Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes Introduces The New M178 4.0L BiTurbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E92 M3
ya man i have heard those clips. IMO its not really a good video, or the exhuast isnt really that great.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Originally Posted by Mike3
ya man i have heard those clips. IMO its not really a good video, or the exhuast isnt really that great.
The mic doesn't capture everything, you're right. It does give us a good idea of the tone. I love it. That last breathe it takes, with a nice grumble....oh my....
Old 07-17-2014, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf4OirfXh-A#t=47
Old 07-19-2014, 01:48 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-

Nice one love it

I know it's a case of each to their own my preference to engine and exhaust sound is always favoured towards forced induction vs the same type of engine in N/A trim and I also prefer the power delivery characteristics of forced induction over N/A as well, especially this new generation they're absolutely awesome - I'm totally impressed with AMG's IL4 in the A45 & CLA45 (extensively driven both) the new TTV6 & TTV8 will be fantastic

I have always owned and currently own multiple car types and find myself always wanting to drive and enjoying my turbo cars over the N/A ones, it's great news that there will be so much more choice in this category in future
Old 07-19-2014, 04:59 PM

E92 M3
Originally Posted by AV1
Nice one love it

I know it's a case of each to their own my preference to engine and exhaust sound is always favoured towards forced induction vs the same type of engine in N/A trim and I also prefer the power delivery characteristics of forced induction over N/A as well, especially this new generation they're absolutely awesome - I'm totally impressed with AMG's IL4 in the A45 & CLA45 (extensively driven both) the new TTV6 & TTV8 will be fantastic

I have always owned and currently own multiple car types and find myself always wanting to drive and enjoying my turbo cars over the N/A ones, it's great news that there will be so much more choice in this category in future
I can understand if you like Forced induction power characteristics more. but there is no way a turbo engine can really beat a N/A in the sound department.

Turbos kill engine sound, but give a new turbine sound. So if you like the turbine sound, i can also understand.

they also mute exhuast sound. A N/A engine will always have a richer engine sound because they move from the cylinder chambers to the exhuast pipes.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:53 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
I can understand if you like Forced induction power characteristics more. but there is no way a turbo engine can really beat a N/A in the sound department.

Turbos kill engine sound, but give a new turbine sound. So if you like the turbine sound, i can also understand.

they also mute exhuast sound. A N/A engine will always have a richer engine sound because they move from the cylinder chambers to the exhuast pipes.
That is all true and correct, it's just the way it is the exhaust path is interfered with having to pass through a turbo instead of straight through and that tones it all down as you stated.

Here in Australia GMH use GM Chev V8's I have one - an LS1 powered Monaro it's stock standard and it emits a nice exhaust sound, another guy I know from a GMH club has the same with an APS twin turbo kit installed and by God does this thing sound fantastic especially from within the cabin and also the torque from forced induction V8's is on another planet, I love torque and loads of it

With this APS Monaro outside exhaust note is similar actually but inside and even audible from the outside it makes some awesome turbo noises and the BOV ejecting excess air makes the hair on my neck really stand up, in terms of vehicle engine audible experience I enjoyed that a lot more than when I had a C63 not long ago for a 2 week period.

At the end of the day you can't go wrong with a powerful V8 of any kind with a nice sport exhaust installed, they will always satisfy the sensory experience
Old 07-20-2014, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
What I really love is the fact that AMG has routed the excess air from the BOV through the exhaust.
So instead of hearing the high pitched BOV that were are accustomed to, we are hearing a short deep burble through the exhaust.
I LOVE IT!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:13 PM

E92 M3
Originally Posted by AV1
That is all true and correct, it's just the way it is the exhaust path is interfered with having to pass through a turbo instead of straight through and that tones it all down as you stated.

Here in Australia GMH use GM Chev V8's I have one - an LS1 powered Monaro it's stock standard and it emits a nice exhaust sound, another guy I know from a GMH club has the same with an APS twin turbo kit installed and by God does this thing sound fantastic especially from within the cabin and also the torque from forced induction V8's is on another planet, I love torque and loads of it

With this APS Monaro outside exhaust note is similar actually but inside and even audible from the outside it makes some awesome turbo noises and the BOV ejecting excess air makes the hair on my neck really stand up, in terms of vehicle engine audible experience I enjoyed that a lot more than when I had a C63 not long ago for a 2 week period.

At the end of the day you can't go wrong with a powerful V8 of any kind with a nice sport exhaust installed, they will always satisfy the sensory experience
At the end of the day, these Trubo V8 is going to sound much better than a f80 M3!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
What I really love is the fact that AMG has routed the excess air from the BOV through the exhaust.
So instead of hearing the high pitched BOV that were are accustomed to, we are hearing a short deep burble through the exhaust.
I LOVE IT!
That's smart. You hear a burble instead a BOV going off. I can't WAIT for the W205!!!!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:13 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I LOVE IT!

I agree and am also not a fan of huge 'whoosh' sound aftermarket BOVs, the system installed on that APS kitted LS1 I talked of in the previous post is actually vented through a pipe and re-routed back into the system and it sounds perfect, it's not just vented straight out into the engine bay like a typical aftermarket WRX job with an OTT BOV sound.

I also own a 2.0ltr turbo petrol powered Opel/Bertone Astra convertible and the OEM BOV on that engine sounds very nice without being loud, it is really only audible from inside the cabin

At the end of the day, these Trubo V8 is going to sound much better than a f80 M3!

Totally correct, a V8 engine of any type emits one of the best exhaust sounds of any internal combustion engine configuration, pity for IL6's as even V6's sound a lot better and luckily MB have a new TTV6 as well which will only make matters worse in this regard for IL6 configuration engines, certainly not disputing IL6 power/performance characteristics but in the engine/exhaust sound department they can never hope match up.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.
Food for thought:

Mercedes AMG GT(V8) Engine weight: 461 pounds | BMW S55(Inline 6) Engine Weight: 452 pounds

Are you telling me The V8 is ONLY 9 pounds heavier then an inline 6!? If so, great job Mercedes!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.
Originally Posted by AV1
I agree and am also not a fan of huge 'whoosh' sound aftermarket BOVs, the system installed on that APS kitted LS1 I talked of in the previous post is actually vented through a pipe and re-routed back into the system and it sounds perfect, it's not just vented straight out into the engine bay like a typical aftermarket WRX job with an OTT BOV sound.

I also own a 2.0ltr turbo petrol powered Opel/Bertone Astra convertible and the OEM BOV on that engine sounds very nice without being loud, it is really only audible from inside the cabin

Totally correct, a V8 engine of any type emits one of the best exhaust sounds of any internal combustion engine configuration, pity for IL6's as even V6's sound a lot better and luckily MB have a new TTV6 as well which will only make matters worse in this regard for IL6 configuration engines, certainly not disputing IL6 power/performance characteristics but in the engine/exhaust sound department they can never hope match up.
Mercedes is bringing the inline six cylinder engine back for the next generation E Class.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:07 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Food for thought:

Mercedes AMG GT(V8) Engine weight: 461 pounds | BMW S55(Inline 6) Engine Weight: 452 pounds

Are you telling me The V8 is ONLY 9 pounds heavier then an inline 6!? If so, great job Mercedes!!!

That is a good effort, long crankshafts like that of an IL6 add a lot of weight to an engine but they also offer the ability to eliminate vibrations a lot better than shorter crankshafts.

Mercedes is bringing the inline six cylinder engine back for the next generation E Class.

That's interesting, I just recently read about the new MB TTV6 which may also be made as an AMG engine variant.

Maybe MB is aiming for more refinement/smoothness which is more achievable with an IL6 vs V6 configuration as noted above.