Chris Harris confirms next C63 will be RWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Chris Harris confirms next C63 will be RWD

"I had a little chat with Tobias. He confirmed the next C63 is forced induction, but also mentioned eight cylinders. He also confirmed it would be two-wheel drive and have the electronic LSD seen on the SLS Black Series. Sounds like a complete weapon."

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests...p?c=26&i=29205

Now we wait for confirmation regarding the transmission.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 BMW 335i Sedan
Any better sense yet of timing? I know the word seems to be late 2014, but is that referring to when we'll first catch a glimpse, or when dealers start taking orders? Any more word out there? I'm up for new company car in July. Had big plans for the 507 but then had hopes dashed when they stopped production. So then started getting excited about the M3, and started to fall in love almost as much as with the 507 only to have my hopes dashed again when they released Canadian pricing yesterday (just outside my allotted budget - dammit!!!) So now I'm wondering if I dare holdout and wait for the new C63. But 'gotta admit, it better look a lot more aggressive than the standard C-class they've just released. I'm just not getting the new styling - particularly the strange console placement in the dash. And sorry Audi, but I've owned 2 S4s in the past and just not feeling any excitement there. Just not really in the running in this class. What's a guy to do here???
Old 01-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
interview with AMG chief Tobias Moers at the Detroit show
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...eries-in-store

And it will indeed be rear-wheel drive, not all-wheel drive like the larger 4Matic-only AMG models. In fact, the regular 2015 C-Class will come in rear-drive form as well, in the first half of 2015, in C300 form.
"I think the C-Class is a little bit more fun to drive than the E-Class. The E-Class is more about every day usability," said Moers. "You can have a lot of fun with the car on track with our 4Matic system, but I think the C-Class is more dedicated to fun-to-drive, more sporty, more race track--sometimes a little more sideways. That's the reason it's a rear-wheel drive car."
Old 01-16-2014, 04:41 PM

2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
Old 01-16-2014, 09:15 PM

Gtr
I'm out... Maybe in a few years i'll be back (if they do the C63 in 4Matic form). It will be a awesome car even RWD but doesn't fit my needs
Old 01-16-2014, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
^^^ I am out on the new 2015 C63 replacement. I had a 09 C63 and I loved it but I always wished it had AWD to properly handle the hp and tq.

I am currently looking for a new Benz and it was going to be between the CLA AMG, the E550 and the newer C63 replacement but RWD is a mistake with so much power.

people will tell you that it is fun but I disagree. I had a C6 Z06 modded with cams , heads, tune before the C63 and it was a nightmare to drive straight and that was with 335 in the rears, the C63 that I had came with 255's (I later on changed them to 275 and 285).

In my most humble opinion, the C63 replacement should be sold on AWD and maybe offer it with RWD but at least give the choice
Old 01-16-2014, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Wow I could never make the decision to rule a car that I was interested in out before it even comes out; before I even had a chance to drive it for myself.

I could also never make a decision to rule out a car based on the drivetrain alone. I guess maybe I could if I lived in Antarctica or something.

I understand that some people prefer an AWD setup for practicality reasons but isn't it a bit overdone and dramatic to eliminate the car entirely from consideration before the verdict is in on what type of performer it is?
Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 AM

Gtr
Originally Posted by zibby43
Wow I could never make the decision to rule a car that I was interested in out before it even comes out; before I even had a chance to drive it for myself.

I could also never make a decision to rule out a car based on the drivetrain alone. I guess maybe I could if I lived in Antarctica or something.

I understand that some people prefer an AWD setup for practicality reasons but isn't it a bit overdone and dramatic to eliminate the car entirely from consideration before the verdict is in on what type of performer it is?
I do understand your point but to each his own opinion I guess. I don't find this dramatic or overdone, it's really a matter of choice rather than being dramatic
Old 01-17-2014, 07:14 AM

GLK350, G55, AMG GTS, C63 507
I am actually happy it is RWD.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by CoOlSlY
I do understand your point but to each his own opinion I guess. I don't find this dramatic or overdone, it's really a matter of choice rather than being dramatic
It is a matter of choice. You're right.

It'll just be curious to see if anyone changes their mind after the car is available to drive and the magazine comparison tests start to roll in.

I'm happy the car remained RWD because as I said before, there are already a lot of 4MATIC choices available within the AMG brand alone.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Anyone who claims to be "out" was never anywhere near "in" in the first place.

Anyway I am just happy that its a real car and not a lousy 6cylinder.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
drove a 2008 C63 around when the model year came out, great vehicle even though at that point the car had no LSD or proper dual clutch manual or lunch control but the biggest problem with it was that it could not get the power down in corners at all, it would squirm all over the place. the 2015 will most likely be 500+ Hp, and generally speaking the cars tires is not that wide ( 9 or 10 inches?) so unless they put 12 inch wide tires or proper Michellin Pilot Sport Cup 2s tires back there we will have the same issues. Power is meaningless if you cant put it down... just look at the Shelby GT... 662 hp with no traction, gets substantially worse times than E63 4-matic with allot less power.

On the plus side you can do burn outs.

Last edited by cookstar; 01-17-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
car shopping
Originally Posted by cookstar
drove a 2008 C63 around when the model year came out, great vehicle even though at that point the car had no LSD or proper dual clutch manual or lunch control but the biggest problem with it was that it could not get the power down in corners at all, it would squirm all over the place. the 2015 will most likely be 500+ Hp, and generally speaking the cars tires is not that wide ( 9 or 10 inches?) so unless they put 12 inch wide tires or proper Michellin Pilot Sport Cup 2s tires back there we will have the same issues. Power is meaningless if you cant put it down... just look at the Shelby GT... 662 hp with no traction, gets substantially worse times than E63 4-matic with allot less power.

On the plus side you can do burn outs.
Absolutely agree^. And hey everyone lovesburnouts!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
I'll wait a year or two in to the model cycle, so that the kinks are worked out. Probably pick one up to be a stablemate for the Macan in a couple years.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Where to start? The Italians or the Germans?
Originally Posted by Dazza72
But 'gotta admit, it better look a lot more aggressive than the standard C-class they've just released. I'm just not getting the new styling - particularly the strange console placement in the dash. And sorry Audi, but I've owned 2 S4s in the past and just not feeling any excitement there. Just not really in the running in this class. What's a guy to do here???
I'm right there with you. These newer cars remind me of the 70s clunkers--more than a little odd. The '14 E-class is ugly, so is the new C and S.

While Audi may not be exciting to look at, at least they haven't ruined the looks like BMW and MB has in the last six months. Maybe it's time I seriously look into that S8...

What am I doing? Well, I'm stockpiling all the older cars I actually like to look at.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Where to start? The Italians or the Germans?
Originally Posted by C63newdude
^^^ I am out on the new 2015 C63 replacement. I had a 09 C63 and I loved it but I always wished it had AWD to properly handle the hp and tq.

I am currently looking for a new Benz and it was going to be between the CLA AMG, the E550 and the newer C63 replacement but RWD is a mistake with so much power.

people will tell you that it is fun but I disagree. I had a C6 Z06 modded with cams , heads, tune before the C63 and it was a nightmare to drive straight and that was with 335 in the rears, the C63 that I had came with 255's (I later on changed them to 275 and 285).

In my most humble opinion, the C63 replacement should be sold on AWD and maybe offer it with RWD but at least give the choice
No. Just no.

0-60 and 1/4 mile times aren't everything. Some of us like to go around corners in out cars, and the C63 is setup beautifully for that. Throw AWD in the equation and you can forget about any kind of decent handling.

Last edited by MB_Fahrer; 01-19-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:05 AM

Gtr
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Anyone who claims to be "out" was never anywhere near "in" in the first place.
Funny comment... If you wanted absolutly a MT trans and a car was coming only in AT and you rule out the car, you would say it's because you were never interested? Kind of a bizarre statement. Maybe some people are looking at anything without knowing what they want but I still think it's really to each his own. Unfortunatly, not a lot of cars are AWD and have a lot of power like the C63... Had a deposit last year for a RS5 but was disappointed with the torque it had, cancelled the order and kept the '12 GTr.

On another note... Yesterday, at the Mtl autoshow, saw the M3, M4... Wow, the M3 was priced at 102,595$ CDN (including 5000$ brake option) but still very expensive IMO. I really don't like the "iPad" style NAV screen of the CLA45AMG but I wouldn't rule out a car for this reason They had the new Corvette and the new Mustang
Old 01-20-2014, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Funny comment... If you wanted absolutly a MT trans and a car was coming only in AT and you rule out the car, you would say it's because you were never interested? Kind of a bizarre statement. Maybe some people are looking at anything without knowing what they want but I still think it's really to each his own. Unfortunatly, not a lot of cars are AWD and have a lot of power like the C63... Had a deposit last year for a RS5 but was disappointed with the torque it had, cancelled the order and kept the '12 GTr.

On another note... Yesterday, at the Mtl autoshow, saw the M3, M4... Wow, the M3 was priced at 102,595$ CDN (including 5000$ brake option) but still very expensive IMO. I really don't like the "iPad" style NAV screen of the CLA45AMG but I wouldn't rule out a car for this reason They had the new Corvette and the new Mustang
The M3/M4 is RWD and will be down on power to the new C63. Hell, it's still down on power in comparison to the W204.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580

I am sorry but the C63 has never been AWD. So you were never "in"

If the C63 had been AWD or had AWD available, and you said that you were "in" but then MB announces that AWD will not be available then you can say you are "out"

The fact remains that the W205 C63 will be delivered exactly as it has been being delivered and only difference so far is that it will be a 4.0L instead of a 6.2L.

So again... you were never "in"

There are not a lot of AWD performance car options so your choices are slim. BMW M's are "out", CLA45 is nothing compared to a GTR, C63 is "out", I would just buy a 2014 GTR, those things are monsters. If you want a Small German performance AWD car head to a Porsche dealership.
Happy hunting.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:01 AM

Gtr
I am sorry but the C63 has never been AWD. So you were never "in"
Instead of arguing I will end it by saying that since the E63 was released AWD and rumors were that the C63 would probably be AWD I was "in" but anyway, I will keep the GTR for now, the 2014 (2015 in fact) GTR compared to the 2012 has very minor changes compared to to the changes between 2012&up and the C63 was the only car I was considering for now. I'll see what will be released next year. On another note , need to have a wheel fixed, when they swapped my tires they scratched a wheel
Old 01-20-2014, 11:02 AM

2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
If you want a Small German performance AWD car head to a Porsche dealership.
Exactly, and Porsche has good residuals (although not great MF) not to mention 3200lbs, DCT, and 245/305 tires Went to the dealer this past Sat and test drove a C4S very impressed. Didn't get to test a Turbo but after some seat time in the C4S I could see it as a possible replacement for my C63 coupe.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by TTA850
Exactly, and Porsche has good residuals (although not great MF) not to mention 3200lbs, DCT, and 245/305 tires Went to the dealer this past Sat and test drove a C4S very impressed. Didn't get to test a Turbo but after some seat time in the C4S I could see it as a possible replacement for my C63 coupe.
Just wish they didn't require $25k worth of options to be added onto the already steep base price.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:55 PM

10 C63
I loved my C63 but it wasn't practical. I refuse to own 2 cars and pay for 2 parking spots. This small snow storm (we just had on the East Coast) is a perfect reason for why I would need a FWD or AWD car. I was hoping the option of 4matic would at least be available on the 2015. I love the styling of the 2015 renderings of what the AMG may look like but I'm afraid w/o AWD I can't buy it.

Some say the C63 on snow tires is great, I don't want to waste my time driving to/from a garage to swap wheels/tires or constantly have to worry.

I'll either have to scoop up a CLA AMG or perhaps a 2014 1 yr CPO E63 w/ 4MATIC.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by pdjafari
I loved my C63 but it wasn't practical. I refuse to own 2 cars and pay for 2 parking spots. This small snow storm (we just had on the East Coast) is a perfect reason for why I would need a FWD or AWD car. I was hoping the option of 4matic would at least be available on the 2015. I love the styling of the 2015 renderings of what the AMG may look like but I'm afraid w/o AWD I can't buy it.

Some say the C63 on snow tires is great, I don't want to waste my time driving to/from a garage to swap wheels/tires or constantly have to worry.

I'll either have to scoop up a CLA AMG or perhaps a 2014 1 yr CPO E63 w/ 4MATIC.
The C63 on snow tires really is great. As I've said before, we've had the snowiest winter on record here in my State and I've never once had an issue with getting where I've needed to be.

As far as the swaps go, if you get a dedicated set of snow tires/wheels, you can change them out yourself in your garage or driveway. If you had a shop do it, it's only 6 total swaps over a period of three years.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by pdjafari

You live in DC? How often does it snow there? lol.
Its quite easy, for the 2-3 days it snows every 3 years just don't drive like an idiot and you will be OK.
The C63 will be more fun to drive that an E63.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris confirms next C63 will be RWD