Chris Harris confirms next C63 will be RWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give us AWD and DCT for the next C63.
If not, I will just buy a Audi S6.

AWD is the ONLY reason I am considering a AMG.
My RWD Corvette already blows away anything with a star on the hood.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tjdehya
You live in DC? How often does it snow there? lol.
Its quite easy, for the 2-3 days it snows every 3 years just don't drive like an idiot and you will be OK.
The C63 will be more fun to drive that an E63.
TWO stupid post from a self centered and uneducated guy living in VEGAS telling us in the NYC area what WE need and want.

It's not snow that's the issue, dummy.
It's low traction when you combine cold and wet with a high powered car.

Last edited by TT C6; 02-03-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zibby43
The C63 on snow tires really is great. As I've said before, we've had the snowiest winter on record here in my State and I've never once had an issue with getting where I've needed to be.

As far as the swaps go, if you get a dedicated set of snow tires/wheels, you can change them out yourself in your garage or driveway. If you had a shop do it, it's only 6 total swaps over a period of three years.
No thanks.
I'll take the obvious choice to every intelligent person and buy an AWD vehicle for my cold winters and ski trips.

2014 E63, Audi, Porsche, GTR, etc have made compromises between performance and all season driving a thing of the past.
If you can afford a C63, you shouldn't be compromising anyway.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pdjafari
I loved my C63 but it wasn't practical. I refuse to own 2 cars and pay for 2 parking spots. This small snow storm (we just had on the East Coast) is a perfect reason for why I would need a FWD or AWD car. I was hoping the option of 4matic would at least be available on the 2015. I love the styling of the 2015 renderings of what the AMG may look like but I'm afraid w/o AWD I can't buy it.

Some say the C63 on snow tires is great, I don't want to waste my time driving to/from a garage to swap wheels/tires or constantly have to worry.

I'll either have to scoop up a CLA AMG or perhaps a 2014 1 yr CPO E63 w/ 4MATIC.
I agree.
2014 E63, Audi S6, or even Audi S4 are all great choices.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MB_Fahrer
No. Just no.

0-60 and 1/4 mile times aren't everything. Some of us like to go around corners in out cars, and the C63 is setup beautifully for that. Throw AWD in the equation and you can forget about any kind of decent handling.
Oh ya?
Tell that to the 911 Turbo, Audi R8, Gallardo, GTR, Veyron, etc.
It's funny to me how many stupid and completely uneducated people run their mouths about AWD with absolutely NO idea what they're talking about.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ingenieur
interview with AMG chief Tobias Moers at the Detroit show
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...eries-in-store

And it will indeed be rear-wheel drive, not all-wheel drive like the larger 4Matic-only AMG models. In fact, the regular 2015 C-Class will come in rear-drive form as well, in the first half of 2015, in C300 form.
"I think the C-Class is a little bit more fun to drive than the E-Class. The E-Class is more about every day usability," said Moers. "You can have a lot of fun with the car on track with our 4Matic system, but I think the C-Class is more dedicated to fun-to-drive, more sporty, more race track--sometimes a little more sideways. That's the reason it's a rear-wheel drive car."
Hey Toby-
Don't be a complete idiot and at least offer the C63 with the OPTION of AWD.

I already have a superior RWD track car that is more fun to drive than any Mercedes will every be. And, it only cost me $60k.
Stick to offering the best performance sedans for daily commuting (AWD) and leave the RWD track/performance coupes to those who know how to make them.

No AWD for the C63 will make the car a complete failure.
I'll simply buy a Audi instead,
Old 02-03-2014, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by TT C6
No AWD for the C63 will make the car a complete failure.
That is the most outrageous thing I've ever read on this board.

And that's saying a lot.

The W204 C63 was RWD and was a massive success.

Can we please not judge a car that has not even been revealed yet? It's puerile and embarrassing to see in our forum.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Banned

That is the most outrageous thing I've ever read on this board.

And that's saying a lot.

The W204 C63 was RWD and was a massive success.

Can we please not judge a car that has not even been revealed yet? It's puerile and embarrassing to see in our forum.
No AWD= FAILURE
I don't need to wait for the unveiling.

2014 E63, S7, Panamera, etc are ALL All Wheel Drive.

Frankly, if I wanted a RWD Sedan, I would buy a CTS-V.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:21 AM

Gtr
I haven't posted for a few weeks but as said, I had a CTS-V that I sold because here, for 6 months, it's like near 32 and often a lot Under or a bit higher, with snow, depending on the day in those 6 months. RWD just doesn't put the power on the ground properly in those conditions so for me, it's AWD for the future but the C63 will still be hell of a car
Old 02-04-2014, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Its quite easy, for the 2-3 days it snows every 3 years just don't drive like an idiot and you will be OK.
The C63 will be more fun to drive that an E63.
It's not snow that's the issue, dummy.
It's low traction when you combine cold and wet with a high powered car.
See my post above... the same applies.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:49 PM

2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
Oh ya?
Tell that to the 911 Turbo, Audi R8, Gallardo, GTR, Veyron, etc.
It's funny to me how many stupid and completely uneducated people run their mouths about AWD with absolutely NO idea what they're talking about.
And that's exactly why I've been taking a closer look at the 911 and GTR (along with the E and CLS). I think BMW made the right move keeping the power increase to just above 400hp/tq with rear wheel drive in the new M3/M4. A C63 with a bunch more power and torque is a recipe for disaster without AWD, but it's ok I'm sure the smoke show will look good in my rear view
Old 02-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Banned

See my post above... the same applies.
I agree. The same observation that you are an idiot still applies.
I see the idiot with slow cars in VEGAS is still trying to tell owners of FAST cars in the SNOWBELT how WE should drive our cars.
There is no limit to stupidity, and apparently no shame either.

Last edited by TT C6; 02-04-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
More power going to just the real wheel makes no sense for the C63 or what ever its going to be called due to the FACT that those tires are rather skinny (10.5 inches wide max) unless they throw some proper wide tires (12+ inches) the power means nothing. look at ford gt500, dodge viper etc, they cant put that power down.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by cookstar
More power going to just the real wheel makes no sense for the C63 or what ever its going to be called due to the FACT that those tires are rather skinny (10.5 inches wide max) unless they throw some proper wide tires (12+ inches) the power means nothing. look at ford gt500, dodge viper etc, they cant put that power down.
It's pretty easy to change to a wider tire.

I agree it would be nice to get a wider tire from the factory but it's very easy to upgrade the width with no modification required.

Even with the skinny tires, Car & Driver put down 3.7 second 0-60 times all day with a standard C63. This was in 2012 in a comparison test against the E9X M3.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
No AWD= FAILURE
I don't need to wait for the unveiling.

2014 E63, S7, Panamera, etc are ALL All Wheel Drive.

Frankly, if I wanted a RWD Sedan, I would buy a CTS-V.
So the F80 M3 is a failure then too?

If you like a big, heavy, AWD car that drives itself and is prone to understeer, go for it.

I like to have a little fun with stepping the rear out once in a while. Power sliding on a track with a RWD car = smiles and fun and pillowing smoke for me.

There are some great AWD performance cars but there are certain cars that should remain RWD: the C63 and the M3.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
It's pretty easy to change to a wider tire.

I agree it would be nice to get a wider tire from the factory but it's very easy to upgrade the width with no modification required.

Even with the skinny tires, Car & Driver put down 3.7 second 0-60 times all day with a standard C63. This was in 2012 in a comparison test against the E9X M3.
you can go from 10 to 11 but not from 10 to 12's. thats where you get rubbing, crappy vehicle stance etc etc etc. I dont understand why a CLA that has 355 hp is awd but the C-class with what is rumored to be 480-500 Hp has rwd
Old 02-04-2014, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by cookstar
you can go from 10 to 11 but not from 10 to 12's. thats where you get rubbing, crappy vehicle stance etc etc etc. I dont understand why a CLA that has 355 hp is awd but the C-class with what is rumored to be 480-500 Hp has rwd
The CLA is a FWD car so the CLA45 had to be AWD or a Tourqe-steer monster. The C63 will just remain what it has always been. I wouldnt be surprised if AWD will at least be an option at some point in the future though.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Received 506 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
TT and Tjde, give it a rest please.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Banned

So the F80 M3 is a failure then too?
Uhhhh, YES. That is EXACTLY what I am saying.
BMW has been a failure for some time.
The V8 M5 was the last BMW worth buying

I like to have a little fun with stepping the rear out once in a while. Power sliding on a track with a RWD car = smiles and fun and pillowing smoke for me.
There are some great AWD performance cars but there are certain cars that should remain RWD: the C63 and the M3.
Then, you're buying the wrong cars.
Go buy a C7 Corvette if you want a proper RWD performance car.

The cars we are discussing areluxury sedans for daily driving in comfort.
I want to relax on my drive to my ski house in Vermont (AWD), but still have fun on the dry highways in the summer (DCT, V8 TT).

Even in a tropical climate, AWD makes commuting in the rain easier and allows you to launch the car efficiently. Not to mention, when you start making REAL power, anything that improves traction is a plus.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rock
TT and Tjde, give it a rest please.

Thanks
Just pointing out the obvious.
If people don't want to get called out, they shouldn't make stupid posts.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Received 506 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Just pointing out the obvious.
If people don't want to get called out, they shouldn't make stupid posts.
Really? I only saw a differing opinion about how to optimally design a car. If you cannot discuss this topic without hurling personal insults then please move on.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rock
Really? I only saw a differing opinion about how to optimally design a car. If you cannot discuss this topic without hurling personal insults then please move on.
I find some guy who lives in VEGAS telling people who live in the NORTHEAST not to drive like an idiot and that we don't need AWD for the SNOW to be insulting.

If AMG screws up the C63 like it sounds like they are, I WILL be moving on.
Just like I did on my last purchase.

Last edited by TT C6; 02-04-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
I find some guy who lives in VEGAS telling people who live in the NORTHEAST not to drive like an idiot and that we don't need AWD for the SNOW to be insulting.

If AMG screws up the C63 like it sounds like they are, I WILL be moving on.
Just like I did on my last purchase.
Dude why are you still lingering around then?

We get it. You want an AWD car. I respect your choice.

But some of us prefer RWD cars. OK? That's our preference. And thus, we are thrilled that the C63 will be remaining RWD.

And regarding the Corvette, I don't want to daily drive something with a mediocre interior and two seats.

And why do you like the F10 M5? It's RWD.

If anything you should be all over the E63/E63-S 4MATIC.

I have seen record snowfall totals in my State this year and with snow tires and Comfort Mode, I've gotten everywhere I've needed to go.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Banned

First, let me start by saying I love your C63 sedan.
Nice car.
If I wanted a lease a RWD sedan, that would be my choice.

Dude why are you still lingering around then?

Hope

We get it. You want an AWD car. I respect your choice.
No. You don't. You want to deny people the OPTION of AWD.
Every intelligent person knows a STREET car, especially a 4,000+ lbs LUXURY SEDAN, benefits from AWD.

But some of us prefer RWD cars. OK? That's our preference. And thus, we are thrilled that the C63 will be remaining RWD.

No. It's not OK. RWD is inferior for a 4,000+lb LUXURY SEDAN.

And regarding the Corvette, I don't want to daily drive something with a mediocre interior and two seats.

The 2015 C-class interior exposes your interior for what it is.... UGLY.
My C7 interior looks better than the crap you have, and my Corvette will BLOW your fat and slow sedan off the road.

And why do you like the F10 M5? It's RWD.

That car is almost FIFTEEN YEARS old. The only car worth buying with AWD FIFTEEN YEATS AGO was a 911 Turbo.

If anything you should be all over the E63/E63-S 4MATIC.

Too fat. Inferior transmission. Bloated price. Ugly interior....like yours

I have seen record snowfall totals in my State this year and with snow tires and Comfort Mode, I've gotten everywhere I've needed to go.

Cool story, bro.
I would think your experience would have taught you what every educated person knows: AWD is superior to RWD on cold and wet roads, and especially on snowy roads.
AMG needs to offer AWD and DCT if they want a 1st class sports sedan in 2014.
I don't have a problem if they want to offer RWD and a sluchbox for the knuckledraggers who want it,
But, don't try to deny others a world class sports sedan with modern technology.
There is a reason the SLS Black only comes with a DCT.
There is a reason the 2014 E63 is AWD only in the US.

Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti, GTR, Audi, etc, etc, all choose DCT and AWD for a reason.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
First, let me start by saying I love your C63 sedan. Nice car. If I wanted a lease a RWD sedan, that would be my choice.

You want to deny people the OPTION of AWD. Every intelligent person knows a STREET car, especially a 4,000+ lbs LUXURY SEDAN, benefits from AWD.

Never did I say I want to deny people the option of RWD. Also, the W204 C63 does not weight 4,000+ lbs. It doesn't even weigh 4,000 lbs. And the new W205 is going to weigh at least 110 lbs lighter than the current generation. Way to check your facts.

No. It's not OK. RWD is inferior for a 4,000+lb LUXURY SEDAN.

In your opinion.

The 2015 C-class interior exposes your interior for what it is.... UGLY.
My C7 interior looks better than the crap you have, and my Corvette will BLOW your fat and slow sedan off the road.

You say you would want to lease my car . . . but why would you want to lease it if it has such an ugly interior?

That car is almost FIFTEEN YEARS old. The only car worth buying with AWD FIFTEEN YEATS AGO was a 911 Turbo.

I don't even know what in the hell you were trying to say there.

Too fat. Inferior transmission. Bloated price. Ugly interior....like yours

Cool story, bro.
I would think your experience would have taught you what every educated person knows: AWD is superior to RWD on cold and wet roads, and especially on snowy roads.

Actually, tires are what make the difference. Put summer tires on an AWD car and see where that gets you in a snowstorm. AWD helps you get going, for sure. But once the car is moving, braking, or turning, it is the tires that make the difference. But your lack of knowledge has turned me off to discussing anything further with you. It's pointless. You resort to personal attacks and straw man arguments.
My responses in bold.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris confirms next C63 will be RWD