Sponsored by:

ECU Replacement Options in 2021

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
ECU Replacement Options in 2021

Hi all. I was hoping to not have to post on this forum so soon, but **** happens. I purchased a super clean 2013 C63 about a week ago and I'm absolutely in love. Unfortunately the car is completely dead at the moment due to the ECU letting out the magic smoke. The issue that I'm running in to is that the ECU is backordered through Mercedes for God knows how long and I doubt they will code a new ECU to the car unless I purchase it through them. I have managed to locate a few supposedly new ECUs through 3rd party sellers and I intend to purchase one. What are my options for having the ECU coded to the car? From the calling around that I've done, there doesn't seem to be a local independent shop that has the equipment to code an ECU. I also haven't found any reputable online services that seem to be capable of saving me from the hell that I'm currently going through. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-15-2021, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends...
Unfortunately, a MB dealer is the only way to reprogram an ECU. You need what is called a "virgin ECU", where all previous programming is erased. Mercedes does not release the codes required in order to “virginize” used ECUs. I called everywhere. The consensus was that it’s a dealer only item. Sure, you have clowns who claim they can do it, but in the end they really cannot.

I went through the same situation with a 2002 E430 ( I still have the car and also own a 2011 C63).

There are two options, and I’d talk to the SA first, about the options before you spend any money. First, ask about the possibility of reprogramming a used ECU. They might do it. My local MB dealer did it. Be careful. I went through two ECUs, where the first would not take MB programing; a bad used ECU. Second, if they refuse, the only option is a new ECU and the programming via the dealer. The part is bloody expensive, but the programming should be an hour, hour and a half tops, thus not that costly.

Good luck in the rest of your journey.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:05 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
you'll need to order from dealer as if you were cloning an ECU requires a functional ECU to clone a copy from. you have no other way around this to my knowledge. eightysixtuned plans to support ECU cloning sometime in 2022 for those who would be interested.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com

Last edited by hachiroku; 12-15-2021 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Mercedes doesn't clone the ECUs. They start with a fresh one, download the specific ECU code for that specific vehicle VIN from Germany, and flash the new ECU on the bench. It requires a high-level access permission so it can't be done even at every dealership without them having to call a specially authorized MB employee to do the job (a larger dealership may have an authorized person on their staff but not all do).

Given the supply issues with Mercedes procuring a new ECU, they *might* agree to flash a used one (AFAIK there are no physical impediments to completely reprogramming a used unit), but you would need to get approval for the same beforehand, find and supply one yourself, and of course assume all the risk should the same not work. If there is a new ECU supply shortage it just might work in your favour as I suspect getting a used one is considerably cheaper than a new unit from MB. The programming itself is not a complex task and thus relatively inexpensive (a couple of hours of labour) once you have the two "magic" USB keys that allow it.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C63 AMG W204
Take your bad ECU to someone that can read and write to the ECU on the bench. 9 out of 10 times you can get the IMO info needed to write to a replacement ECU.

I'm pretty sure you can also use a full featured AUTEL diagnostic tool to write the vin to the ecu.