Ticking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG P31
Ticking

Hi everyone,

Just as a preface, I am aware that there are countless threads on these forums about ticks. I have spent the last couple of days reading the forums as a guest trying to understand these noises.

About a week ago I noticed for the first time a ticking noise when the car was idle. It’s most noticeable when the car is next to something. Whether or not this is normal and I’ve only started paying attention to it I am unsure. I cannot hear the tick when the windows are up. The ticks increase with engine revs. It seems to be louder on the right side (drivers side in Australia) next to the wheel. Noise persists even when engine is warm. No cam-shaft rattle on cold starts either. I have checked the oil several times now and the oil is fine.

A few days later I had lifter tick on start up. This went away once the engine was warm and has not returned. The lifter tick was audible even with the windows up and is unlike what I hear now. It is much quieter now.

I’ve tried to compare my own noises with the hood up and down with some videos posted on YouTube. I notice the same sort of tick from outside of the car with the hood down in some walkaround videos.

I have provided a video for the noise I hear from the outside of the car with the hood down as well as of the engine bay with the hood up:

I would gratefully appreciate any thoughts about this?

Last edited by cyasomeday; 04-09-2022 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:01 PM

Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
2014 C63
lifters... check the oil level. How many miles on the car?
Old 04-09-2022, 12:08 PM

C63 AMG P31
Oil when checked cold and warm is full. Car had about 125000km. 2013 model.

The lifter tick I had that went away quickly was far louder than this. I could hear that with my windows up.

This I can’t hear with my windows up. Only really when I’m next to something.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
It’s tough to hear in the video. Doesn’t sound like the lifter tick I’ve had. I can’t tell but that might be an exhaust leak. Almost sounds like DI tick (obviously the M156 is port injection). Maybe a pulley is on the way out? How old are the pulleys? Any idea of the area where the noise is coming from? I just can’t hear enough from the video
The following users liked this post:
cyasomeday (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 07:54 PM

C63 AMG P31
That’s interesting. Are exhaust leaks meant to increase with rpm? I will definitely get the car checked out soon. Just want to be fully aware of all the potential issues so I can be more switched on when talking with a service rep.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:30 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
2014 C63 507 Coupe
Yes, an exhaust leak sound will increase with RPM. If a spark plug wire is lose, and still arcing, it will make a similar sound.
The following users liked this post:
cyasomeday (04-10-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 11:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 C63 P31 coupe
Had this on mine and was a loose exhaust clamp. I bet you really notice it when you drive next to a building or something for the sound to bounce off of. Mine was super annoying.
Old 04-10-2022, 12:13 AM

C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by todthedod
Had this on mine and was a loose exhaust clamp. I bet you really notice it when you drive next to a building or something for the sound to bounce off of. Mine was super annoying.
yeah that’s exactly right. I’ve booked the first available time at Mercedes’ to get them to look at it, as well as explore the other potential issues, but I’m glad you’ve had the same issue too. Was it expensive to fix?
Old 04-10-2022, 03:16 AM

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
2013 C63 P31
Originally Posted by cyasomeday
yeah that’s exactly right. I’ve booked the first available time at Mercedes’ to get them to look at it, as well as explore the other potential issues, but I’m glad you’ve had the same issue too. Was it expensive to fix?
just crouch down... is it coming from your exhaust?
Old 04-11-2022, 11:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 C63 P31 coupe
Originally Posted by cyasomeday
I do all my maintenance myself. Once I had the car up on stands it took me 30 seconds. If that's what it is, they shouldn't charge you much at all. The clamps use fasteners that you tighten with external torx sockets. I've found that whenever I do work that requires me to loosen those clamps to move the exhaust (dropping rear lower control arms for instance), I always have to go back and tighten them up a second time after a few heat cycles or I get that annoying tick.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:57 PM

C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by todthedod
I do all my maintenance myself. Once I had the car up on stands it took me 30 seconds. If that's what it is, they shouldn't charge you much at all. The clamps use fasteners that you tighten with external torx sockets. I've found that whenever I do work that requires me to loosen those clamps to move the exhaust (dropping rear lower control arms for instance), I always have to go back and tighten them up a second time after a few heat cycles or I get that annoying tick.
I'm going to start looking at doing my own maintenance, I just need a bigger garage lol.

While I wait for the checkup at Mercedes, I've looked at a lot of walkarounds of the w204's with them idling and I can hear the same noise from the outside. I'm chalking the noise from the outside to being normal, the loose bracket if it can be loose near the front wheel arch, or the oil pump chain. But will keep listening and being open minded.