Sponsored by:

2017 C63S without Back-up Camera?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C63S
Update..again

Dealer confirmed what I suspected all along. There is no way to add a factory camera at this point. The vehicle is missing all the wiring and hardware to support it. They said they can add an aftermarket camera. I declined that offer. I do not want them tearing apart the interior and dash of a brand new car to add something that should have been there from the factory. Also one member posted above saying they did this and it was a mistake.

The dealer is now looking to see how soon they can have another C63S built. They have a slot for a C63 (not a S) for December, but they are unsure if it can be changed to a S. I'm getting rather annoyed with how slow they are to find out and relay information to me as well.

As requested, here are the (crappy) pictures I have of the car. Still has all the shipping stuff on it. I'll try to get better pictures next time I'm at the dealer.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by pman9003
Update..again

Dealer confirmed what I suspected all along. There is no way to add a factory camera at this point. The vehicle is missing all the wiring and hardware to support it. They said they can add an aftermarket camera. I declined that offer. I do not want them tearing apart the interior and dash of a brand new car to add something that should have been there from the factory. Also one member posted above saying they did this and it was a mistake.

The dealer is now looking to see how soon they can have another C63S built. They have a slot for a C63 (not a S) for December, but they are unsure if it can be changed to a S. I'm getting rather annoyed with how slow they are to find out and relay information to me as well.

As requested, here are the (crappy) pictures I have of the car. Still has all the shipping stuff on it. I'll try to get better pictures next time I'm at the dealer.

My view has been and still is don't take it particularly if you are buying it.
That said how much is a compromise to a base c63 from what you ordered going to be? Trading a for b neither of which is a good thing just like Trump and Clinton.

Talk to Nav-tv about their system or Midland Engineering to see how they go about retrofits. Sorry for your troubles but hold your ground. It is unconscionable that they would do this.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:32 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
A Benz and a BMW
I can't belive they would make you wait another 3 months for a car that was not built to your order. I'm sorry you have to experience this bud - I genuinely feel for you

There is no other C63S that matches similar specs to your car near you? I would have your dealer get on the phone with the 10 closest dealerships and have them give you a list of options. Ideally find one that is about 1 or 2k more and have them match your current price. Say it with confidence and it'll happen. Best of luck boss!
Old 10-05-2016, 05:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
C63
My C63 is being built this week (or was supposed to be). After hearing issues about missing folding mirrors and cameras, I sent email to my Sales Guy to make sure the order is 100% spot on. I ordered in June, so it's been a long wait. That said, I will not accept a car that is not 100% the way I ordered.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
'17 Mercedes GLS550
Thanks for the photos! Interesting the '17 sedan does in fact does come with a color matched rear spoiler. Per MBUSA build configurator it appears as if though it doesn't.

I agree with the poster above about having them contact nearby dealers and see if there is something similar in build that could have them transport over at their expensive of course.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
2020 C63s Coupe, 2016 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by damnitBobby
Thanks for the photos! Interesting the '17 sedan does in fact does come with a color matched rear spoiler. Per MBUSA build configurator it appears as if though it doesn't.
Don't put too much faith in a configurator, rarely are they a 100% accurate representation of the real world.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
My C63 is being built this week (or was supposed to be). After hearing issues about missing folding mirrors and cameras, I sent email to my Sales Guy to make sure the order is 100% spot on. I ordered in June, so it's been a long wait. That said, I will not accept a car that is not 100% the way I ordered.
Exactly. What pisses me off on this case is the arrogance shown.
They claim they had supplier issues, which, as one who working in the NA supply chain to the little 3 as well as transplants I can relate to but to not install at least the wiring harnesses so the missing components could be bolted in later is just wrong.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:51 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
What's interesting is that, unlike the HUD issue which was communicated for the coupes several weeks/months before the build was due to arrive.. these weren't even communicated until the car was being delivered.

Almost seems like the North America factory wants to pull a fast one or is playing a guessing game whereas the European factory is being conservative.

(Based on the assumption that sedans are from Alabama, and coupes are from Germany)
Old 10-05-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C63s coupe
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
They claim they had supplier issues, which, as one who working in the NA supply chain to the little 3 as well as transplants I can relate to but to not install at least the wiring harnesses so the missing components could be bolted in later is just wrong.
SPOT ON
Old 10-05-2016, 01:13 PM

2017 C63S
Another Update

Spoke to my sales guy on the phone today. Here is what they (the dealer) are initially offering. I told them I will think about it until I have time to come in again, which probably won't be till Saturday. Depending on how it goes then, I will make a decision. So far I haven't gotten MBUSA involved, but it looks as though I will have to do that. I'm giving the dealer a chance first.

1) Take the car as is. So far they have already knocked $200 (yes $200) off the price for the camera not being there. Though they implied they could come down more, they didn't give a number. I suspect its not going to be much. To be honest though, I'm not sure how you put a price on missing standard equipment.

2) Install an aftermarket back-up camera, obviously they cover the cost of this.

3) Wait till January for a new car to be built. Pricing might be adjusted to account for the delay, but he didn't give numbers. No loaner car because it would be for several months and that is against company policy.

Obviously I have some "negotiating" to do with them based on the options they have given me so far. I just wanted to share how its being handled along the way.
I can't find a car in the country that is close enough in configuration for me to have them do a swap. They all have some combination of missing and extra options that I just can't settle for.

Since others have mentioned /asked. I timed selling my car based on the delivery date of this C63S, so I'm short one car now. The C63 was going to be purchased, not a lease.

Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
I'm not surprised they did that. Manufacturing wants to drive down costs as much as possible. On '16MY the camera was a stand alone option, they had all the parts/harnesses required to not have a camera in there. So they opted to use those parts cause it would be cheaper and easier for them. Obviously it is extremely careless of them to do this and really makes me lose respect for them as a manufacturer. Not to mention the fact that they seem to expect customers to just accept their screw up. Funny thing is manufacturers started using Just-In-Time manufacturing and vertical integration in order to prevent this sort of thing from happening. I guess MB still hasn't figured it out in 2016...

Last edited by pman9003; 10-05-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C63s coupe
Idea only.

Couldnt be that all problems with missing those parts are due some kind of building error and has nothing to do with suplies? Of course, no excuse...
Old 10-05-2016, 03:46 PM

GLA
Originally Posted by diewithme
Idea only.

Couldnt be that all problems with missing those parts are due some kind of building error and has nothing to do with suplies? Of course, no excuse...
nothing new supplies run out and mercedes went forward with production, this had happened before with the w205 first came out in 2015. There are still a few of these oddities left to be found.

To the op, im sorry this had happened but if you end up leasing it having an after market camera might not be so bad for 2-3yrs instead of waiting for the next built cycle. By jan your 2017 is already 1/2 yr old.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:24 PM

2017 C63S
Final Update:

Went to the dealer this morning. Ended up agreeing to purchase the car as is. I got them to drop another $1500 off the price of the car and throw in a Dupont protection package for the interior and exterior. So basically an extra $2000 off in addition to what I had already negotiated.

MBUSA was no help at all in getting this resolved. It mostly came down to the dealer wanting to finish the deal.

I pick the car up on Monday. They have to apply the Dupont stuff and also re attach the rear spoiler lip on the trunk lid, it was peeling off at one end. As promised here are some slightly better pictures, it was parked in a bad spot in the deck.

Old 10-08-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C63S coupe
It's a nice car. Happy motoring.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by pman9003
Final Update:

Went to the dealer this morning. Ended up agreeing to purchase the car as is. I got them to drop another $1500 off the price of the car and throw in a Dupont protection package for the interior and exterior. So basically an extra $2000 off in addition to what I had already negotiated.

MBUSA was no help at all in getting this resolved. It mostly came down to the dealer wanting to finish the deal.

I pick the car up on Monday. They have to apply the Dupont stuff and also re attach the rear spoiler lip on the trunk lid, it was peeling off at one end. As promised here are some slightly better pictures, it was parked in a bad spot in the deck.

If you are at peace with it all then that is all that matters and it looks great. Let's see the interior too.
I have a couple of suggestions re the camera issue.
Get in contact with NAV-TV or Midland Engineering for after market camera that will work with the screen in the Comand system.
It will cost about what they gave you but it will likely be just as good as the OEM.
I have been looking to upgrade my 2013 W204 C63 and to but the unit that will do the job is $529-649 and I have been quoted $300 to do the work if I do not want to tackle it myself.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
C63
As long as you are happy, that's what matters. So much money to spend on a car without being happy. Personally, I just could not accept a car that wasn't exactly how I ordered it. I would rather shop around for another C63 at a dealership and try to get a nice price since a compromise on options will already be required.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
'17 Mercedes GLS550
Congrats on the purchase. The car looks great! It is disconcerting to hear that the spoiler was peeling off on a brand new car. Mercedes quality sure is becoming questionable.