Test drove the NEW M3.....Illl keep my CLA45

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I am pretty sure that you asked me this question before.
I am pretty sure that I stated that I just like to make fun of the fake exhaust note through speakers in a performance car and anyone who defends it.

Get over it already... Its FAKE... I could do the same thing to a Honda Civic and then brag about how my car sounds better than any supercar, when the fact is the only people that can hear how awesome the car sounds are the people inside listening to a FAKE exhaust note.

If BMW amplified the sound for "Euro safety" then why did they add the "2-3%" fake exhaust? Do we need fake sound for "Euro safety?"

If its for "Euro safety" then why doesn't every car with a lackluster exhaust have fake exhaust playing through the speakers?

I am sure the 320i exhaust is quieter than a M3... does it also play a fake exhaust for "Euro safety?"

There is zero excuse for it... its FAKE, its pathetic, and its lazy engineering especially for a "performance" division.

Would it stop me from buying a M3/4/5/6, absolutely not! But I would not defend such a pathetic engineering decision.
So let me ask you a question.

When I speak into a microphone, is my voice amplified or is my voice suddenly (and magically) fake?

You realize it is a microphone playing live sounds from the engine bay?

So . . . fake is not the right word. If you have a problem with the amplification, that's fine.

Originally Posted by jamesyot
I heard the exhaust coming out of the speakers. So how can it only be 2-3 percent. Im not a dumbass. I know what I heard and it is pretty easy to hear the sound coming from the speakers.
I didn't pull the 2-3 percent number out of my ***. I provided a source with a quote from a BMW M engineer. If you don't believe the number, take it up with them.

I included all the links explaining how Active Sound works. Just because I provided the sources doesn't mean I do not give a flying **** about it either way.

Are we clear? I merely provided the information to try to help people understand it. You can have your own opinion of it.

Everyone's acting all butthurt like I'm the one that invented Active Sound.

I have a '13 C63 a '14 E550 lol.

Last edited by zibby43; 08-26-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
To get back on topic. When the AMG engineers worked on the CLA45, they opted to tune the engine and the exhaust instead of the speaker. lol

I heard the exhaust coming out of the speakers. So how can it only be 2-3 percent. Im not a dumbass. I know what I heard and it is pretty easy to hear the sound coming from the speakers.
From what I read, you did hear the exhaust, but only 2-3% of it was fake.
So they play the exhaust through the speakers and they add 2-3% of fake sound. Kinda like how some fake singers use auto-tune. Its their voice but it has some fake additional sound added to make them sound as if they are a good singer.

M3/4 is the vehicular T-pain.

Last edited by Tjdehya; 08-26-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
The noise you hear here is from a hidden speaker under the parking lot:

https://vimeo.com/102724087

https://vimeo.com/102580685

Same thing here. Hidden speaker. No exhaust tuning.

Last edited by zibby43; 08-26-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
03 Lexus IS300 (old faithful) / 91 3000GT VR-4 / 14 CLA45 AMG / 11 BMW X6M
Originally Posted by zibby43
The noise you hear here is from a hidden speaker under the parking lot:

https://vimeo.com/102724087

https://vimeo.com/102580685

Same thing here. Hidden speaker. No exhaust tuning.

BMW M4 Safety Car M Performance Exhaust Revs at BMW Austin - YouTube
What kind of exhaust is that?? That sounds much better.

I am not saying you are a liar. And I really don't care what the Engineer said because I drove the car and the sound was weak...especially for a 80K sports car. I just expected more.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
The M3 vs C63 debate is inevitable. Choose what matches your taste. I am not a fan of the M3/M4 styling(though I admit the M3 looks better) and I love what Mercedes is doing. I don't like that the sound in the car needs to be amplified. The cold start on the M3/M4 sounds well, sad. It doesn't sound like a performance car. M3 e9x even with the stock exhaust, sounded angry. Those are all deal breakers for me, hence why I've made the jump. My initial test drive of the M3/M4 impressed me with how the car pulls, but in typical BMW turbo fashion, the car just fell flat on it's face at 5,500 - 6,000 RPM. Is the M-DCT a better transmission compared to the MCT? Yeah, it is. I'm sure Mercedes has improved upon it to make it more responsive this time around. The M3/M4 interior also leaves a lot to be desired.

Lets wait for the W205 C63 and see what it does, then the REAL comparison's can start. Me? The believe the AMG Engineers know what they are doing. They came damn close and even beat the e9x M3 at it's own game.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 08-27-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Also, why are we comparing a CLA 45 to an M3? Different class of car, even if the CLA 45 is tuned.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
What kind of exhaust is that?? That sounds much better.

I am not saying you are a liar. And I really don't care what the Engineer said because I drove the car and the sound was weak...especially for a 80K sports car. I just expected more.
No worries. That's the BMW M Performance Exhaust.

Something nice that BMW does now is that it offers a full catalog of high-performance parts (from engine software tunes to exhausts, carbon fiber exterior/interior parts, alcantara steering wheels, etc.).

For example, for the new M3/M4, one can order: M Performance (hereafter, MP) Exhaust, MP Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler, MP Carbon Fiber Front Lip/Splitter(s), MP Carbon Fiber Diffuser, Carbon Fiber DCT Gear Knob, Alcantara/Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel, MP Floor mats, etc. The list goes on and on.

Some parts can be installed at the factory, others can be installed at the port (before the customer takes delivery). Or, the parts can be ordered by your local BMW dealer and installed there.

The best thing is, retailers can order the authentic M Performance parts and sell them for less.

So now, when you get a performance-oriented BMW, you can get top-of-the-line "aftermarket" parts directly from BMW. No worries about warranty, etc. The prices are fairly reasonable too.

I wish AMG offered something similar.

Regarding sound . . .

AMG is absolutely crushing BMW M in the sound department right now.

As a matter of fact, I think that AMG is producing its most dynamic, most well-rounded cars ever. That's why I left BMW and switched to AMG/Mercedes-Benz.

The LCI W204 C63 toppled the E9X M3 in several comparison tests. It also lapped the 'ring faster. AMG is trending up. M has faltered a bit (although the new M3/M4 seems special from a performance standpoint).

The new E63 S 4MATIC has been giving the F10 M5 a run for its money.

Last edited by zibby43; 08-27-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
The M3 vs C63 debate is inevitable. Choose what matches your taste. I am not a fan of the M3/M4 styling(though I admit the M3 looks better) and I love what Mercedes is doing. I don't like that the sound in the car needs to be amplified. The cold start on the M3/M4 sounds well, sad. It doesn't sound like a performance car. M3 e9x even with the stock exhaust, sounded angry. Those are all deal breakers for me, hence why I've made the jump. My initial test drive of the M3/M4 impressed me with how the car pulls, but in typical BMW turbo fashion, the car just fell flat on it's face at 5,500 - 6,000 RPM. Is the M-DCT a better transmission compared to the MCT? Yeah, it is. I'm sure Mercedes has improved upon it to make it more responsive this time around. The M3/M4 interior also leaves a lot to be desired.

Lets wait for the W205 C63 and see what it does, then the REAL comparison's can start. Me? The believe the AMG Engineers know what they are doing. They came damn close and even beat the e9x M3 at it's own game.
Completely agree. Well said.

I really enjoyed both the F80 and F82 when I test drove them. That said, there is no way I am going to commit to ordering either car without first seeing how the W205 C63 turns out.

I also agree that the new S55 motor felt a little "flat" past 5,500 rpm. The power delivery from a dig is insane; those turbos help to deliver mountains of torque.

As far as the styling is concerned, the rears of both the M3 and M4 are bland. The M Performance Carbon Fiber Diffuser is a must (helps provide some contrast/breaks up the rear's monotony). I do love both the front and rear fender flares (especially on the M3).

My current W204 C63 won't be going anywhere for a long time. It's the first car that I will likely buy out at the end of the lease. The M156 motor is just so special. So is the hydraulic steering setup.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 CLA 45AMG , 2015 C63 (W205)
i think active sound was one of the worst bmw ideas ever

a couple other bad ideas from BMW were

3 series Gran Turismo
X4
4 series Gran Coupe ( 6 series Gran Coupe is beautiful)
5 series Gran Turismo

Old 08-27-2014, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by amanuuh
i think active sound was one of the worst bmw ideas ever

a couple other bad ideas from BMW were

3 series Gran Turismo
X4
4 series Gran Coupe ( 6 series Gran Coupe is beautiful)
5 series Gran Turismo

The GT cars are hideous, true.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
e63s edition 1
Clearly you are leaning towards getting buying a m car.
Just because we drive a competing series sedan or coup don't think for a second we don't actually sit drive or race the competitors cars. Yes allllllot of us has looked at the M cars and Yes they sound like **** and have loads of lag. Stop trying to downplay crap qualities in a car, whenever someone spends more time defending a bad quality in a car its usually a sign of a troll or fanboy or someone thats looking for a final justification to jump the fence. the c63 has it issues from its tail happiness to traction to weight. list goes on. I buy a car because the list of things i love out ranks the list of things i don't. I don't give a donkeys *** about brand loyalty, nor am i blinded by it. Drive the car you love and share the love, don't waste your and others time trying to defend the parts of the car that no one loves..

sorry for the rant and yes its not directed at you.. but i just wish ppl would focus more on the good parts and less of defending the bad parts.. 2cents

Originally Posted by zibby43
Good thing I'm not defending it.

But just as a courtesy, you look pretty naive when you say "real automotive engineers tune . . ."

The M engineers tune the exhaust note plenty (along with every other part of the car).

Have you even driven, or at least heard, the new M3/M4 in person or is this all based on your internet exposure to the car?

Last edited by sighting; 08-29-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by sighting
Clearly you are leaning towards getting buying a m car.
Just because we drive a competing series sedan or coup don't think for a second we don't actually sit drive or race the competitors cars. Yes allllllot of us has looked at the M cars and Yes they sound like **** and have loads of lag. Stop trying to downplay crap qualities in a car, whenever someone spends more time defending a bad quality in a car its usually a sign of a troll or fanboy or someone thats looking for a final justification to jump the fence. the c63 has it issues from its tail happiness to traction to weight. list goes on. I buy a car because the list of things i love out ranks the list of things i don't. I don't give a donkeys *** about brand loyalty, nor am i blinded by it. Drive the car you love and share the love, don't waste your and others time trying to defend the parts of the car that no one loves..

sorry for the rant and yes its not directed at you.. but i just wish ppl would focus more on the good parts and less of defending the bad parts.. 2cents
I'm considering an F80 M3. I'm leaning toward the W205 C63.

Active Sound isn't a great feature but I don't agree with you regarding the "lag." What kind of lag are you referring to?

If we are talking about transmissions, my MCT has considerable lag, especially in comparison to the most recent version of the M-DCT in the F80/F82.

When you grab a shift in M mode in the F80 M3, it is THERE. There is no delay and there is no gear hunting/indecision in the more aggressive automatic modes. The DCT's upshifts and downshifts are flat-out are faster.

As far as the new S55 motor is concerned, it is a twin-turbo setup. The fact that the motor has two smaller turbos instead of one big turbo is one of the reasons that the motor has virtually zero turbo lag. Peak torque is available almost instantly.

Is it the throttle feel as linear and responsive as the one in my C63? No. But we're not dealing with a NA motor in the BMW.

I've driven one F80 and 2 F82s and in my opinion, these were the attractive features:

- Transmission: The M-DCT transmission is infinitely better than the MCT. I wish I could say otherwise but aside from the PDK, the newest version of the M-DCT is one of the best "automatic" transmissions I've used.

- Chassis: The car has virtually no body roll. It feels stable, composed, lightweight, and planted. The damping is lovely as well.

- Steering: Despite this generation's utilization of an electric steering setup, there is still plenty of feedback and communication. Turn-in is a joy. It is great to be able to choose from different steering "weights" (C, S, and S+).

- Brakes: The standard brakes (4-piston/2-piston fixed front/fixed rear setup) are phenomenal. The pedal feel is very linear and progressive, making it easy to trim speed. There is no slop during initial pedal travel; there is, however, plenty of bite. Obviously, I experienced no brake fade during my test drives.

- Torque: The S55 has gobs of torque. It's insane. The car "feels" like it has more torque than my C63 (thanks to the turbos). Even in MDM, the traction control was constantly flickering.

- Interior: Great seats, tons of technology (including the M HUD), and very high-quality materials (genuine carbon fiber trim is standard, which is nice).

- Fuel Economy: It gets more than 12 mpg. Enough said.

Cons:

- Sound: While this car does not sound nearly as good as my LCI C63, I truly believe it sounds special. Videos do not do the engine/exhaust justice. There were plenty of burbles, crackles, and pops coming from the exhaust during my test drives. The exhaust even sounded angry when I was lifting off the throttle (windows were down for each test drive).

The upshift "cracks" and "pops" that this car makes will scare small women and children. Of course, I had the transmission and throttle set to the most aggressive settings during my test drivers. Other folks that drove the car around in C mode may have missed out on what the car/exhaust is capable of.

The M Performance exhaust helps to make the car sound even better. Akrapovic has an exhaust out too.

- Rear End: The rear of the F80/F82 looks a little bland. The M Performance Carbon Fiber Diffuser helps to break up the monotony in the back.