Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 Standard vs Performance Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2016 | 03:37 PM

W205 C63 AMG
C63 Standard vs Performance Exhaust

Hi all. First post, so hello! I recently purchased my C63, unregistered prebuilt, got a great deal and dodged the waiting times, but it didn't come with the performance exhaust, which I'd have liked. So I have a few questions if anyone's able to answer them!

1) Has anyone heard both the standard and performance exhaust? How different were they? I looked under the car and noticed the standard exhaust has the valve on the H-pipe, but obviously not the ones in the back boxes, but how much louder does the performance exhaust make it? And how much quieter on the quiet mode?

2) Can the performance exhaust be retrofitted? Including the button? And, if yes, does anyone have an idea on cost?

3) Would it just make sense to get an aftermarket exhaust rather than retrofit the perfomance option? I prefer the idea of OEM, and I also like the idea of a switchable, preferably with the OEM button rather than a keyfob or something.

Thanks all!
Old 08-12-2016 | 04:26 PM

'17 AMG C63S Coupe
Not sure if this helps. It's a video comparison of the new C63s coupe with the performance exhaust valves open vs. closed. I would think that this performance exhaust system, with its valves closed, would closely match your configuration.

The following users liked this post:
Andyroo (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016 | 04:38 PM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CPatrick
Not sure if this helps. It's a video comparison of the new C63s coupe with the performance exhaust valves open vs. closed. I would think that this performance exhaust system, with its valves closed, would closely match your configuration.

Pure Sound: 2017 Mercedes-AMG C63 S Coupe (Start Up, Revs, Acceleration & Drive Modes) - YouTube
Thanks! I checked the pictures of both standard and performance exhausts and the standard has a single pipe after each back box (and before the bumper exhaust trim), while the performance has two pipes after each back box. Interestingly, the diameter of the pipe for the standard exhaust looked to be in between the bigger and smaller pipes of the performance exhaust. I guess that equates to the levels of noise?
Old 08-12-2016 | 04:59 PM

2021 GLE53; 2018 Audi R8 V10 Plus
1) Has anyone heard both the standard and performance exhaust? How different were they? I looked under the car and noticed the standard exhaust has the valve on the H-pipe, but obviously not the ones in the back boxes, but how much louder does the performance exhaust make it? And how much quieter on the quiet mode? Performance exhaust definitely sounds better (louder), but if you talk to 5 people they will give 5 different opinions on how much better. I have the performance exhaust and it is rare that I drive with the flaps closed. The sound is intoxicating and makes you want more.

2) Can the performance exhaust be retrofitted? Including the button? And, if yes, does anyone have an idea on cost? Have not heard of anyone doing this. Would probably cost way more than just going with an aftermarket exhaust.

3) Would it just make sense to get an aftermarket exhaust rather than retrofit the perfomance option? I prefer the idea of OEM, and I also like the idea of a switchable, preferably with the OEM button rather than a keyfob or something. Unfortunately, I think the keyfob option is going to be your only option. The AWE Tuning exhaust sounds great - if I didn't have the performance exhaust I would definitely upgrade. However, with having it, I struggle to justify the cost to buy and install for making it sound somewhat better, but not dramatically better.

Just my two cents...
Andyroo (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016 | 05:41 PM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jeremyf0923
1) Has anyone heard both the standard and performance exhaust? How different were they? I looked under the car and noticed the standard exhaust has the valve on the H-pipe, but obviously not the ones in the back boxes, but how much louder does the performance exhaust make it? And how much quieter on the quiet mode? Performance exhaust definitely sounds better (louder), but if you talk to 5 people they will give 5 different opinions on how much better. I have the performance exhaust and it is rare that I drive with the flaps closed. The sound is intoxicating and makes you want more.

2) Can the performance exhaust be retrofitted? Including the button? And, if yes, does anyone have an idea on cost? Have not heard of anyone doing this. Would probably cost way more than just going with an aftermarket exhaust.

3) Would it just make sense to get an aftermarket exhaust rather than retrofit the perfomance option? I prefer the idea of OEM, and I also like the idea of a switchable, preferably with the OEM button rather than a keyfob or something. Unfortunately, I think the keyfob option is going to be your only option. The AWE Tuning exhaust sounds great - if I didn't have the performance exhaust I would definitely upgrade. However, with having it, I struggle to justify the cost to buy and install for making it sound somewhat better, but not dramatically better.

Just my two cents...
Hmm. Maybe aftermarket is the right option, with just the fixed louder setting. I really don't like those little key fobs! I'll check with the dealer as well, see if they can do the retrofit and how much they'd want.

Alternatively, I could just get an exhaust guy to mod the backboxes—after all, the two mercy exhausts look the same from there forwards as far as i can tell.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2016 | 06:42 PM

2016 C63s
I don't have performance exhaust on my car and like you, don't like the idea of have a key that I need to keep in the car. I went with the AWE-Tuning Track exhaust. Still waiting for delivery so no videos but its just loud all the time. It still has the H-pipe with the valves but deletes the mufflers so no extra set of valves. (My understanding. Also not expensive $1350.
Old 08-13-2016 | 03:51 AM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by dforman15
I don't have performance exhaust on my car and like you, don't like the idea of have a key that I need to keep in the car. I went with the AWE-Tuning Track exhaust. Still waiting for delivery so no videos but its just loud all the time. It still has the H-pipe with the valves but deletes the mufflers so no extra set of valves. (My understanding. Also not expensive $1350.
Just a thought: wouldn't it be cheaper just to have someone make up a straight pipe for you to replace just the rear boxes with rather than get a whole new system? As far as I understand it, the standard exhaust has the h-pipe valve (opens in Sport+ and adds pops and bangs), and the rear boxes are sleeved and clamped on, so could easily removed and replaced?
Old 08-13-2016 | 07:06 AM

W205 C63 AMG
Just been under the car and noticed that, compared to the performance exhaust, the standard exhaust has larger back boxes (mufflers). That coupled with the wider outlet for loud mode makes it overall louder than the standard.
Old 08-13-2016 | 09:37 PM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by Andyroo
Just a thought: wouldn't it be cheaper just to have someone make up a straight pipe for you to replace just the rear boxes with rather than get a whole new system? As far as I understand it, the standard exhaust has the h-pipe valve (opens in Sport+ and adds pops and bangs), and the rear boxes are sleeved and clamped on, so could easily removed and replaced?
The normal exhaust does have the the H-pipe. It keeps the exhaust from droning as it opens and closes depending on RpM and throttle position. The pops and bangs are all created by the ecu. I was talking to a local tuner and he can make more or eliminate them complety when he flashes the ECU.

You could certainly do what you suggested with the straight pipes, however aftermarket exhausts you are also getting larger diameter pipes for a deeper growl.

Retrofitting would be tough as people have said above. You would need to wire the button, run wires to the rear mufflers, reprogram the car to open and close when you change modes.

Here is a pic of the stock vs awe you can clearly see the difference

The following 2 users liked this post by bgm130:
Andyroo (08-14-2016), JRSJR65 (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016 | 04:36 AM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bgm130
The normal exhaust does have the the H-pipe. It keeps the exhaust from droning as it opens and closes depending on RpM and throttle position. The pops and bangs are all created by the ecu. I was talking to a local tuner and he can make more or eliminate them complety when he flashes the ECU.

You could certainly do what you suggested with the straight pipes, however aftermarket exhausts you are also getting larger diameter pipes for a deeper growl.

Retrofitting would be tough as people have said above. You would need to wire the button, run wires to the rear mufflers, reprogram the car to open and close when you change modes.

Here is a pic of the stock vs awe you can clearly see the difference

Interesting, thank you for the insight. I think the car's deep enough as standard for my tastes—really I'd just like more volume, and more metallic 'growl' if possible. Removing the secondary cats seems like the way to go for the growl, but I'm not sure I want to do anything permanent to the car...

Fingers crossed the wiring for the performance exhaust is already in the room and unused—it could well be that the performance exhaust and the button are close to plug and play from the dealers point of view. I'll check with them and see what they say.

Edit: Wait, that's stock on the right? Where's the valve on the H-pipe? Mine has a valve there.
Old 08-14-2016 | 11:01 AM

2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
Originally Posted by dforman15
I'll be watching for updates/video. That's exactly what I have been considering. The AWE videos showing different exhaust systems they have are great. The track setup is definitely the best overall sound and like you said no valves to deal with! Look forward to seeing your setup, keep us posted!
Old 08-14-2016 | 01:53 PM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by Andyroo
Interesting, thank you for the insight. I think the car's deep enough as standard for my tastes—really I'd just like more volume, and more metallic 'growl' if possible. Removing the secondary cats seems like the way to go for the growl, but I'm not sure I want to do anything permanent to the car...

Fingers crossed the wiring for the performance exhaust is already in the room and unused—it could well be that the performance exhaust and the button are close to plug and play from the dealers point of view. I'll check with them and see what they say.

Edit: Wait, that's stock on the right? Where's the valve on the H-pipe? Mine has a valve there.
You could certainly remove the rear mufflers and replace with straight pipes with no permenant damage. There is a break right before it splits off towards the mufflers. So you could bolt on the straight pipes right there and if you wanted to go back to stock just unbolt them.
Yes that is the stock on the right. There is two H pipes on my stock exhaust. One in the front had the valve and the one in the back(shown) no valve
Andyroo (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016 | 02:43 PM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bgm130
You could certainly remove the rear mufflers and replace with straight pipes with no permenant damage. There is a break right before it splits off towards the mufflers. So you could bolt on the straight pipes right there and if you wanted to go back to stock just unbolt them.
Yes that is the stock on the right. There is two H pipes on my stock exhaust. One in the front had the valve and the one in the back(shown) no valve
Yeah, that should be a fairly cheap way to try out a louder system to see if I like it. The performance exhaust on loud mode only has a few small holes in it through the muffler so it can't be much quieter than a straight through.

I guess as well that a good exhaust guy should be able cut the cats out neatly enough to be able to replace them if needed down the line.

Thanks for your help! I'll report back on what the dealer says about retrofitting the performance exhaust as well.
Old 09-02-2016 | 10:35 AM

W205 C63 AMG
Just to add: Mercedes have confirmed that the Performance Exhaust cannot be retrofitted to a standard car.