C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

63 Motorsports Preproduction Camshafts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 10:22 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2007 e63 estate, 1998 ITB golf, ITE scirocco (sold to a collector in Japan)
a real catch can does. it vents the intake to atmosphere. it lets the oil from the oil pan into a catch can. that's it. every race car in the world does that. no one wants to put oil into the combustion chamber. correct??
Old 06-21-2023, 10:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG
We have all the oil analyses as well as the original iteration of the M156 Stage I (non +) Lockplates.

Please reach out whenever for info.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by 63motorsports
We have all the oil analyses as well as the original iteration of the M156 Stage I (non +) Lockplates.

Please reach out whenever for info.
for sure!! i love what you guys are doing. i wish i were rich!!
Old 06-22-2023, 12:56 AM

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
2009 SL63 AMG
It's just painful trying to make sense of your rambling. Heresay is when one person repeats statements and utterances from another person. My evidence is first-hand: i tore down the top end of my M156, found lockplates with distorted and ramped pin holes. Replaced them with plates and pins with higher hardness numbers. They looked pretty good, too. I'm pretty confident that 63 Motorsports is not lying about the hardness of their plates. Likewise with the camshafts I found wear on multiple cam lobes, my experience with building small black Chevrolet race engines in the 70's and 80's (i'm a lot older than you) tells me that once the heat-treating is worn though wear accelerates. I got cams back looking like jewelry, again I'm confident the new surfacing is harder and more durable. So unless you want to grow a pair and stop intimating about lies, call it what it is I don't see how you're contributing anything to this community.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by KLinNBC
It's just painful trying to make sense of your rambling. Heresay is when one person repeats statements and utterances from another person. My evidence is first-hand: i tore down the top end of my M156, found lockplates with distorted and ramped pin holes. Replaced them with plates and pins with higher hardness numbers. They looked pretty good, too. I'm pretty confident that 63 Motorsports is not lying about the hardness of their plates. Likewise with the camshafts I found wear on multiple cam lobes, my experience with building small black Chevrolet race engines in the 70's and 80's (i'm a lot older than you) tells me that once the heat-treating is worn though wear accelerates. I got cams back looking like jewelry, again I'm confident the new surfacing is harder and more durable. So unless you want to grow a pair and stop intimating about lies, call it what it is I don't see how you're contributing anything to this community.
first. you're not a lot older than i. you have no evidence for that. i know what hearsay means. you're correct in your description. you're probably correct in that i ramble. however, this "grow a pair" is ridiculous. i did not intimate anything. in fact, read the stuff i wrote before you get on your high horse. i don't think that you're helping the community by your short term evidence. so, you replaced your lockplates that had how many miles? with new ones that had fewer (by how many?) if you had replaced them with the OEM units, would they have shown wear? i don't know why you're so supportive of 63 motorsports. like i wrote, like 5X, they seem to do great stuff. there is just no evidence...no data.
you're really kind of rude at this point. you show no evidence, you claim that you're some sort of engine builder, you assault me with stuff about my ********* and, and you say that i intimate lies. wow! look in the mirror, fellow. well i like what 63M is doing and trying to do, fanboys like you do not help them remotely. AGAIN, i like what 63M is doing and to what they aspire. i just wish there were more data so support their claims. YOU don't help because you have only anecdotal evidence.
finally, growing a set? really? really? what the heck does that have to do with this??
Old 06-22-2023, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 394 Likes on 266 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I'm not sure too many people are going to do proper r&d for some cams that they sell in very low quantities. The price of it would make them probably double or triple. Hardened coatings aren't new, if they are properly done they should last far longer than the stock untreated units. You don't even need to r&d that it's just a fact. I guess like was stated do you trust the shop knows how to treat them or not? I mean if you wanted you could buy some and some machinery or drive with them through different conditions to test, then come back with your findings. Or you could offer to pay for them to provide some testing information before you use them. Or just don't and go through someone else.
the pcv system on a race car running extremely high rpm and throttle with tons of constant blow by and positive crank pressure is different than a street car putting around down doing 1200-1500 rpm's. The vacuum of the intake is used to provide vacuum to the crankcase to aid in ring sealing which helps in both fuel mileage and longevity as it's sucking the unburnt fuel vapours back into the intake instead of turning into acids inside the pan. All the air is metered that's the point of keeping it sealed. This has all been studied endlessly and you can find tons of information on this. If your building an m156 race car and or perhaps even just forced induction your system of venting to atmosphere you are describing may actually be better.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:40 AM

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
2009 SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by sciroccor
first. you're not a lot older than i. you have no evidence for that. i know what hearsay means. you're correct in your description. you're probably correct in that i ramble. however, this "grow a pair" is ridiculous. i did not intimate anything. in fact, read the stuff i wrote before you get on your high horse. i don't think that you're helping the community by your short term evidence. so, you replaced your lockplates that had how many miles? with new ones that had fewer (by how many?) if you had replaced them with the OEM units, would they have shown wear? i don't know why you're so supportive of 63 motorsports. like i wrote, like 5X, they seem to do great stuff. there is just no evidence...no data.
you're really kind of rude at this point. you show no evidence, you claim that you're some sort of engine builder, you assault me with stuff about my ********* and, and you say that i intimate lies. wow! look in the mirror, fellow. well i like what 63M is doing and trying to do, fanboys like you do not help them remotely. AGAIN, i like what 63M is doing and to what they aspire. i just wish there were more data so support their claims. YOU don't help because you have only anecdotal evidence.
finally, growing a set? really? really? what the heck does that have to do with this??
You stated you're 57 years old in an earlier post. I am 66 years old, therefore a lot older than you. WTF are you talking about, I have no evidence to that. You unearthed a dead thread from last year and did so to do no more than question the opinion expressed therein. Now trying to justify your nonsense with circular, silly arguments about heresy and evidence. You profess mechanical aptitude but aren't doing a mundane gasket and sealing job because... you're moving, don't have a garage, the dog ate your tools, whatever. You're a laugh riot. And I'm done with this.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by deadlyvt
I'm not sure too many people are going to do proper r&d for some cams that they sell in very low quantities. The price of it would make them probably double or triple. Hardened coatings aren't new, if they are properly done they should last far longer than the stock untreated units. You don't even need to r&d that it's just a fact. I guess like was stated do you trust the shop knows how to treat them or not? I mean if you wanted you could buy some and some machinery or drive with them through different conditions to test, then come back with your findings. Or you could offer to pay for them to provide some testing information before you use them. Or just don't and go through someone else.
the pcv system on a race car running extremely high rpm and throttle with tons of constant blow by and positive crank pressure is different than a street car putting around down doing 1200-1500 rpm's. The vacuum of the intake is used to provide vacuum to the crankcase to aid in ring sealing which helps in both fuel mileage and longevity as it's sucking the unburnt fuel vapours back into the intake instead of turning into acids inside the pan. All the air is metered that's the point of keeping it sealed. This has all been studied endlessly and you can find tons of information on this. If your building an m156 race car and or perhaps even just forced induction your system of venting to atmosphere you are describing may actually be better.
good points. it it's balanced, then why are intake manifolds full of oil in teardowns? i'd love to read something about MAF reading what the PCV valve is sending back into the intake manifold. as you wrote, there probably is whole bunch of stuff about it. frankly, i was hoping that i could have an intelligent conversation about it rather than someone telling me about my testes.
as far as the the R and D about the cams, i wholly agree. for example, here's what i read when i was younger: Marks' Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers - Wikipedia it says an awful lot about coefficients of friction and wear. everything that m56 has published is in concord with that book. the thing is that, while the do everything right as far as engineering, they just don't have any proof. and, how can they if their products are new? if after 10kmiles, there's no wear, then, there's no wear. how about 50k? the answer is that they haven't been tested for that long. that's fine!!! i didn't mean to offend anyone and i don't understand why so many are.
Old 06-22-2023, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by sciroccor
a real catch can does. it vents the intake to atmosphere. it lets the oil from the oil pan into a catch can. that's it. every race car in the world does that. no one wants to put oil into the combustion chamber. correct??
Ok
The following users liked this post:
SteeleyAMG (06-23-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 04:18 PM

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG
Part of the reason why we stopped publishing results and findings after 15k kms is because we would rather throw the car on track than make someone feel “good” about results.

These conversations will continue to occur and I suggest letting it go for all parties involved and ignore the unnecessary external monologues, in most cases.
The following 3 users liked this post by 63motorsports:
djr48312 (06-22-2023), mthis (06-23-2023), sciroccor (07-26-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 09:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by GarlicBread
Now we need an intake manifold replacement and ill sleep fine at night.

A supercharger should be a choice not a determined fate.
We can get Wilson Manifolds to make us a clone of the M159 Intake manifold. Maybe our version would have replaceable trumpet stacks, one set in the stock length and another set a little bit shorter for even higher rpm. They make custom manifolds for $2000-$3000.

We could get cost down by ordering in a group of 10 or more.
Old 10-10-2023, 12:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2009 c63
Does 63 Motorsports have dyno sheets showing the results of their camshafts?
Old 10-10-2023, 02:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts
W211 E63 AMG
they posted on their instagram
The following users liked this post:
djr48312 (10-10-2023)