C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with electric steering? Or is this how it is supposed to be?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2019 | 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Had the issue fixed yesterday. Feels like a completely different car. If someone in the tristate area needs service MBRVC is your best choice.
Old 11-12-2019 | 01:37 PM

2010 BMW M3, 2010 Lancer Evolution X, Incoming 2020 C63S Coupe
Good to hear you got this fixed. If I could ask a favor - next time you get a chance, could you turn your steering wheel to full lock (either direction), let go of the wheel and accelerate at ~5 mph and see if the wheel corrects itself to center?
Old 11-13-2019 | 05:44 PM

C45 amg
Originally Posted by myfavedave
Has anyone managed to resolve this issue? I have it on my 2019 coupe, so I'm surprised it hasn't been rectified if it's a known issue.
I currently have my 2019 coupe in for this issue as we speak. It’s hard to describe but on certain gentle left hand bends the steering momentarily locks and is reluctant to turn to centre.
The dealership have driven it for long enough to witness the issue but so far haven’t found the issue. Has anyone else actually solved this? I’ll report back. IMO it could be dangerous.

Last edited by Realbenz; 11-13-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-13-2019 | 06:05 PM

2010 BMW M3, 2010 Lancer Evolution X, Incoming 2020 C63S Coupe
I don't have your specific issue, since my steering wheel stays "stuck" while in a full turn-to-lock position. But wouldn't a replacement steering rack have at least been one of the first fixes to perform?
Old 11-14-2019 | 12:48 AM

C63S, 997S, 911SC, EVO X
Originally Posted by Realbenz
I currently have my 2019 coupe in for this issue as we speak. It’s hard to describe but on certain gentle left hand bends the steering momentarily locks and is reluctant to turn to centre.
The dealership have driven it for long enough to witness the issue but so far haven’t found the issue. Has anyone else actually solved this? I’ll report back. IMO it could be dangerous.
Where abouts are you located?
Both mine and NYSoil got it resolved with a new steering rack.

I had to push hard to have it resolved...The issue is obvious, but they are just not sure if its the steering rack and reluctant to do anything.
I personally noticed the same issue on another demo MY19 as well. I feel for the person who buys it.
Old 11-14-2019 | 12:54 AM

C63S, 997S, 911SC, EVO X
Originally Posted by JPM-3
... But wouldn't a replacement steering rack have at least been one of the first fixes to perform?
It is because the steering is electronic... and they can't distinguish if it's a software from a mechanical fault.
The fault also doesn't register on there scan tool. Hence, dealerships will shy away from doing anything for you.

Last edited by Blitz168; 11-14-2019 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-14-2019 | 02:36 AM

C45 amg
I’m in the U.K. mine is a March 2019. I hope it’s a dodgy batch of racks and not something that will break easily on a new one.
thanks for your helps guys.

Last edited by Realbenz; 06-25-2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-25-2019 | 03:39 PM

C45 amg
Hi guys,
just to update. I just got mine back after being at the Mercedes dealer for 5 weeks. I can’t complain about the service I received from them albeit slow but I am disappointed that Mercedes release a new model with so many cars worldwide having this issue! I’m just wondering when the recall will be! Before someone loses control of their affected car.

So after a week of testing, eventually permission was given to change the steering rack (it was on back order for a fortnight). It turns out the new rack they fitted was also faulty! When I enquired it seems it was a reconditioned one that was fitted so for some reason removed steering racks seem to be going back into circulation which I think is worrying!

Last edited by Realbenz; 06-25-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2020 | 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by JPM-3
Good to hear you got this fixed. If I could ask a favor - next time you get a chance, could you turn your steering wheel to full lock (either direction), let go of the wheel and accelerate at ~5 mph and see if the wheel corrects itself to center?
A bit of a late reply, but I remembered your post. I had the issue you are describing with full lock or almost full lock at low speeds. Also felt some other weirdness in the steering crop up. Turns out my alignment got knocked out and in combination with the resulting chewing up of my front tires, the steering got progressively worse. I eventually discovered that both inner edges of my front tires were badly worn to the point where some of the belts started to show partially and the rubber was chunking. Having had this issue before with other cars, it was clear that the alignment has gone bad. I'm guessing it was a combination of hitting some rather bad sections on the German Autobahn at fairly high speeds shaking the entire car and the normal settling of the suspension.

Anyway, I had the dealership check the alignment when I brought it in for the 10k service and as expected they found both front toe angles out of spec and yesterday I had all four tires replaced with a new set of Michelin PS4S. Wanted to get rid of the PSS anyway. As far as I can tell, all weirdness with the steering is gone, including the steering not returning to center at low speeds. Car drives like a dream now and I'm counting on more grip with the rear tires. Have to break them in over the next 500 miles, but I did some quick pulls on my usual onramp yesterday and where it previously spun the wheels up to third gear sometimes, the PS4S did barely spin. I went with the stock size, but noticed the PS4S seems to be a bit wider than the PSS, so slightly wider contact patch. They look slightly less stretched than the PSS did. Depending on how they perform, I may consider going up to a 295 next time.
Old 02-12-2020 | 02:38 AM

C45 amg
Thanks for your response. Mine still has the same problem... 8 weeks at a dealership now and they seem unable to find the problem.

can anyone think what they would do? I’ve had enough now.
thanks
Old 02-12-2020 | 10:14 AM

2019 AMG C63s coupe
I have a 2019 C63s coupe and have definitely noticed something similar.
Only at freeway speeds, the steering sometimes has a weird "heavy" feeling. It has never felt "locked" however if for example you deflect the wheel enough to change lanes the wheel wants to stay in that exact position. It does not naturally return to a neutral position. After changing lanes it takes positive input and more than "normal" return the wheel to centered.
I have raced my car on track in race mode and never noticed it then.
Its odd, intermittent but not alarming or dangerous and I have just chalked it to the electric steering and or some computer function and not a mechanical fault or inherent design fault.
My car does not have any have the electronic "nannies"
Old 02-12-2020 | 07:46 PM

C63S, 997S, 911SC, EVO X
Originally Posted by gilmdjd
I have a 2019 C63s coupe and have definitely noticed something similar.
Only at freeway speeds, the steering sometimes has a weird "heavy" feeling. It has never felt "locked" however if for example you deflect the wheel enough to change lanes the wheel wants to stay in that exact position. It does not naturally return to a neutral position. After changing lanes it takes positive input and more than "normal" return the wheel to centered.
I have raced my car on track in race mode and never noticed it then.
Its odd, intermittent but not alarming or dangerous and I have just chalked it to the electric steering and or some computer function and not a mechanical fault or inherent design fault.
My car does not have any have the electronic "nannies"
It never happened at high speeds.. but was annoying enough for me to complain and have it fixed.
You drive an AMG.. The whole damn steering is electric.. so all the feedback is electric lol
Old 02-13-2020 | 03:05 AM

C45 amg
Originally Posted by Blitz168
It never happened at high speeds.. but was annoying enough for me to complain and have it fixed.
You drive an AMG.. The whole damn steering is electric.. so all the feedback is electric lol
yeah it never happens at high speed; it’s about 20-40mph around left hand bends and it’s annoying. Potentially dangerous I think because your brain always expects a steering wheel to return to zero on its own and when occasionally it doesn’t then you overcompensate.
Old 05-17-2020 | 10:50 PM

S500
I have the exact same issue with my 2019 model. Brought it to the dealership and they could not find anything wrong. The idiot service representative also told me the car had a hydraulic steering rack and then gave me the added insult of trying to explain how a "performance car handles and drives". This is the worst steering I have ever had in any vehicle and AMG should be ashamed of this crappy design.
Old 05-18-2020 | 11:15 AM

2020 MB C63s Coupe RENNtech
I went through this with my 2020 63s Coupe. Local dealer changed rack, then pump and finally after 3 failed repairs in 6 weeks the car was lemon'd for a new 2020 which has been perfect. Stay on top of dealer service department and dont let them tell you its fine, cause its not. Stay on it, remember to use key words like 'its a safety issue'.
Old 05-18-2020 | 11:30 AM

C45 amg
Originally Posted by RazzleDazzle
I went through this with my 2020 63s Coupe. Local dealer changed rack, then pump and finally after 3 failed repairs in 6 weeks the car was lemon'd for a new 2020 which has been perfect. Stay on top of dealer service department and dont let them tell you its fine, cause its not. Stay on it, remember to use key words like 'its a safety issue'.
im struggling still to get anywhere with mine. What country are you in? I made formal complaint to MB and they wouldn’t entertain it. Told me to get a second opinion. Do you have any paperwork stating what exactly where the technical issues that can be quoted?
cheers

Last edited by Realbenz; 07-10-2020 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-18-2020 | 11:35 AM

im struggling still to get anywhere with mine. What country are you in? I made formal complaint to MB asking to reject the car and they wouldn’t entertain it. Told me to get a second opinion. Do you have any paperwork stating what exactly where the technical issues that can be quoted?
cheers
I am in Florida. No paperwork than shows the cause, as they were never able to fix it. I actually showed the dealer GM this thread and things started to happen. I am fortunate to have a really good, long relationship with my dealership so they pushed my replacement through after the 3 failed repair attempts. I took many videos etc and glad it got switched out otherwise I would have sold it. I reported my first issue driving it home from the dealership. In the first 6 weeks it was at dealer more than at home. Dealers dont want to replace racks as they are very expensive and to be honest it didnt fix mine. Its a C63 mystery.
Old 05-18-2020 | 11:39 AM

C45 amg
Thanks for your reply. Seems like we have suffered the same. Mine is on my third rack and still has the niggle. Expensive to fix, but they are now saying it is and it isn’t. I’ve sat next to the mechanics as it’s done it. They say nothing and then later on I pretty much get told it’s in my head.
So much for the customer is always right!
Old 05-18-2020 | 11:42 AM

Thanks for your reply. Seems like we have suffered the same. Mine is on my third rack and still has the niggle. Expensive to fix, but they are now saying it is and it isn’t. I’ve sat next to the mechanics as it’s done it. They say nothing and then later on I pretty much get told it’s in my head.
So much for the customer is always right!
Have they ever replaced power steering motor?
Old 05-18-2020 | 11:54 AM

C45 amg
I’m not sure to be honest. They said “steering rack”.

Last edited by Realbenz; 06-25-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-17-2020 | 09:17 AM

C45 amg
Hi guys,

I’m struggling to get a resolution with my electric steering not returning to centre intermittently. MB again are saying there’s nothing wrong with it.
Can I canvas opinion from the community as to who still has ongoing and unresolved issues? And who has had it eventually fixed and if so what was the fix in the end?
Mine is on It’s 3rd steering rack.

Thanks

Old 07-17-2020 | 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Mine was repaired twice, its better now but not fully fixed. Dealer offered to dig deeper, take the whole car apart which can takes weeks/months. I said I'll take it back AS-IS for now
Old 09-18-2020 | 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
So the issue came back and now its even worse than before. Really disappointed with the car at this point. Going to drop it off again, my dealer said they will try their best and they will involve Germany at this time (some new VR technology that they use, they no longer send a representative down). Don't really want to lemon the car, want to keep it for as long as I could being its the last of the V8 and I drove it in Europe... But the car is not drivable and even for me its dangerous to drive.
Old 09-18-2020 | 11:42 AM

2020 C63s Coupe
I have both 2017 F82 M4 Competition and recently purchased 2020 C63s Coupe.
So far, steering feel is definitely my least favorite part of driving otherwise amazing C63.
While both M4 and C63s have electric steering, one on M4 in my opinion is much superior in terms of having that connected feeling.
The following users liked this post:
Omega4 (07-05-2021)
Old 09-18-2020 | 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
So the issue came back and now its even worse than before. Really disappointed with the car at this point. Going to drop it off again, my dealer said they will try their best and they will involve Germany at this time (some new VR technology that they use, they no longer send a representative down). Don't really want to lemon the car, want to keep it for as long as I could being its the last of the V8 and I drove it in Europe... But the car is not drivable and even for me its dangerous to drive.
Sorry about your continued issue. I was just wondering. Have you had the ESP recall and AMG Drive Unit campaign done yet? I haven't specifically noticed any issues, but a malfunctioning ESP could certainly have odd steering behavior. The AMG Drive Unit issue seems to be mostly affecting the dynamic engine mounts, but nonetheless could potentially set something wrong with the steering. The ESP campaign is 2020080016 and the AMG Drive Unit campaign is 2020080005. My car is currently in the shop to get these done and a few other things.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Issue with electric steering? Or is this how it is supposed to be?