Test drove the NEW M3.....Illl keep my CLA45

So here we go,

I own a CLA45 with these performance mods
- Renntech ECU
- Weistec Downpipe
- Innotech Catback exhaust
- Arma Intake
- Sprint throttle booster

I saw the new M3 at the dealer by my house and decided to give it a test drive.

I really like the style of the M3 over the M4, the interior is very nice and the seats are extremely comfortable. I HATE the gauge cluster that BMW has, it is so old and plain and I have a hard time reading the gauges at a quick glance.

Car rides much smoother than my CLA45, the steering feels very very nice. The braking feels ok, not as nice as my CLA45.

NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF
I got the car out on a nice open road and punched it. LAG LAG LAG this car had zero response all the way up to 4500 rpms. 4500 - 7500 felt decent but nothing special.
Sound- This car is super quiet and sounds terrible. You can hear the FAKE sound through the speakers...im sorry M3 guys, it does not sound real.

In the end I felt like the BMW was a sick car, BUT I would not trade it for my CLA that sounds and feels that much faster. If this car is 425 HP RWD then my CLA has to be pushing 450-460HP with way more torque compared to the M3.

So for the guys waiting on the new C63 I would not worry. If AMG can make a small 2.0 sound and feel so good I bet the 4.0 TT will be straight up NASTY.

http://www.enjoygram.com/m/789321866063736693_206837906

Little sound clip of my ride.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4
Originally Posted by jamesyot
So here we go,

I own a CLA45 with these performance mods
- Renntech ECU
- Weistec Downpipe
- Innotech Catback exhaust
- Arma Intake
- Sprint throttle booster

I saw the new M3 at the dealer by my house and decided to give it a test drive.

I really like the style of the M3 over the M4, the interior is very nice and the seats are extremely comfortable. I HATE the gauge cluster that BMW has, it is so old and plain and I have a hard time reading the gauges at a quick glance.

Car rides much smoother than my CLA45, the steering feels very very nice. The braking feels ok, not as nice as my CLA45.

NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF
I got the car out on a nice open road and punched it. LAG LAG LAG this car had zero response all the way up to 4500 rpms. 4500 - 7500 felt decent but nothing special.
Sound- This car is super quiet and sounds terrible. You can hear the FAKE sound through the speakers...im sorry M3 guys, it does not sound real.

In the end I felt like the BMW was a sick car, BUT I would not trade it for my CLA that sounds and feels that much faster. If this car is 425 HP RWD then my CLA has to be pushing 450-460HP with way more torque compared to the M3.

So for the guys waiting on the new C63 I would not worry. If AMG can make a small 2.0 sound and feel so good I bet the 4.0 TT will be straight up NASTY.

http://www.enjoygram.com/m/789321866063736693_206837906

Little sound clip of my ride.

haha..good writeup. By the way, what is that crackling sound when your gears shift?
Old 08-24-2014, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
I've test driven the F82 M4 several times now (and the F80 M3 once). I strongly but respectfully disagree regarding the "lag."

Which makes me curious, what transmission program did you have the car in? And what throttle setting were you employing (C, S, S+)? There are several to choose from. Same goes for the steering - the weighting can be changed easily.

The 4/2 front/rear fixed caliper Brembo brake(s) setup on the cars I drove also felt incredible. The pedal feel was linear and progressive. There was plenty of bite, even at the top of the pedal travel. In short, the brakes felt just as competent as the huge brake hardware on my C63 (6/4 F/R fixed caliper setup).

I was blown away by how responsive the motor was. This car is a torque MONSTER. Even with MDM activated (M Dynamic Mode; allows for more wheel spin without cutting power), the traction control light was constantly flickering because of how much torque the motor makes. You can burnout and slide the rear out on command.

Peak torque is available almost instantly. The slowest 0-60 time I've seen is 4.1 seconds and that was with a 6MT-equipped car. The DCT cars are hitting 60 in 3.9 seconds and trapping 116+ mph in the 1/4 mile.

Have we seen a CLA45 achieve times like that yet?

And the DCT transmission? Brilliant. Shifts are instantaneous and crisp. There is no gear hunting in the automatic modes and in M mode, when you grab an upshift or a downshift, it is THERE - period.

It's also interesting that you found the car quiet. Did you have it in Comfort Mode? Each time I drove the M4, there was a symphony of crackles, burbles, and pops when upshifting and letting off the throttle/engine braking in lower gears. For a turbocharged inline 6, I thought the car sounded fantastic (and I drive a tuned C63).

Finally, "Active Sound" only accounts for a mere 1.5% of the noise you hear in the cabin. It's that marginal.

The W205 C63 has its work cut out for it, in my opinion.

Last edited by zibby43; 08-24-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-AMG C63S Edition 1
Originally Posted by frank69m
haha..good writeup. By the way, what is that crackling sound when your gears shift?
It's a sound that the CLA 45 makes when switching gears to make it sound more sporty etc.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
03 Lexus IS300 (old faithful) / 91 3000GT VR-4 / 14 CLA45 AMG / 11 BMW X6M
Relaxxx,

I was simply comparing the cars response and power to my modded CLA45. The M3 is really really really nice. I messed around with it for a while in the different modes. With everyone talking about how fast this one was I was surprised that my CLA45 feels that much faster and more available torque.

I find this video to be extremely accurate.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
Relaxxx, I was simply comparing the cars response and power to my modded CLA45. The M3 is really really really nice. I messed around with it for a while in the different modes. With everyone talking about how fast this one was I was surprised that my CLA45 feels that much faster and more available torque. I find this video to be extremely accurate. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=uAaJRIg63kM
Well with the mods you are running you should be quicker off the line and in the 1/4 mile. You should be at 450+ HP and 450 lb-ft of tq plus you can reliably put the power down. I love the F80 M3 and to me it's a step up compared to the CLA45 but I still wouldn't trade mine in for one either. Personal preference I guess.

Last edited by bmoney12; 08-24-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by kuba.95
It's a sound that the CLA 45 makes when switching gears to make it sound more sporty etc.
I think we all know that's "it's a sound that the CLA45 makes when switching gears"
But what exactly is it? What is making that sound?
I know what I think it is, but it would be nice if an actual owner of a CLA45 could tell us exactly what it is.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I think we all know that's "it's a sound that the CLA45 makes when switching gears"
I know what I think it is, but it would be nice if an actual owner of a CLA45 could tell us exactly what it is.
Maybe ignition timing?? Left over fuel getting burned by the spark
Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Maybe ignition timing?? Left over fuel getting burned by the spark
oh ok, so you guys are not sure either. I think it's the blowoff from the turbos begin routed through the exhaust instead of a valve that we are accustomed to hearing.
Instead a high pitched hissing blowoff, we hear a quick deep growl.
Where is the turbo blow off valve, is the air just recirculated, or is it possible that I could be right?
Old 08-24-2014, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by bmoney12
Well with the mods you are running you should be quicker off the line and in the 1/4 mile. You should be at 450+ HP and 450 lb-ft of tq plus you can reliably put the power down. I love the F80 M3 and to me it's a step up compared to the CLA45 but I still wouldn't trade mine in for one either. Personal preference I guess.
Yes Exactly,

The M3 is def a step up from the CLA45. Interior, handling, steering, Transmission was pretty sick! I would take that car any day of the week. BUT the sound and the power doesnt compare to my little 2.0 with BPU mods.

My point of this thread was IF AMG could get this little 2.0 to sound and feel so good I am sure they will do a kick *** job on the new C63. IF the C63 can compare in terms of handling steering and tranny ( I am sure the interior will be legit) and make some serious power of out that 4.0TT, I don't think they will let down any AMG fans.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Relaxxx,

I was simply comparing the cars response and power to my modded CLA45. The M3 is really really really nice. I messed around with it for a while in the different modes. With everyone talking about how fast this one was I was surprised that my CLA45 feels that much faster and more available torque.
I'm relaxed. I was just trying to flesh out the discussion a bit. We all appreciate your impressions.

Tuned M4s are putting down 539 whp and 585 ft-lb of torque. http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006304

You must have a very quick CLA45, thanks to your modifications - which is great! Do you have any 1/4 mile runs down yet? I was quite surprised that the F80/F82 has been ripping off 116 mph trap speeds - that is seriously quick.

In comparison to the E92 M3 (which I've driven extensively, including on a road course) the F80/F82 is a major improvement in many regards. The F80/F82 feels like a much more competent daily driver because of the copious amounts of usable torque.

Despite having the new electric steering setup, the F80/F82 steering is an upgrade from the steering on the E9X. However, my C63's hydraulic steering setup provides more feedback/communication though. I also prefer how consistent the C63's steering is - it's firm irrespective of driving mode (i.e., C, S, S+, M).

Both the M3 and the M4 I drove felt like they had more torque than my C63. I never expected that. That's what turbos will do. However, while my C63 pulls strong and hard to redline from 5,500+ rpm, the M3 and M4 run out of breath a bit at the top end.

Relative to my LCI C63, the F80/F82 has a fresher interior and much more technology (the M-specific HUD is fantastic). The carbon fiber trim is also a very nice touch. All the new M3/M4 models I've driven had the "full" leather interior. The stitched dash both looks and feels phenomenal.

I obviously prefer the engine/exhaust sound of my C63. I also prefer the seats (although the F80/F82 seats are a huge step up from the E9X M3) of the C63.

The M-DCT is just light years ahead of the MCT. Perhaps only Porsche's PDK is better.

Last edited by zibby43; 08-24-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by zibby43
I'm relaxed. I was just trying to flesh out the discussion a bit. We all appreciate your impressions.

Tuned M4s are putting down 539 whp and 585 ft-lb of torque. http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006304

You must have a very quick CLA45, thanks to your modifications - which is great! Do you have any 1/4 mile runs down yet? I was quite surprised that the F80/F82 has been ripping off 116 mph trap speeds - that is seriously quick.

In comparison to the E92 M3 (which I've driven extensively, including on a road course) the F80/F82 is a major improvement in many regards. The F80/F82 feels like a much more competent daily driver because of the copious amounts of usable torque.

Despite having the new electric steering setup, the F80/F82 steering is an upgrade from the steering on the E9X. However, my C63's hydraulic steering setup provides more feedback/communication though. I also prefer how consistent the C63's steering is - it's firm irrespective of driving mode (i.e., C, S, S+, M).

Both the M3 and the M4 I drove felt like they had more torque than my C63. I never expected that. That's what turbos will do. However, while my C63 pulls strong and hard to redline from 5,500+ rpm, the M3 and M4 run out of breath a bit at the top end.

Relative to my LCI C63, the F80/F82 has a fresher interior and much more technology (the M-specific HUD is fantastic). The carbon fiber trim is also a very nice touch. All the new M3/M4 models I've driven had the "full" leather interior. The stitched dash both looks and feels phenomenal.

I obviously prefer the engine/exhaust sound of my C63. I also prefer the seats (although the F80/F82 seats are a huge step up from the E9X M3) of the C63.

The M-DCT is just light years ahead of the MCT. Perhaps only Porsche's PDK is better.

2015 BMW M3: Restoring the Faith, BMW M is Back! - Ignition Ep. 112 - YouTube
Ok, I didnt want anyone to think I was really trying to bash the car in anyway. I was just expecting to feel a more powerful engine. I dont care about HP#s but if there are close I would suspect that the V6TT would feel stonger than a 4cyl Turbo.

It really was a nice car. I looked at the last model M3 and you can really see where they went in an upgraded the car. I still feel that when I mashed on the gas it was spongy and there was unexpected lag.

The mods on my cla45 really make it a completely different car from stock. This thing has instant power at 2000 RPMS. The car pulls hard on the highway too all the way to 7000RPMS.

I did like the BMWs tranny but I do not feel that the CLA45s tranny is that bad at all. I like to drive my car around and beat on it a little here and there so I do not feel like a better tranny will change my driving experience.

The CLA is def a raw, loud sports car ride. The engine sounds so good with my exhaust upgrade I don't even use the radio.

After driving the M3 I got in my car and punched it out of the dealership and it really FELT that much better.

Lastly, The BMW dealer ship had a ton of M3s and M4s which means we will see a lot of these on the road. In almost a year I have only seen one AMG 45, and it was't modded like mine. This is cool to me because I like having something different!
Old 08-24-2014, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Ok, I didnt want anyone to think I was really trying to bash the car in anyway. I was just expecting to feel a more powerful engine. I dont care about HP#s but if there are close I would suspect that the V6TT would feel stonger than a 4cyl Turbo.

It really was a nice car. I looked at the last model M3 and you can really see where they went in an upgraded the car. I still feel that when I mashed on the gas it was spongy and there was unexpected lag.

The mods on my cla45 really make it a completely different car from stock. This thing has instant power at 2000 RPMS. The car pulls hard on the highway too all the way to 7000RPMS.

I did like the BMWs tranny but I do not feel that the CLA45s tranny is that bad at all. I like to drive my car around and beat on it a little here and there so I do not feel like a better tranny will change my driving experience.

The CLA is def a raw, loud sports car ride. The engine sounds so good with my exhaust upgrade I don't even use the radio.

After driving the M3 I got in my car and punched it out of the dealership and it really FELT that much better.

Lastly, The BMW dealer ship had a ton of M3s and M4s which means we will see a lot of these on the road. In almost a year I have only seen one AMG 45, and it was't modded like mine. This is cool to me because I like having something different!
The "lag" you speak of may be the lack of "pep" that you would get from a 4 banger.
A 4cyl car feels more peppy than a 6 and especially a 8cyl. Going from a 4cyl to a NA 8cyl car you will feel that the engine is not as responsive (pep), so I suspect that you may feel the same going to a 6cyl, especially a Turbo 6.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:32 PM

The "lag" you speak of may be the lack of "pep" that you would get from a 4 banger.
A 4cyl car feels more peppy than a 6 and especially a 8cyl. Going from a 4cyl to a NA 8cyl car you will feel that the engine is not as responsive (pep), so I suspect that you may feel the same going to a 6cyl, especially a Turbo 6.
I own a pretty peppy 3.0 Twin turbo car. I guess what I am saying is that I just expected more power throughout the RPMs.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-AMG C63S Edition 1
Well heres everything that I know about the exhaust etc and how it makes the sound lol.

In comfort mode the car doesn't make the sound or the crackling etc on downshifts since a flap on the right exhaust is closed. During sports mode/manual mode the flap opens up allowing for the more aggressive sound, the crackling, and the big bang.

That's honestly all I know lol. Although now I actually am curious what makes that lovely sound when I switch gears, and how they managed to make a I4 sound so good.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 AM

It it NOT the Bypass valve. It most likely has to do with ignition timing.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:37 AM

I've test driven the F82 M4 several times now (and the F80 M3 once). I strongly but respectfully disagree regarding the "lag."

Finally, "Active Sound" only accounts for a mere 1.5% of the noise you hear in the cabin. It's that marginal.

The W205 C63 has its work cut out for it, in my opinion.
Now Zibby, sorry bro I have to call you out on this one. Do you really think BMW would include active sound in their car if it only changed the sound by 1.5 percent??? That sounds BS on BMW. That percentage is so small you most likely wouldn't even hear it....so why would they add it?

Watch the first few minutes of that video, He does one run with the windows down in a tunnel, and one with the windows up. The Active sound accounts for much more than 1.5 percent.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Now Zibby, sorry bro I have to call you out on this one. Do you really think BMW would include active sound in their car if it only changed the sound by 1.5 percent??? That sounds BS on BMW. That percentage is so small you most likely wouldn't even hear it....so why would they add it?

Watch the first few minutes of that video, He does one run with the windows down in a tunnel, and one with the windows up. The Active sound accounts for much more than 1.5 percent.
Well . . . you can call me out all you want but I'm a moderator on Bimmerpost. We've been breaking news on the F80/F82 platform for years (back to the first test mules). We have interviewed several BMW M executives and engineers. I'm no fan boy of either brand. I've owned 6 BMWs in the last 6 years and now I have 2 Mercedes-Benz sedans.

And here is the link confirming the percentages:
http://www.motoringresearch.com/car-...eal-0513943059

“The engine note in the cabin is largely pure,” said BMW M head of project management Carston Pries at the international launch of the new M3 and M4. “The electronic noise is minimised and only makes up 2% to 3% of the sound you hear.”

That was from an independent source. I guess I was off by 0.5%

We confirmed with BMW Germany that, regarding the Active Sound on the M3 and M4, it's a live amplification of the S55 engine's natural sounds. There is no artificially generated sound or pre-recorded track being played. This sound amplification takes place through the M3/M4/s stereo speakers.

You can read more here: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=893548

BMW includes it so the driver knows the car is on and running in situations where the car is traveling at low speeds with windows up, etc.

It's a Euro safety thing.

Apology accepted.

Last edited by zibby43; 08-26-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Apology accepted.
lol, I am sorry but "sound amplification" is still fake!
If I talk through a loud speaker can I claim that I have a loud bellowing voice?

2-3%... LMAO the M fanboys are the funniest when they try to defend their fake engine noise.

Nothing wrong with loving the M3/4, I love them too, but there is no defending the exhaust noise emanating from the speakers. Just stop before you embarrass yourself among people who enjoy real/un-amplified engine noise why we still have that luxury.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
lol, I am sorry but "sound amplification" is still fake!
If I talk through a loud speaker can I claim that I have a loud bellowing voice?

2-3%... LMAO the M fanboys are the funniest when they try to defend their fake engine noise.

Nothing wrong with loving the M3/4, I love them too, but there is no defending the exhaust noise emanating from the speakers. Just stop before you embarrass yourself among people who enjoy real/un-amplified engine noise why we still have that luxury.
Are you addressing me?

If so, how am I an M fanboy? Did you actually read any of my posts before responding? I don't own a single BMW at the moment.

I was defending my statement that the Active Sound accounts for virtually nothing.

At 2-3%, there is ZERO chance you'd be able to distinguish what is coming from the motor/exhaust and what is being amplified. Zero.

I have no dog in the fight as to whether the car needs Active Sound.

But by rambling on about how it's fake, you're kind of missing the point entirely because at 2% of total sound, who gives a damn?
Old 08-26-2014, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Are you addressing me?

If so, how am I an M fanboy? Did you actually read any of my posts before responding? I don't own a single BMW at the moment.

I was defending my statement that the Active Sound accounts for virtually nothing.

At 2-3%, there is ZERO chance you'd be able to distinguish what is coming from the motor/exhaust and what is being amplified. Zero.

But by rambling on about how it's fake, you're kind of missing the point entirely because at 2% of total sound, who gives a damn?
Sorry, I accuse anyone who attempts to defend lame, fake, amplified, lazy engineering, pathetic engine sounds playing out of speakers of being an M fanboy.

Real automotive Engineers tune the engine/exhausts and not speakers.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Sorry, I accuse anyone who attempts to defend lame, fake, amplified, lazy engineering, pathetic engine sounds playing out of speakers of being an M fanboy.

Real automotive Engineers tune the engine/exhausts and not speakers.
Good thing I'm not defending it.

But just as a courtesy, you look pretty naive when you say "real automotive engineers tune . . ."

The M engineers tune the exhaust note plenty (along with every other part of the car).

Have you even driven, or at least heard, the new M3/M4 in person or is this all based on your internet exposure to the car?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe' '99' Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.8 DD
I'm wondering why they even need the so called 2-3% in the first place? If it could hardly even be noticed, why even do it? I think that percentage is
Old 08-26-2014, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Good thing I'm not defending it.

But just as a courtesy, you look pretty naive when you say "real automotive engineers tune . . ."

The M engineers tune the exhaust note plenty (along with every other part of the car).

Have you even driven, or at least heard, the new M3/M4 in person or is this all based on your internet exposure to the car?
I am pretty sure that you asked me this question before.
I am pretty sure that I stated that I just like to make fun of the fake exhaust note through speakers in a performance car and anyone who defends it.

Get over it already... Its FAKE... I could do the same thing to a Honda Civic and then brag about how my car sounds better than any supercar, when the fact is the only people that can hear how awesome the car sounds are the people inside listening to a FAKE exhaust note.

If BMW amplified the sound for "Euro safety" then why did they add the "2-3%" fake exhaust? Do we need fake sound for "Euro safety?"

If its for "Euro safety" then why doesn't every car with a lackluster exhaust have fake exhaust playing through the speakers?

I am sure the 320i exhaust is quieter than a M3... does it also play a fake exhaust for "Euro safety?"

There is zero excuse for it... its FAKE, its pathetic, and its lazy engineering especially for a "performance" division.

Would it stop me from buying a M3/4/5/6, absolutely not! But I would not defend such a pathetic engineering decision.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 PM

Are you addressing me?

I heard the exhaust coming out of the speakers. So how can it only be 2-3 percent. Im not a dumbass. I know what I heard and it is pretty easy to hear the sound coming from the speakers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test drove the NEW M3.....Illl keep my CLA45