2015 Edition 1 Intro/Concerns, looking for input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 12:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 AMG GT63s
2015 Edition 1 Intro/Concerns, looking for input

Hey,

Had the great pleasure of shopping for a company vehicle this summer, I was originally looking at all three of the big guys (Audi, BMW, Mercedes), was very unimpressed with what Audi had to offer so I was down to an M3 or a C63. I was really liking the M3 offered in MT even though its not as fast as an AT sports box you will never get away from the feeling of driving a MT vehicle. Ultimately it came down to the level of the interior of the C63 in which I was blown away with in comparison to anything else on the market, and coming from a S550, everything transitioned nicely. It also just so happen to be coincidental that the local dealer just took delivery of a Edition 1 C63s, which I could not pass up on after I sat in it.

I took delivery in late July, and just put it away for the winter last week, put a little over 4,000 miles on it this summer and wanted to share my thoughts and some concerns that I have.

Overall the car is a blast to drive, I am impressed with every element of build quality MB has put into this car, from the interior ambience to the aggressively subtle exterior and the thrashing amount of low end torque available.

Within the 4,000 miles I had a couple of service appointments due to low engine oil light, driver headlight not aligned right, and one of the performance exhaust valves would squeak during auto start/stop (which is a ridiculous function in a performance car to even have). Other than that no mechanical nuances.

I suppose the late add to this group, is I just found out you existed and and very glad that you do. Their are a couple minor complaints if anyone can shed some light on this.

1) I cannot get this car to hook up to save my life on 265's, ran 13.3 at the track and it spins for days in both 1st and 2nd chirping in 3rd. This is will Race start, in race mode, manual mode transmission with sport traction (impossible with no traction on)

2) Had a weird mechanical issue at the track, before a run I did a burnout to warm the tires and after noticed that no boost was building at all, the gauge was flat 0 for the next 2 runs. After I shut the car off and waited a while and turned it back on and ran the next run without a burnout and boost was back. Anyone care to share some thoughts on what could have happened? This was almost 1400 miles ago and since everything has worked great with no error or CEL messages.

3) Mercedes really should have added some clear bra near the wheels, the front arch makes your door jam and from fender prime candidate for chips of all kinds, hoping to get it repaired and put some clear bra on it next season.

4) Is anyone aware can Mercedes repair the Edition 1 wheels, I have two chips on the red rim of the wheel. I would have put some larger rubber on the car to help protect these better as well as add in the lack of traction this care gets. (Next season I will upgrade to 255's front and 285's rear to solve both issues.

And lastly I am not looking over the winter for some upgrades to the car, mostly creature comforts interior and exterior styling as well as some minor power adders (DP back exhaust and Tune) anyone have any recommendations for these types of items as the only thing I can find out these two options with little to nobody to talk about them
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/-p-1...t3shoCjJ3w_wcB
http://www.fi-exhaust.com/product/me...5_amg_c63.html

Finally here are some pictures, I had the dealer remove the Edition 1 outside Vynl as I found it to be to obnoxious for such a high end car, took away from its elegance.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA45 AMG
On issue 1/. Try not using race start & co ordinate slight revs with brake release when you want to go. If you are using regular tires don't do burn out to over heat them as they loose grip. Different story on R rubber.
I used this on 1/8th mile that wasn't preeped so no grip & repeatedly did 7.8sec while everyone who used race start were in the 9's.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:02 AM

2020 AMG GT63s
On an un-prepped 1/8th my best time was 8.5s. just spins for days.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
2) Had a weird mechanical issue at the track, before a run I did a burnout to warm the tires and after noticed that no boost was building at all, the gauge was flat 0 for the next 2 runs. After I shut the car off and waited a while and turned it back on and ran the next run without a burnout and boost was back. Anyone care to share some thoughts on what could have happened? This was almost 1400 miles ago and since everything has worked great with no error or CEL messages.

Carbon:
I am responding to #2 above and I had the same thing occur that at 975 miles I thought it was MB limiting the power during break in so after 1000 (no shut down) I tied it again and same but after a shut down and restart the boost came back with the power.
Today it had no boost a couple of runs and I shut down and it was ok again but after a couple more runs it lost boost again until shutdown and again OK.

I never waited long during shutdown, only 10 seconds to get boost back so it was not a heat issue and water and oil temps were normal.
I will call service Monday and if they know anything I will post but will probably have to take in and I am going out of town so I won't get to dealer for 2-3 weeks.
Roy
Old 10-04-2015, 09:44 PM

2020 AMG GT63s
Let me know what they say, mine is in storage now until spring (Buffalo Winters), but it was rather concerning.

Also hoping some vendors get some aftermarket pieces ready for purchase before next year as well, looking forward to that.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Buffalo huh--I'm heading to Saratoga Springs this week.
I will post if they find anything.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by Carbon8
1) I cannot get this car to hook up to save my life on 265's, ran 13.3 at the track and it spins for days in both 1st and 2nd chirping in 3rd. This is will Race start, in race mode, manual mode transmission with sport traction (impossible with no traction on)

I know I'm flogging a dead horse here, but here you have the achilles heel of the C63. Apply 700nm of torque to 265 rears and this is what you get. They gave the GT-S 295 rears for a reason...

What I don't get is why they gave the C63 coupe 285s in the rear, but have only 265s on the sedan. This and the continuation of the MCT gearbox (where the GT-S got a proper dual clutch) and the W205 C63 just feels like a wasted opportunity to me.

Last edited by Bardman; 10-05-2015 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:23 AM

2020 AMG GT63s
Seriously considering picking up a set of these (http://www.powerwheelspro.com/shop/p...roducts_id=730) over winter with some propper rubber attached, just would need to find a shop to finish them to mirror the Edition 1 black and red theme.

Anyone have any reviews on this vendor, I understand they are not genuine wheels, but any balance or other issues?

Old 10-05-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS550
I know that Mercteil gets genuine MB parts. Maybe you can contact them for that wheel. I've seen it on their site under the W204 tab.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
15 AMG C63S ED1
Originally Posted by Carbon8
Seriously considering picking up a set of these (http://www.powerwheelspro.com/shop/p...roducts_id=730) over winter with some propper rubber attached, just would need to find a shop to finish them to mirror the Edition 1 black and red theme.

Anyone have any reviews on this vendor, I understand they are not genuine wheels, but any balance or other issues?

They sure look nice.