I resolved all of coding problems with my own SDConnect4 unit from my last dealership visit...stuff like having to re-zero open and close positions for passenger window, sunroof, and several other things. Not huge problems, just really irritating problems that should never have been allowed to slip under the radar when they delivered it back to me.

So it's time to take it to someone that I can rely on to get the job done right...ME. Before I take it completely down though, I'm going to go ahead and do a full flush on the system, just to get an idea on whether it'll actually require the transmission replacement or not. Not too worried either way as this is a daily driver with 110k miles on it and although most of that mileage was highway driving, I've had VERY FEW problems that amounted to any major expense up to this point. And now that I'm not worried about voiding the warranty and extended warranty, it's time to play a little. So I'm not opposed to putting a bit into the old gal.

I hope you get a good solid diagnosis from a reputable dealership before having to sink a lot of money in your car. For me, I don't mind putting the money into it if it's actually needed. But MB dealers are usually either honest and provide excellent service and service advice, OR they're completely the opposite and screw everyone who walks in the door. I've met both types unfortunately. Good luck with your car and be sure to keep us posted on what you find out!

Tref
The following users liked this post:
AMGSPY (10-07-2021)
Old 05-23-2022, 11:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 P31 AMG
Did you have a loud whirring sound before your issues started to happen? I had mine checked by a mechanic and he said it’s was the TC. Transmission is ok but rarely push the car. I know it has a few shifts when cold where it sort of slipped or didn’t engagement properly…slip. Currently have 130k miles. His test was to remove all the accessory belts and test to see if the whirring sound is still present. According to him it was but I am not sure.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 mercedes c63
Originally Posted by Jaideep Singh
Hi all

I hope you guys are doing well. I own a 2009 C63 with LTHs E85. Yesterday I was merging on the highway and did a WOT and all of a sudden my third gear just slipped. I never noticed any slips before so this was a surprise. I read the codes and it was P0894 and P0893 pending. Vehicle won’t take any throttle more than 15-20% in 3rd. On my way back I stopped in the parking lot and did the transmission/throttle reset with the key on and pedal pressed down. I always thought it doesn’t work or do anything but sure it worked this time. I started the car put it in D and no gears were engaging. Engine was free revving and gear was not engaging.

I put the mode in C and suddenly gear got engaged and I could drive back home. Later I test drove the car in manual and all the gears are working fine except the 3rd gear. What y’all think could have gone wrong??

I don’t think it is the conductor plate. I doubt it is friction clutch because it should have started slipping progressively and not all of a sudden. I am thinking it can be just a blowed 3rd piston seal. I would really appreciate your opinion on it?

Also do you know of a shop that can take care of this transmission in or around Michigan or surrounding states? I can do it at home too but I got another project sitting and taking the spot.

Thank you for looking into it. Have a great day.

Regards
Jay
im also experiencing the same problem literally same problem from exactly what you said what was going on with yours? Do you have any social media I can text you on
Old 07-20-2023, 10:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by 1sick63
im also experiencing the same problem literally same problem from exactly what you said what was going on with yours? Do you have any social media I can text you on
@amgroar