Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBrace availability ending for 2016 and earlier models

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2022 | 11:25 AM

'14 507, '05 F-150, 1992 Ducati 900SS, 2000 Ducati ST2, Trek Fuel 98
MBrace availability ending for 2016 and earlier models

I am posting here rather than in electronics, because this is an engaged and technically savy forum. I received a letter this week from Mercedes indicating that the vendor that supplies the internet connectivity for older models using a 3g modem, will be retiring it’s 3g network. This means that MBrace and the Mercedes Me app will no longer function. I use both of these services frequently. They offer a CAN hub device from verizon called HUM as an alternative and it looks like it can replace some functions but not all. The letter indicates there will not be an upgrade available.

I asked a Mercedes service rep this question yesterday. He reported that it is unlikely MB will offer an upgrade path because they tried that before with another component (I think he said it was an analog to digital upgrade or a blue tooth upgrade) and MB created thousands of electronics upgrade boards and only sold a few hundred of them.

That being said, my questions are:
1.) is there a compatible 4g module from another Mercedes? The letter said it would impact several models up to 2016.

2.) If there is a compatible module, would it require reprogramming to function and if so, would MB be willing to do that? I suspect not. Maybe an independent MB trained technician?

3.) If you can find a module and it is plug and play, or you can get it programmed, will the service be available? They may simply tell you, we no longer support that vehicle.

if anyone has the technical knowledge to understand this, it would be incredibly helpful.

​​​​​​​bjones
Old 09-24-2022 | 11:51 PM

2013 c63 AMG P30 Coupe
Good news for me since I don't want my car communicating with or controllable by a third party.
Old 09-25-2022 | 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
The better question is have you ever used mbrace much less the bluetooth phone system? it's terrible. Why would you care, subscribe or pay for this service. Forget that nonsense and all these questions. Re-evaluate why you own a C63 and what other bad decisions and questions you're asking.
Old 09-25-2022 | 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
... Re-evaluate why you own a C63...
^ This.

If the gimmicks are of a greater importance than the performance of the car, I would respectfully suggest you're driving the wrong car.

The W204 was the last of the "old school" AMG cars. The W205 is just "meh", and while the new C63 looks awesome on paper with 4WD, hybrid w/ KERS, glass cockpit and a combined output of 671 hp, it weighs more than my ML does. I am sure it will sell because the vast majority of people buy it for the badge, toys and numbers and couldn't care less about how fast it can corner, and if you fall into that category (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it - most people do and Mercedes and every other mainstream manufacturer knows that and are building their cars accordingly), the last of the naturally aspirated "dinosaurs" is simply not the right car for you.

Old 09-25-2022 | 12:45 PM

'14 507, '05 F-150, 1992 Ducati 900SS, 2000 Ducati ST2, Trek Fuel 98
Why not both?

I agree that the heart of this car is the engine and it is the reason I purchased the car. That being said, while I am a gear head and will likely never get rid of this car because of its performance and pure nature, I am also a “tech geek” and I use and enjoy the “send to car” feature as well as valet protect and the concierge feature. To imply that I somehow have a lesser passion for the performance of the car because I enjoy and would like to continue using these features, could easily be extended to other convenience features such as power windows, keyless go and air conditioning.

I appreciate you support.
Old 09-25-2022 | 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Mercedes will send a letter with a suggested replacement service, if you were a subscriber to mbrace. The replacement is via Verizon.
I decided to just leave it alone.
Old 09-26-2022 | 04:01 AM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
what do you need it for? install a new screen based off an android unit and wifi tether to your cellular phone. i have an android and use the app tasker to switch on mobile hotspot when it connects to my cars bluetooth. once i leave the car, it switches the hotspot off. you could even use google voice assistant as well.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com