Sponsored by:

Questions on exhaust mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 c63 saloon
Questions on exhaust mods

I know this topic is done to death, and ive read a load of posts about exhaust modifications but cant seem to find anyone answering the questions im looking for. ( if im repeating someone then could you point me to the relevant thread )
I have a w204 2013 c63 with a stock exhaust system. I'm looking into exhaust modifications and would appreciate someone parting some knowledge for a newbie.

From what i've gathered the modifications i'd like to have done are to the secondary cats and the headers. I've seen two IPE headers with front pipe, one with sports cat and one with cat bypass, and i've seen scorpion secondary cat-delete pipes.

My questions are likely stupid to those who are knowledgeable on these things but would appreciate someone parting any information they have!

Firstly, with the IPE header + front pipe: I believe the sports cat (or bypass) is refering to the primary cats. Im assuming (living in the UK) I wouldn't want to risk bypassing primary cats for MOT purposes? Also i heard you can really smell the fumes without primaries.
Second question is, for similar reasons as above (MOT), i'd like to know if its worth gutting the existing secondary cats or purchasing high flow cats instead or doing a secondary cat delete. Are there any good high flow secondary cats that i could swap them out for?

So in total I would want IPE header + front pipe, and either secondary cat bypass pipe or high flow secondary cats and thats it?

As for other modifications i dont want to touch the muffler or resonator as I dont want drone and I dont want to loose too much of the AMG exhasust note.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2022, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,677 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
1. Yes. Yes. Yes.
2. Just get a bypass pipe, gutting isn’t worth it and neither are higher flow secondaries.

Total: Headers + high-flow primary cats + secondary cat bypass pipe

(please read the FAQ, all of this has been discussed as nauseum and there are many links there)
Old 06-28-2022, 02:01 PM

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts
2011 C63 AMG, 589hp
Living in the UK, look no further:
https://www.cksperformance.com/produ...hausts-headers
Old 06-28-2022, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 c63 saloon
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
1. Yes. Yes. Yes.
2. Just get a bypass pipe, gutting isn’t worth it and neither are higher flow secondaries.

Total: Headers + high-flow primary cats + secondary cat bypass pipe

(please read the FAQ, all of this has been discussed as nauseum and there are many links there)
many thanks, I shall check the FAQ’s also.
Old 06-28-2022, 04:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts
W211 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by swedepat
those look like the same headers a retailer here sells and is a copy and modification of another header sold here.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:20 AM

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts
2011 C63 AMG, 589hp
Or maybe, i dunno.
The ones stated original might be the copy
They fit great with cats and all, you can leave the aluminium rod (under the car) bolted on also.

I´ve got them on my car, and the welds and collectors says it´s not chinese junk as an another 'copy' is.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c63 amg w204 2014 steel gray
Depends the type of sound you’re going for , a lot of people prefer the signature AMG “bark” that nasty v8 spittin in yo face kinda bark which i prefer so i highly recommend mbh headers w no cats you can order with or without , secondary cat delete just fill in with some straight pipe , i took out my resonator also and bought some pipe and cut the flanged out parts off and fabricated it on a custom h pipe i made and i don’t even have headers yet and it sounds insane ! Still have the signature bark aswell there is a guy on the forum that buys cats you could sell yours and buy headers but overall I’d say i gained about 45% volume increase w no cats and my fabricated hpipe

Last edited by cwells98; 06-29-2022 at 10:16 AM.