C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with electric steering? Or is this how it is supposed to be?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 03:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C63s
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
I probably would go with the buy back if I could do Euro delivery again with W205 C63 but none of these two are available so will keep waiting for them to fix the car…
Hoping they can resolve things for you and I'd be interested in how it goes as I have the same problem.

I'm thinking the strong demand for V8 AMGs may be behind their offer to buy back, at least in part - It's not like they'd have trouble reselling it. Just this week my dealer was asking to buy mine - not in trade, just a straight buy.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,646 Posts
2019 C63CS
I probably would go with the buy back if I could do Euro delivery again with W205 C63 but none of these two are available so will keep waiting for them to fix the car…
I hear you. It'd be tough for me to part with it at this point, not to mention that buying a new car right now isn't a great idea with all the shortages. Hope they'll find the root cause.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C63S
hey guys,
I have had this problem from the day 1 when I drove out of the dealership in 2019.
I have also driven multiple demos at the dealership which all had the same issue at the time.

I have had all the updates previously mentioned, plus am on my 3rd steering rack.
It is currently better than when I recieved the car, but it still gets stuck randomly at 11am position.

When I report these issues, Mercedes refuses to acknowledge its an actual issue.

I have now also developed a right side knock when the wheel is on an angle and on uneven ground.

Sorry to say, but this would be my last AMG.

Im from Sydney, Australia. I do want to keep this car, but the steering issues are dreadful and they failed me as a manufacture of a sports car.

I also purchased a M2C recently. The electronic steering is perfect. Its like Mercedes forgot all about R and D on AMG models.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:25 PM

2016 C63s
C63s 2016 electric power steering locks while driving

hey, I feel for you. I have the same problem on my c63s 2016 when I drive it the steering locks for a bit until I force it out of lock! Have you found a way to solve it??
Old 03-31-2022, 07:12 PM

2016 C63s
C63s 2016

Originally Posted by palisades
Bump. Anyone else experiencing this? Still trying to figure out if it is an isolated issue with a handful of cars, or widespread. Thx.

yes I am experiencing the same problem and it's getting worse, my steering wheel would literally lock in on round exits and would go full circle if I leave it for 5 seconds it wouldn't go back to center. I miss my 2011 c63 naturally aspirated real AMG
Old 03-31-2022, 11:17 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2007 E350
After going through this whole post. Some of you here have had your steering rack replaced multiple times. This leads me to think that the issues of steering returning to center when turning is not caused by the steering rack. Has anyone try to replace the steering shaft and sensor? If you have and still has the problem then the problem is in the suspension components such as front thrust arm or lower control arm (bad bushing). If alignment is in spec then it’s definitely one of those. I don’t have issues with steering returning but with other steering problems. Found several culprits and now the steering is absolutely perfect. One of the best electric rack when it works perfectly
Old 04-01-2022, 04:47 AM

2016 C63s
Originally Posted by koifysh
After going through this whole post. Some of you here have had your steering rack replaced multiple times. This leads me to think that the issues of steering returning to center when turning is not caused by the steering rack. Has anyone try to replace the steering shaft and sensor? If you have and still has the problem then the problem is in the suspension components such as front thrust arm or lower control arm (bad bushing). If alignment is in spec then it’s definitely one of those. I don’t have issues with steering returning but with other steering problems. Found several culprits and now the steering is absolutely perfect. One of the best electric rack when it works perfectly

i haven't started fixing anything in my car but damn all these suggestions are going to be super expensive to try and figure out what the heck is going on. The technicians that briefly looked at it and experienced it agree that it's "some electrical " and not mechanical problem but I am thinking to take it to the agency of MB itself in Saudi Arabia or Bahrain so I hold them accountable if this **** doesn't work because I usually fix outside as they rip your face off as a normal course of business
Old 04-01-2022, 06:09 AM

2016 C63s
i wanted to ask you, I saw the video you posted on YouTube and the problem you have is kind of similar to mine though mine seems a bit more severe. Has changing the front thrust arm and/or lower control arm with several culprits fixed your issue of the steering wheel being stuck on your video ?? Could you please post the invoice of the work performed on your car that'd fixed it.

all the best,
sultan

Old 04-01-2022, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by Sultan Jafari
hey, I feel for you. I have the same problem on my c63s 2016 when I drive it the steering locks for a bit until I force it out of lock! Have you found a way to solve it??
After 1 year in service I sold that piece of sh*t and moved on.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Steering shaft, sensors and control unit were replaced on mine and that didn’t help, unfortunately. My dealer replaced every thing possible for me and I gave Mercedes a full 1 year to try to fix the car because I wanted to keep it very much.. oh well, picking up M4 xdrive comp tomorrow.

Old 04-01-2022, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Still think there's something uniquely wrong with the affected cars. This is really when AMG needs to send out an engineer to look at it, instead of just having dealership techs replace one part after the other and hope for a different outcome. Unfortunately, they stopped sending out engineers during the pandemic. Not sure if they resumed in the meantime. I still remember when I had a unique transmission leak with my Audi RS5 back in 2013. Sometime between picking it up at the factory and driving around in Europe for a month the transmission oil filter came loose and put a dent in the oil pan. They discovered it during the 5k service and replaced the filter and oil pan, but two days later it leaked again. Audi immediately sent out an engineer to figure out why the transmission is still leaking. They suspected a manufacturing defect and that they would have to replace the entire transmission, but the engineer discovered that the replacement oil pan got damaged during transport and was bent. They ordered one more, which again arrived damaged, but the third one was finally good and it never leaked again. Unfortunately, replacement parts get damaged during transport more often than you think. So they may replace a defective part with another defective part. My SA back then said it happens far too often unfortunately. The people who handle the parts and ship them don't care. They often just throw them on a shelve w/o any protective packaging.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:24 PM

2007 E350
Steering shaft, sensors and control unit were replaced on mine and that didn’t help, unfortunately. My dealer replaced every thing possible for me and I gave Mercedes a full 1 year to try to fix the car because I wanted to keep it very much.. oh well, picking up M4 xdrive comp tomorrow.

your problem is a blessing in disguise. The new m4 is better in every way minus the sound and engine. Congrats on it!
The following users liked this post:
NYCSoiL (06-20-2023)
Old 07-07-2022, 04:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C63s AMG and 2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Originally Posted by ///Bruce
I currently own a 2018 Macan Turbo. Last week, I accidently turned on the LCA. Holy *****! On the beltway around Houston, it's four lanes wide. Over the years they've expanded it here and there. The Macan wanted to track THE OLD LINES in the road. NOT the new ones. I turned that sucker off in a heartbeat. To others that have mentioned this issue, it will cause a wreck if one hasn't happened already. IMO, it's dangerous.
Dude we have the same cars! But mine are 1 year older.. that's pretty cool! I have a 2017 Macan turbo in volcano grey with pebble grey/agate grey interior with Cobb accesport and flat 6 carbon fiber intake and filters and a 2019 C63S in selenite grey with black interior that will have OE tune and VRP downpipes after next week. Might I say, you have excellent taste haha The C63 is a beast! But the macan is one hell of a car too, I feel like it's the best combination of performance and practicality. It just doesn't have that low, small, sports car feel.

Anyway, I've used the lane keep assist on the macan a LOT, and I know what you mean. The autopilot on my old tesla used to do the same thing. But that is not the issue with the C63.. I'm having the same issue others described and I don't have distronic / LKA on my c63, it's not related to the lines on the highway.. it's the car trying to hold a turn that the driver has set, and it sucks.
Old 07-07-2022, 04:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C63s AMG and 2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Originally Posted by Sultan Jafari
yes I am experiencing the same problem and it's getting worse, my steering wheel would literally lock in on round exits and would go full circle if I leave it for 5 seconds it wouldn't go back to center. I miss my 2011 c63 naturally aspirated real AMG
I have the same issue everyone has described. I'll start with this: I do NOT have distronic, or any type of lane keep assist options on my C63s.

I just bought my 2019 C63s last week and it had 170 miles on it, so it was as good as brand new, basically never been driven. As of today I have 700 miles, so not even done breaking it in yet, and I have the same problem others described.

When on the highway in a long soft curve where I will have the wheel turned to somewhere between 1-3 o'clock the car will want to hold that turn. It's similar to the feeling of lane keep assist gently trying to stop me from turning the wheel, BUT it's not trying to stop me from turning the wheel, it's trying to stop me from straightening the wheel. I always notice it most at the end of the long curve, since that's when I begin to straighten the wheel and feel the resistance. I wouldn't describe it as a problem, but I don't like it and it certainly bothers me. I do think it seems to be mostly in C mode, I don't know if I've noticed it in S+ yet.

Really hope someone figures out how to turn this off!
Old 07-07-2022, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by Gkg434
I have the same issue everyone has described. I'll start with this: I do NOT have distronic, or any type of lane keep assist options on my C63s.

I just bought my 2019 C63s last week and it had 170 miles on it, so it was as good as brand new, basically never been driven. As of today I have 700 miles, so not even done breaking it in yet, and I have the same problem others described.

When on the highway in a long soft curve where I will have the wheel turned to somewhere between 1-3 o'clock the car will want to hold that turn. It's similar to the feeling of lane keep assist gently trying to stop me from turning the wheel, BUT it's not trying to stop me from turning the wheel, it's trying to stop me from straightening the wheel. I always notice it most at the end of the long curve, since that's when I begin to straighten the wheel and feel the resistance. I wouldn't describe it as a problem, but I don't like it and it certainly bothers me. I do think it seems to be mostly in C mode, I don't know if I've noticed it in S+ yet.

Really hope someone figures out how to turn this off!
Mercedes is not going to fix it or even acknowledge that this is an issue. Its a design flaw that is also affecting the GLC platform, dealers have an internal documentation about this provided by the Mercedes. MBUSA refused to lemon my 2019 C63S the last minute (I think the decision came from Germany) even though in the beginning MBUSA confirmed and even offered to buy it back. I sold the car for a profit anyway though lol
Old 07-07-2022, 03:57 PM

2007 E350
Im curious as I never had this problem. Mine is a prefacelift 2018 coupe. When my upper strut mount went bad thats when I have the problems above ^^ where it will stay in the 2 o’clock position. Has anyone here try replacing the strut mounts? Steering shaft and some of the busing in the suspension?
Old 06-19-2023, 01:41 PM

2019 Mercedes C63s Coupe
Any update on the resolution of this issue? I just got this car and I seem to be having this issue.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
After replacing the steering rack and several other parts my car still has this issue on occasion. The frequency has been reduced, but it is still there. MB obviously has either a software or a steering rack problem and I wish you luck on your quest. The other annoyance is the smell of coolant every time I drive this car that I have been told is perfectly normal as well...
Old 06-19-2023, 02:01 PM

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
C63s Sedan
I have the same issue as well, never read this thread while my warranty was intact

Sad to say I'm used to it now. Thought it was an overdue wheel alignment issue.
Old 10-31-2023, 08:21 AM

2020 C63S
I had this same issue as well with my 2020 C63S, and after following this thread for a few months, saw that MB wasn't going to figure it out. With the new model coming out I gave up hope and traded it in for an M5. I really loved the car for the 6 months I had it, but couldn't get past the steering issue. It is unfortunate that they have washed their hands of this.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:50 PM

2007 E350
This steering issues imo is purely mechanical. A suspension geometry issues. Mine is a 2018 coupe, I don’t have the stuck steering issues. I do have an issue where my alignment would go out 1 to 2 weeks after an alignment. My steering would go from dead center off a few degree off center. Figured out it was the rear track bar where you adjust rear toe. Replaced that with an aftermarket one and problem gone. For the steering not returning to center means that something is off in the front suspension geometry. I suspect this as some on here replace their steering rack multiple times. So it can’t be the rack as everyone I know outside of this forum with w205 don’t have this problem. Although I could be completely wrong & the rack is the culprit. However, it’s unlikely
Old 11-02-2023, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yeah as I said above, I also suspect this to be a specific suspension issue affecting some cars. Perhaps damage caused by bad roads. Never had this steering issue, but my alignment also frequently went out during the first few years and I had excessive inner front tire wear, but both issues seem to have resolved themselves. I had two suspension issues fixed since the last time I had these concerns. First one was a creaking in the front at full lock. If I remember correctly it was the lower left control arm and a bit later had both rear dampers replaced. They made a high pitched electronic noise at low speeds and the new dampers made a difference in how the car rides, so they were clearly malfunctioning.