Timing rusty crankshaft pulley for cam adjuster replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2024, 01:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Timing rusty crankshaft pulley for cam adjuster replacement

Hi all,

I知 about to work on replacing my cam adjusters and lifters but I知 having an issue with the crankshaft pulley and adjusting it to 40 degrees because the coating peeled off and it痴 rusty now. Would the timing tool only go one way at the back of the cams? So it値l only snug in one position, right? If I rotate the pulley until the timing tool snugs at the back of the cam, would that work?

I値l get the pulley replaced after this job of course. Not sure about replacing/timing it so I値l have that done at the dealer maybe. Any idea how to proceed right now?
Old 06-06-2024, 03:47 PM

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts
1998 E300TD
If you assume that the engine timing is currently set correctly, yes...you can lock in the front and rear cam tool and presume that is at 40* (Be sure to check the cam tool on both sides). I would mark the crank pulley with paint pen, scratch it, or something. Just in case the engine gets bumped, so you can reset it to the same position before tightening everything else down.

If you have the tools and a lift, doing the crank pulley from below isn't that bad. I would recommend the flywheel lock tool. Doing from above is a little more painful.