C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.0 V8 Biturbo Engine Turbo Lag

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2017 | 11:49 PM

2007 E350
what you are describing doesn't add up for me and I've driven na cars like the original audi r8 4.2 and the last gen rs5.. I can honestly say 0 turbo lag for me and I drive in race and s+.. Well zero lag before I drain the batteries trying to figure out the command system and tinting. btw, imo the c63s is more a muscle car than a sport car. Maybe there's a problem with your c63s?
Old 10-21-2017 | 03:34 AM

2018 C63S Coupe
I suspect that what most are attributing to "turbo lag" is actually differences in transmissions.

Modern turbos have little to no lag. MCT, DCT, PDK, etc. make a huge difference.
Old 10-21-2017 | 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by HarrySeaward
I suspect that what most are attributing to "turbo lag" is actually differences in transmissions.

Modern turbos have little to no lag. MCT, DCT, PDK, etc. make a huge difference.
correct sir.
Old 10-21-2017 | 10:01 PM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by Carlos Ferreira
Hi,

I drive an SLS since 2010 and I recently bought a C63 AMG S.

I have no question or doubt whatsoever that the NA 6.2 Engine is far more superior and better in terms of driving experience than the new turbo one.

the new turbo engine does have a very clear lag, and worse than that, it lost completely the milimetrical crispiness of the accelerator at low, medium and high rpms...

One example of, in my opinion, a terrible and much worse engine, is the Nissan GTR either 2010 or 2017...completely unacceptable lag...it looks like you are driving with some kind of physical mail connection to the engine..you press the accelerator, someone writes a mail letter, send it to the post office, a truck picks it from the post office, delivers in the engine and the the engine searches for glasses, reads the letter and finally decides to do something. However, if the accelerator oscillation in low revs is very small, the engine just decides there is no need to do nothing..just forget about the letter...

AMG tried to compensate with some nice sound in the exhaust, some measures were taken for the turbo lag...but honestly, for someone that likes to drive and feel an engine in all RPMs...and like accelerator crispiness..( and I think that is fundamental in a sports car ) the new turbo engine is unfortunately relatively bad, compared to the old 6.2..no question about it...It may be possible to make more power with some simple remaps, but that will only make it worse..I am amazed how is it possible that most people are not complaining about this..The only reason I can understand this, is because maybe most people did not have a good 6.2 NA to use as daily drive...
If you want zero lag, drive a B8 S4 with the supercharged V6, and get a stage 2 tune on it (it'll make around 450 hp). That engine, with the DCT transmission, has zero lag. Anything else feels like it has lag compared to it, if just for the fact that torque is constant across the RPM band and the engine is always on boost.

I notice zero (actual) engine lag in the W205. I do notice transmission delay, but it's actually faster at throttle depression downshifts than Audi's DCT. Upshifts are a tad slower, but overall inconsequential for me because I'm not driving the 1/4 (ever).
Old 10-24-2017 | 08:34 AM

2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by Carlos Ferreira
Hi,

I drive an SLS since 2010 and I recently bought a C63 AMG S.

I have no question or doubt whatsoever that the NA 6.2 Engine is far more superior and better in terms of driving experience than the new turbo one.

the new turbo engine does have a very clear lag, and worse than that, it lost completely the milimetrical crispiness of the accelerator at low, medium and high rpms...

One example of, in my opinion, a terrible and much worse engine, is the Nissan GTR either 2010 or 2017...completely unacceptable lag...it looks like you are driving with some kind of physical mail connection to the engine..you press the accelerator, someone writes a mail letter, send it to the post office, a truck picks it from the post office, delivers in the engine and the the engine searches for glasses, reads the letter and finally decides to do something. However, if the accelerator oscillation in low revs is very small, the engine just decides there is no need to do nothing..just forget about the letter...

AMG tried to compensate with some nice sound in the exhaust, some measures were taken for the turbo lag...but honestly, for someone that likes to drive and feel an engine in all RPMs...and like accelerator crispiness..( and I think that is fundamental in a sports car ) the new turbo engine is unfortunately relatively bad, compared to the old 6.2..no question about it...It may be possible to make more power with some simple remaps, but that will only make it worse..I am amazed how is it possible that most people are not complaining about this..The only reason I can understand this, is because maybe most people did not have a good 6.2 NA to use as daily drive...
I owned a W204 C63 w/ the 6.2L V8. The M177 is better in every conceivable way, with the possible exception of exhaust note, where it's a tie. I also find the M177 accelerator pedal to be pretty linear in terms of power delivery. I too strongly suspect what you're experiencing is transmission related.
Old 10-24-2017 | 10:32 AM

2017 c63s
I find that people who generally complain about turbo lag don't know much about it. They heard the term a long time ago and it stuck with them as a negative. They then attribute it to what ever issue they have with a car. Usually it is their driving that is the issue. The turbos on the car are small and spool rather quickly. Especially in the format that they have them set up and the size of the motor.

If there is ever a time that you are noticing lag, your driving the car wrong. If you manually throw the car in a high gear with a low rpm and floor it, you will find lag. This is horrible for the motor and should NEVER be driven this way.
Old 10-24-2017 | 11:56 AM

AMG C63S
Originally Posted by irablumberg
My wife owns the W204 C63. This sounds like something I observe with her car, particularly when the transmission is cold. This is definitely one of the annoyances of the transmission which is supposed to be improved in the W205. Particularly in comfort mode, there is a bit of hesitation when starting out from a full stop. This usually results in my pressing down on the gas pedal further in impatience and then the car accelerating more quickly than I wanted.

It is a relatively minor annoyance as it typically only happens when the car is cold and in comfort mode.

We will have to wait to see how the W205 performs. Generally, turbo lag is not an issue when accelerating from a dead stop, generally it is most noticeable when accelerating while driving at low RPM, so in general this issue does not sound like lag.
For the W205, in comfort mode the car starts in 2nd gear for a smoother feel. May be what you and others are describing. Huge difference in the off the line feel between comfort, sport, and sport+. And yes the car needs to warm up a bit before things smooth out. Noticed this as well on ours. Even if we start in sport+, we give it a few minutes of driving before we really start driving it hard.

I would say the other impact to off the line performance, is traction control. Getting the power to the ground and having the car hookup, sometimes feels like it’s really holding back. Flashing traction control light on the dash is a dead give away.
Old 10-24-2017 | 05:31 PM

2018 Audi S6
I've always been a NA guy, but as somebody esle already said, need to get on board with the times. Only reason I'm considering selling my current 2016 Cayman GTS is due to being overly sporty for my wife (54). It's a shame, because doubt will find a better driver's car. But again, there will be advantages, like a quieter cabin, better ride, which will equate to more pleasant trips, which is what I have to do to get to any twisty roads. Anyway, rented a C63 from Hertz (4-dr), and was really surprised how close to NA the powerplant feels. What was a bit of a letdown was the tranny, mainly its harshness on certain ocassions, like when upshifting at easy throttle, resulting in a very un-MB 'BANG'. I drove it almost the entire time in manual mode, which is what I do 100% with my Porsche PDK (I'm used to manuals, and this was my first auto. A thing of the times too. He he). Doubt there's a better tranny than the PDK, but it's obviously less reliable in the long run, especially on a heavier car, so yet another compromise. However, I was satisfied with the speed the tranny shifts, and the way it takes off most of the time, resembling a manual tranny (with the wet clutch pack). But sometimes the engine revved too high, and no movement, like when backing up on a slight incline. Wonder how long the clutches last. If they last over 100K miles, I wouldn't worry about this tranny at all, since it's a planetary gear unit, and can't get much robust than that. What I also liked is at 3K rpm in 7th, it does around 100 mph, which is a nicely relaxed pace for good fuel economy. I don't like the coupe (which I'd buy) is geared shorter (via the diff), but would like to know exactly what speed it travels at 3K rpm in 7th. Was very disappointed to hear the coupe is louder than the sedan in another post, and that might prove to be a fatal flaw, but will continue looking for answers. Still want to drive one. But if top gear is just like 85 at 3K rpm, might as well just write it off right now. Would have to look into the new E43 coupe, but also read it was surprisingly loud inside the cabin, mostly wind noise. Or just keep my car. Don't want too big of a compromise, or won't be happy. The C63 coupe seems to be exactly that, but never imagine it'd be that noisy. The sedan is, but obviously less than my car, and therefore acceptable. But it was louder than I expected for sure.