Sponsored by:

First time buying a Mercedes, need some help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2024, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silverado Camry
First time buying a Mercedes, need some help

I’ve been wanting a Mercedes for a while now. And have recently started looking into the w204 (2013) model year. I just have a couple questions before getting into this whole world lol. Around what mileage should I look for when looking for one? I saw one with 85k miles, would that be too many miles? I mainly want a car to daily drive in the summer, I don’t drive much, but would still like to take into account the main services and all of that. Basically am I in over my head? Like the car would be bought out, but I don’t want a money pit. I know that some newer models have insane service prices for air suspension and what not. Is there another model I should look into? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Old 07-13-2024, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
There isn't a set mileage that is ideal. Of course everyone wants one with lower mileage, but that comes with a higher price as well. As long as it has records and was taken care of, the W204 lasts a good long time. A C63 will be very different from a E63 and other models, the only real thing you can do is to test drive them.

Judging from the mileage you mentioned, I can somewhat understand the price range you are looking for. Worrying about maintenance, you may not want to dive into a C63 if that is your main concern. Even if you get an amazing/cheap deal on a C63 with 500k miles, it will still have that Mercedes tax for when it needs to be fixed. Not saying they are a money pit, but just like any other luxury brand, prices/parts can be on the higher side.

Unexpected repairs do come up, but for the most part it is just oil changes ($100-150) and tires ($1200ish) for my C63. Depending on how much you drive, those prices could be yearly or every other year.

Last edited by INS1GNIA; 07-13-2024 at 02:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lavarods (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silverado Camry
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
There isn't a set mileage that is ideal. Of course everyone wants one with lower mileage, but that comes with a higher price as well. As long as it has records and was taken care of, the W204 lasts a good long time. A C63 will be very different from a E63 and other models, the only real thing you can do is to test drive them.

Judging from the mileage you mentioned, I can somewhat understand the price range you are looking for. Worrying about maintenance, you may not want to dive into a C63 if that is your main concern. Even if you get an amazing/cheap deal on a C63 with 500k miles, it will still have that Mercedes tax for when it needs to be fixed. Not saying they are a money pit, but just like any other luxury brand, prices/parts can be on the higher side.

Unexpected repairs do come up, but for the most part it is just oil changes ($100-150) and tires ($1200ish) for my C63. Depending on how much you drive, those prices could be yearly or every other year.
I’m new to the site so I’m not sure if this is how you reply but I appreciate the insight. I’ll definitely do some test drives, so I’ll definitely look out for cars with lower miles. Would you recommend going to buy out of state for a worth while car? There seems to be very limited options where I’m at, IL. Also are there any other models you would recommend, preferably without that air suspension or other major failing components? That’s why the w204 seems like the sweet spot.
Old 07-13-2024, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by lavarods
I’m new to the site so I’m not sure if this is how you reply but I appreciate the insight. I’ll definitely do some test drives, so I’ll definitely look out for cars with lower miles. Would you recommend going to buy out of state for a worth while car? There seems to be very limited options where I’m at, IL. Also are there any other models you would recommend, preferably without that air suspension or other major failing components? That’s why the w204 seems like the sweet spot.
Absolutely, feel free to look around. I found my C63 in LA (I'm from KS). The C63 you are looking at won't have air suspension so you won't have to worry about that (unless aftermarket was added). As far as other models/same price range, I'm not too experienced with. The C43 or even newer C63's price range would be a big jump.
Old 07-13-2024, 09:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 C63
I bought a 2010 84k mile C63 1.5 years ago with full service history from MB Beverly Hills. The BMW dealership in Berkeley also did a bunch of basic maintainence (new brakes, tires, windsheild wipers, struts, and so on) before I bought it. The car was perfect minus some common things that popped up I'm assuming due to the mileage like the electronic steering lock failing and a fuel pump losing pressure. My advice is to just have a couple grand saved up in case you have some unexpected work that needs to be done.

One thing I would've done different and I tell anyone in the market for an m156 vehicle is to test drive of course and also bring a mechanic if you can to pop off a valve cover and take a look at the condition of the cams, lifters and adjusters. After joining the w204 c63 community I've noticed some people getting the adjuster rattle or lifter tick and abandoning the issue simply by putting their car up for sale as is and in "great condition". Hell, I heard of someone who works at carmax, bought a traded in 507 before they listed it for sale and turns out one of the cams had a crack right down the middle!
Old 07-13-2024, 02:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W204 C63 AMG
Bought a 2013 P31 C63 with 60k miles for $33k last October on BaT. I knew what I was getting into because I already have owned a fleet of Volvos but addimitantly they are less problematic than Mercedes are. Since then here's the work I've done to it to address problems areas:
  • Replaced the ESL as a preventative measure $450 (Locksmith for programming, then DIY install)
  • Got a spare key added to the car, it only came with one $550 (Locksmith)
  • Got two physical blade keys made, the original blade key that came on the key was not the right key for my car: $300 (dealership)
  • Cam phasers failed last month $1350 for the plates, covers, hardware (63motorsports)
  • While i'm doing the cam phasers, I'm also installing SLS BS buckets as a preventative measure $1500 (dealership, DIY install)
  • Oil changes from the dealership are $350 but easy to DIY on your own
  • Installed mr12volt Android Auto / Apple Carplay interface $550 (Mr12Volt, DIY install)
  • Built and installed a custom wiring harness for the Valentine 1 and dash cam ~$100 in parts (DIY install)
  • Bought an Autel MX900TS diagnostic tablet to aid in troubleshooting all of my cars, not just the Mercedes $1000 (Amazon)
  • Fixed the carbon fibre trim that was peeling from the dash, just needed some 2-part epoxy and clamps and 12 hours.
It's not exactly a cheap car to own, but I'd imagine once I take care of the common failure points it will last a long time. Still need to replace the injectors since they are known to stick open when old and hydrolock the engine, and still need to update
The following 2 users liked this post by poots:
NZ-Merc (07-13-2024), svtjocson (07-13-2024)