Sponsored by:

Exhaust too quiet ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Exhaust too quiet ?

Coming from w204 c63 , even with the valves opened , w205 seems way too quiet comparing to that 6.2 v8. Am I the only one or someone on the same boat with me ?
Old 11-24-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 C55
Well yeah....its kinda obvious why
Old 11-24-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
I actually felt it was louder at lower revs under 3000RPM. Of course at higher revs it can't match the 6.2L
Old 11-24-2015, 07:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
Originally Posted by vessproms
Coming from w204 c63 , even with the valves opened , w205 seems way too quiet comparing to that 6.2 v8. Am I the only one or someone on the same boat with me ?
Sounds like you need downpipes

Black Friday Special on them if you need a set
Old 12-15-2015, 07:23 PM

2016 Mercedes Benz C63s AMG
Originally Posted by James@ACGAutomotive
Sounds like you need downpipes

Black Friday Special on them if you need a set
will you be having a sale this christmas???
Old 12-16-2015, 03:09 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by whitehotC63S
will you be having a sale this christmas???
We do have a holiday sale going on! Pricing for downpipes and tune including labor is $4,925, regular $6,245.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-c...-specials.html
Old 12-17-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Getting More Exhaust Sound

The loudest overall setting is in Sport+ when the idle speed goes up to 900 and the electric valves on the rear tailpipes open up a bit more. However, there are still variances in the amount of sound at different rpms, indicating the valves are actively moving to different degrees. There are two passages in the mufflers, one more restrictive than the other. The valves divert the exhaust partially to the more restrictive passages to reduce the sound level. The valves are not fully open to the less restrictive passage except under heavy acceleration when there is maximum sound. I noticed that actuation of the valves is not by vacuum as with most other cars, but by electric solenoids residing on the top of the tailpipes just in front of the rear mufflers. So I tried disconnecting the switches above the solenoids to see if that might just keep the valves open all the time. Effectively, open valves would let all the exhaust go through the less restrictive passages in the mufflers at any rpm. Success. Now it sounds like a NASCAR racer from idle. Your neighbors will know you have a V8. The switches are snap on. If you want to try this, be careful separating them from the solenoid bodies by unlatching the plastic tabs on the tops. Cover the exposed electric connections on the switches and tailpipe solenoids with electric tape so that they will stay clean from road grime. It seems that the factory first designed the mufflers for straight through operation and maximum sound. Then they probably decided that they needed to reduce the sound at varying rpms to keep most customers happy driving around town. Thus there are two passages within the mufflers. BMW and Jaguar do this too, as do probably every manufacturer that has an "active exhaust" option. I bought it for the V8 sound and am happy with the unrestricted sound all the time. When it is time to trade it in, just snap the switches back on, and it all goes back to normal.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:36 AM

C63
Thanks for the way and I am running mufflers delete already but just too quiet to me. When accelerating , I think it's even quieter then the stock w204 c63
Old 12-19-2015, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by jfo53
The loudest overall setting is in Sport+ when the idle speed goes up to 900 and the electric valves on the rear tailpipes open up a bit more. However, there are still variances in the amount of sound at different rpms, indicating the valves are actively moving to different degrees. There are two passages in the mufflers, one more restrictive than the other. The valves divert the exhaust partially to the more restrictive passages to reduce the sound level. The valves are not fully open to the less restrictive passage except under heavy acceleration when there is maximum sound. I noticed that actuation of the valves is not by vacuum as with most other cars, but by electric solenoids residing on the top of the tailpipes just in front of the rear mufflers. So I tried disconnecting the switches above the solenoids to see if that might just keep the valves open all the time. Effectively, open valves would let all the exhaust go through the less restrictive passages in the mufflers at any rpm. Success. Now it sounds like a NASCAR racer from idle. Your neighbors will know you have a V8. The switches are snap on. If you want to try this, be careful separating them from the solenoid bodies by unlatching the plastic tabs on the tops. Cover the exposed electric connections on the switches and tailpipe solenoids with electric tape so that they will stay clean from road grime. It seems that the factory first designed the mufflers for straight through operation and maximum sound. Then they probably decided that they needed to reduce the sound at varying rpms to keep most customers happy driving around town. Thus there are two passages within the mufflers. BMW and Jaguar do this too, as do probably every manufacturer that has an "active exhaust" option. I bought it for the V8 sound and am happy with the unrestricted sound all the time. When it is time to trade it in, just snap the switches back on, and it all goes back to normal.
This is awesome I'm going to try it tomorrow! What are the steps needed to make sure the valves are all the way opened?
Old 12-19-2015, 06:29 AM

C63S
Originally Posted by jfo53
by electric solenoids residing on the top of the tailpipes just in front of the rear mufflers. So I tried disconnecting the switches above the solenoids to see if that might just keep the valves open all the time.
+1 Can you post some pictures too? Thanks

I've looked at the exhaust schematic for C63S. I can see the actuator parts (is that what you mean?) but pictures will really help.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:24 AM

C63S AMG W205
Anyone here on the East Coast/Tri-State area?
Old 12-19-2015, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
You definitely need downpipes! Some members are saying they sound as good as the 6.2! I still need to hear that in person to confirm that statement is true.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:05 PM

Yeah! Lol I just unplugged the servos for the exhaust valves. Dumbs the power WAYYY down. The car shifts early and the power dies around 5K RPMs. Plugged them back in and I'm back to breaking loose at 50mph haha. Don't do what I did. I'm going to be looking for down pipes and a tune soon. But to be honest, the car is very loud. The problem is the sound deadening inside the cabin. Next time you're flooring it next to a car or a wall with the windows down. Listen to the nasty visceral roar coming from back there lol. It's especially noticeable around 2500-4000 rpms. Also. Put the rear seats down or just the center section. It helps a lot.

Last edited by whitehotC63S; 12-19-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by whitehotC63S
Yeah! Lol I just unplugged the servos for the exhaust valves. Dumbs the power WAYYY down. The car shifts early and the power dies around 5K RPMs. Plugged them back in and I'm back to breaking loose at 50mph haha. Don't do what I did. I'm going to be looking for down pipes and a tune soon. But to be honest, the car is very loud. The problem is the sound deadening inside the cabin. Next time you're flooring it next to a car or a wall with the windows down. Listen to the nasty visceral roar coming from back there lol. It's especially noticeable around 2500-4000 rpms. Also. Put the rear seats down or just the center section. It helps a lot.
So you did what jfo recommended and the side effect is reduced power via misinformation that is sent to the ecu?
Old 12-19-2015, 08:52 PM

Yes. I'm not sure what was going on but I think when the engine is revving past 5K rpms the valves close up to create some back pressure. It seemed as if the engine didn't want to rev high at all. Sort of stopped accelerating hard at 5K, it was odd feeling for sure. Felt like the car lost 80hp instantly.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Back pressure on a turbo? I think the electronics getting confused would be more likely. Either way that solution is a no go unless jfo wants to chime in.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 CLA 45AMG , 2015 C63 (W205)
https://www.instagram.com/p/--YGM2SK...ken-by=amanuuh sounds much better with downpipes. sounds even louder with a DP and exhaust. (i took my FI exhaust off cause the cops in my city are dicks)