Sponsored by:

AMG Performance Exhaust option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner Trail, C63P Edition 1
Originally Posted by Will617
If you were to watch the review by Chris Harris you would see that there is a lot more to it. 1 flap opens in between the two pipes to creates an H-pipe. The two other flaps control the direction from a longer to a shorter pipe with slots in them.
Exactly. Looks like a good down pipe + the performance exhaust should be plenty loud enough, well for me anyways.
Attached Thumbnails AMG Performance Exhaust option-image.jpg  

Last edited by deutschlandFan; 06-07-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GTS, 2016 GLE, 2013 SLK55, 2015 GLA, 2015 GLK, 2014 E350, 2013 GLK
Bespoke88, Im with you on this one. I've seen the Chris Harris vid and read the DOG. I think the "perf" exhaust adds the 2 flaps in the mufflers enabling the car to be quieter. I think the standard exhaust has the flap in the crosspipe only. I'm guessing that the perf exhaust really is "dynamic" exhaust enabling a broader range of exhaust sound from quiet to loud. My SLK has this feature.

Sure be nice to have dyno runs or sound level measurements for both systems.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C63S
People who think there is no difference between the standard exhaust and the perf exhaust are mistaken. The perf exhaust enables you to manipulate the sound even in comfort mode. The perf exhaust sound is much deeper. If you are going with an aftermarket exhaust then of course don't get it but the perf exhaust allows you more options.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpXMVyMaeKE
Old 06-28-2015, 09:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 c63s
I read through this thread and still don't understand it. Is the function of the performance exhaust to make it louder than standard exhaust? Or is it to give you the choice of making it it less loud than standard exhaust when want to, and louder when want to?
Old 06-28-2015, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S
louder when you want it.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:03 PM

You shouldn't. I don't think we know what it does. The Chris Harris review that is often cited in not helpful either because it makes no mention of the standard exhaust and does not clearly define the differences. MB literature does not make things clear either in that it does not specify horsepower (or noise) gains either quantitatively or qualitatively.

I work in an engineering company an the verbiage that comes out of marketing is often quite different than we as engineers would use. I think that's what's happening here. If the exhaust actually increases performance, let's see some dyno data or quarter mile times to prove it.

In the meantime you are left guessing as to whether you should spend $1250 on something you don't understand, but of course we all love perf exhaust, so they are betting we will bite.

I believe the std exhaust has the cross tube and flap, allowing the car to have different exhaust character for different modes. I believe the std and perf exhaust have the same performance, or MB would say the HP gain you can expect from the perf exhaust, like they did with the 30HP power option on the w204. I also believe the perf exhaust can be made quieter than the std exhaust due to the flaps.

And if anyone knows anything else, it would be great to hear it:
-HP curve with std exhaust/perf exh open/perf exh closed
-exterior noise level with the 3 diefferent exhaust configs
-interior noise level with the 3 different exhasut configs
-quarter mile runs, etc
Old 06-28-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
Originally Posted by JB C63S
You shouldn't. I don't think we know what it does. The Chris Harris review that is often cited in not helpful either because it makes no mention of the standard exhaust and does not clearly define the differences. MB literature does not make things clear either in that it does not specify horsepower (or noise) gains either quantitatively or qualitatively.

I work in an engineering company an the verbiage that comes out of marketing is often quite different than we as engineers would use. I think that's what's happening here. If the exhaust actually increases performance, let's see some dyno data or quarter mile times to prove it.

In the meantime you are left guessing as to whether you should spend $1250 on something you don't understand, but of course we all love perf exhaust, so they are betting we will bite.

I believe the std exhaust has the cross tube and flap, allowing the car to have different exhaust character for different modes. I believe the std and perf exhaust have the same performance, or MB would say the HP gain you can expect from the perf exhaust, like they did with the 30HP power option on the w204. I also believe the perf exhaust can be made quieter than the std exhaust due to the flaps.

And if anyone knows anything else, it would be great to hear it:
-HP curve with std exhaust/perf exh open/perf exh closed
-exterior noise level with the 3 diefferent exhaust configs
-interior noise level with the 3 different exhasut configs
-quarter mile runs, etc
Good comments -- I agree. I don't have anything else to add except I bought the marketing and added it to my build. I have watched Youtube videos attempt to compare and contrast the two sounds but we know videos do no justice for the look and sound of this car. I believe Alex did a write up on the car he tested and provided comments on the difference. Unfortunately, hearing it in person is the only real way to figure if its really worth the $1250.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
No dyno/quarter mile data to share, but I do know one thing: when I hit the button, I get loud exhaust noises.... it makes me smile every time I drive it.

We'll need someone to put both cars with and without the PE on a rack to compare the systems. It should be readily apparent from a visual check if the exhaust routing is different, or if it's just logic of different flaps opening at different times.

I'm glad I got it::::: I can have loud exhaust in C mode hyper miling to work @ 28mpg...... and I can have quiet whisper exhaust in S+ mode so as to not attract unwatned attn at the stop light....... if this is not important to you then, dont' get it.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:21 PM

Hey Betrezra, glad you like your perf exhaust. Can you elaborate on what it does for you? How quiet can you make the car? If you drive with it on through a neighbourhood at normal speed, does it sound like a C300? How loud does it get with the noise maker turned on? Have you heard other cars to compare it to? What does the sound sound like? Have you tried acceleration runs (say 40 to 100) with it in quiet and loud? Could you time them to report a difference? Would be fun to compare your numbers with Amans. (Of course, would need tomadjust for weight, altitude, temp...)
Old 06-28-2015, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
335d xDrive, C63S on order
Originally Posted by betrezra
No dyno/quarter mile data to share, but I do know one thing: when I hit the button, I get loud exhaust noises.... it makes me smile every time I drive it.

We'll need someone to put both cars with and without the PE on a rack to compare the systems. It should be readily apparent from a visual check if the exhaust routing is different, or if it's just logic of different flaps opening at different times.

I'm glad I got it::::: I can have loud exhaust in C mode hyper miling to work @ 28mpg...... and I can have quiet whisper exhaust in S+ mode so as to not attract unwatned attn at the stop light....... if this is not important to you then, dont' get it.
I thought you was hyper miling just as a test but now your doing it all the time? Next you'll be telling us your dating a hairy armpit woman :p
Old 06-28-2015, 04:56 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Why ever bother listening to the Burmester Sound System if you've got this to listen to instead IMHO !!!
Old 06-28-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by omgitselaine
Why ever bother listening to the Burmester Sound System if you've got this to listen to instead IMHO !!!
Or if you have a really loud woman in the car you might need both at the same time to drown her out Just kidding.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:08 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB
Or if you have a really loud woman in the car you might need both at the same time to drown her out Just kidding.
Then again ................ I had always thought a " loud " woman was a ummmmmmm good thing
Old 06-28-2015, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by omgitselaine
Then again ................ I had always thought a " loud " woman was a ummmmmmm good thing
Your right. I stand corrected
Old 06-28-2015, 07:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 c63s

When you start the car, does it default to whisper mode? Or will it stay on the previous setting?
Old 06-28-2015, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
The scientific method will be a Db Meter inside/outside car in all modes with ex on/off.
Perhaps on a rolling road?

I don't have a db meter or rolling road..... so I can only comment on my 24 miles to/from work in all modes playing with the buttons on my new toy.

I would not buy this car without the ex on/off button option. It is a usable thing believe it or not.

I've had aftermarket ex on many diff cars, and this is the best of all worlds without the drone, loose rattling mounts, ill fitment, etc... of aftermarket.

If you are on the fence take a ride in a friend's car with the switch in all modes and decide for you self.

It will not be long before we get back-to-back ex on/off at the track to see what all the hoopla is about....... whether it's just noise or noise and HP/TQ increase.
My gut says cat back has little effect, but I don't have much exp with turbo cars....... so I'll defer to EC andWeistec for the engineering solution.

Last edited by betrezra; 06-28-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 609 Likes on 415 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
There's an APP on the Google Play store (also for Apple) entitled Sound Meter. Download it and it will do a reasonable job of measuring the various sounds from the system. It can also show you graphically the frequency distribution of the exhaust noise and how much it changes. I've listened to a C63S ED1 at the dealer and can certainly hear the difference in the settings, but I wouldn't call the quietest a "whisper setting" by any means. Looking at the examples on the web, I don't see much of a difference in system length so I would expect that there's not much in the way of a less restrictive system when place into the loudest setting.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Good call HB.

If I get some spare time I'll see about getting some measurements.

They really need to be back-to-back.... I've found my exhaust system sound changes with amb temp.... and life of the muffs.... they get louder with time at least my eissenmann did.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
After having a car here without the PE Exhaust; the stock is louder & throatier at idle. I know that sounds crazy but it's true. I have revered my car with the flaps open at idle and the stock exhaust is louder. However, on the road, the PE Exhaust is much louder. My belief, and I could be wrong, is to make the car sound like a real AMG at start up.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by JPMBenz
After having a car here without the PE Exhaust; the stock is louder & throatier at idle. I know that sounds crazy but it's true. I have revered my car with the flaps open at idle and the stock exhaust is louder. However, on the road, the PE Exhaust is much louder. My belief, and I could be wrong, is to make the car sound like a real AMG at start up.
I was surprised how loud the non P/E C63s was that I test drove. Especially when they started it.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by Will617
I was surprised how loud the non P/E C63s was that I test drove. Especially when they started it.
That is what I am referencing. The non PE exhaust at start up is louder.

Last edited by JPMBenz; 07-02-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 609 Likes on 415 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Thank you sir. That's what I needed to understand in order for me to justify the PE option. It's now been added to my build.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Civic Si / 14 Jeep GC SRT / 16 C63s (Dead) / 17 C63s (Ordered)
It would be nice if aftermarket exhausts that have flaps like the P/E use the functionality of the switch inside the vehicle to control the flaps rater than a phone app.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
I ran a pretty non-scientific test this AM getting some coffee in the cooler 82 deg AM weather..... ran in S+ with loud pipes ON, and then loud pipes OFF.... and it was def down on power with the quiet mode in play...... per my butt o meter.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
I ran a pretty non-scientific test this AM getting some coffee in the cooler 82 deg AM weather..... ran in S+ with loud pipes ON, and then loud pipes OFF.... and it was def down on power with the quiet mode in play...... per my butt o meter.
Me too. Had the wife in the car and she commented on the P/E off sound. Thought it was really aggressive so I told her "nope, that's the quiet sound." Got out of the neighborhood and put it in S+, hit the gas and she went, "OMG!!!!" I said yep, now you know why I've drooled over this car for the last five months.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG Performance Exhaust option