C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selenite Grey or Magno Selenite Grey for new coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
C63S Coupe/Range Rover Vogue SE
Selenite Grey or Magno Selenite Grey for new coupe?

What do you guys think, anyone that's seen the colours in real life? I have seen selenite grey but have yet to see magno selenite. Also, what's everyone's opinion on metallic vs. matte paint?

The order freeze for my C63 S coupe is not for another 2 weeks or so and I'm torn between the two

Opinions would be much appreciated

Last edited by Trim105; 11-23-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
BMW X5
Hey Trim105,

I was initially attracted to the matte finish on the sedan (before changing my order to the coupe) as I thought it would make it stand out a bit more and somehow make the car look meaner.

However after seeing the photos on here of the selenite grey and other grey gloss finish paint jobs on other MB cars think it's hard to go pass that. All the different shades and depth that it adds to the car in different light looks awesome, so I'll definitely be opting for Selenite Grey if we get it in Australia. Otherwise it might be palladium silver or another darker colour as personally I think it looks better with darker paint.

Also from other 3rd parties (including my wife) I've heard several times that the matte finish can look a bit cheap.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:03 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by RHRAUS
Hey Trim105,

I was initially attracted to the matte finish on the sedan (before changing my order to the coupe) as I thought it would make it stand out a bit more and somehow make the car look meaner.

However after seeing the photos on here of the selenite grey and other grey gloss finish paint jobs on other MB cars think it's hard to go pass that. All the different shades and depth that it adds to the car in different light looks awesome, so I'll definitely be opting for Selenite Grey if we get it in Australia. Otherwise it might be palladium silver or another darker colour as personally I think it looks better with darker paint.

Also from other 3rd parties (including my wife) I've heard several times that the matte finish can look a bit cheap.

Just my 2 cents.

Agree with the above.

Trim105 this is all personal opinions obviously, I've seen all the matt colours in real life and sorry to say I'm not a fan of them, even the matt white.

The main 'put off' for me is the maintenance issue as they will be much harder to look after and repair properly if need be, unless you invest in a complete protective cover up film which may help with that issue or alternatively you could matt cover the whole vehicle with your choice of colour and it would be reversible at anytime, the other obvious problem you would have down the track is resale - matt colours are a niche, so finding someone else to buy it will be tougher than selling an "ordinary" colour.

The other aspect which I can't seem to get over is the fact that the grey shades of matt look like undercoat and as if the car is unpainted or unfinished

At the end of the day though it's your choice, go with what you really want for all of your own reasons
Old 11-16-2015, 09:43 PM

Thanks for your input guys, appreciate it. I do actually agree with both of you overall.

As RHRAUS said, the metallic paints do have quite the visual appeal.

And AV1 I agree, my main concern was the added maintainance that comes with matte paint, not sure if I can be bothered with that nonsense

My main attraction to the matte was the 'cool factor' surrounding matte coloured cars I guess, but I think I'll just stick with metallic and wrap if I ever feel the need.

Well, that was easily solved! Thanks again you two
Old 11-17-2015, 01:20 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Trim105
Thanks for your input guys, appreciate it. I do actually agree with both of you overall.

As RHRAUS said, the metallic paints do have quite the visual appeal.

And AV1 I agree, my main concern was the added maintainance that comes with matte paint, not sure if I can be bothered with that nonsense

My main attraction to the matte was the 'cool factor' surrounding matte coloured cars I guess, but I think I'll just stick with metallic and wrap if I ever feel the need.

Well, that was easily solved! Thanks again you two

Your welcome Trim105, but keep in mind these are all just my and other peoples opinions, if they're constructive opinions all it really does is make everyone more aware of associated aspects, if you really want a matt duco then go for it as long as your happy with your choice and purchase

I certainly understand the difficulty in selecting a colour for this new C205 C63, it looks HOT in any colour really
Old 11-17-2015, 01:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 c63s edition 1 coupe
I thought they were only doing the magno selenite for the edition 1 / motorsport?
Old 11-17-2015, 01:24 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Magno507
I thought they were only doing the magno selenite for the edition 1 / motorsport?

Not sure but in some markets you can option any duco colour for your AMG from the Designo range colour palette which the magno is a part of
Old 11-17-2015, 01:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A45, Amarok, C63s Edition 1 wagon.
I was going to go with Iridium Silver Magno for my Edition 1 wagon but decided to go with regular Iridium Silver instead. My theory is that I'm going to have the entire car wrapped in Xpel Ultimate protective film anyway and I can get one panel wrapped in Xpel Stealth to see how I like the look before I commit to getting the entire car done in either. To be, it's the best of both worlds - protection and gloss if I want it, or protection and matte if I want that. No maintenance for the matte paint. I doubt it will look exactly like Iridium Silver Magno but it'll be close enough.

It might be worth looking into doing something similar.

Last edited by finch!; 11-17-2015 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Magno507
In the UK it's available as standard, edition 1 or not. Not sure about other markets.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by finch!
I was going to go with Iridium Silver Magno for my Edition 1 wagon but decided to go with regular Iridium Silver instead. My theory is that I'm going to have the entire car wrapped in Xpel Ultimate protective film anyway and I can get one panel wrapped in Xpel Stealth to see how I like the look before I commit to getting the entire car done in either. To be, it's the best of both worlds - protection and gloss if I want it, or protection and matte if I want that. No maintenance for the matte paint. I doubt it will look exactly like Iridium Silver Magno but it'll be close enough.

It might be worth looking into doing something similar.
Hi finch, thanks for your input! I'm probably going to do the same thing and go for xpel stealth over metallic selenite
Old 11-17-2015, 07:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A45, Amarok, C63s Edition 1 wagon.
Originally Posted by Trim105
Hi finch, thanks for your input! I'm probably going to do the same thing and go for xpel stealth over metallic selenite
No worries. I should have my car in February - I'll post some photos of what I learn during my experiment

We don't have Selenite Grey as an option here. I wish we did...!
Old 11-17-2015, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
I would order the coupe in Iridium Silver or Brilliant Blue. That is my personal opinion. I love magno paints but there is just to much to deal with. That is coming from a guy who loves to clean cars. LOL
Old 11-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts
E90 M3, F80 M3, C63 507, F90 M5
^^ flat paint has easier maintenance than gloss paint. Essentially swirls are non existent.

RHRAUS very nice point there.

Any idea if these colors are available for the sedan?
Old 11-23-2015, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 c63s edition 1 coupe
agree ^^ much easier. previous car was m3 in frozen grey (matte) and now edition 507 in magno platinum.. maintenance is a breeze
Old 11-24-2015, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Maintenance is a breeze and it has a cool factor. I luv mine.
Only issue is dings cannot be easily fixed like regular cars so use Xpel on front, door sills and around wheels and you will be fine.
The option of Xpel stealth is also very attractive as if you do not want matte anymore, just remove it.