Sponsored by:

2017 C63S without Back-up Camera?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C63S
2017 C63S without Back-up Camera?

Just got a call from my dealer. My C63S has FINALLY arrived, of course I had already left for a trip to the beach So I have to wait until Monday to take delivery.

He said that the car was built without a back-up camera due to a supplier issue? Has anyone heard of this before? Its not a deal breaker for me and they will adjust the price to reflect this, but it definitely struck me as very odd. I was/still am under the impression that the back-up camera is standard equipment.

*EDIT* Rear-View Camera is STANDARD EQUIPMENT on all 2017 C-Class Sedans *EDIT*

Here is the configuration I ordered:
149 Polar white
811 Black/Grey
736 Natural Grain Black Ash Wood
662 AMG Cross-Spoke High Performance Forged Wheels Black
Y04 Silver Seat Belts
P04 Premium Package 4
521 AMG Night Package
463 Head-Up Display
U78 Performance Exhaust
068 Wheel Locks

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Last edited by pman9003; 09-30-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:32 PM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
I wouldn't take delivery of that car. It's just weird. It will hurt resale too.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:46 PM

2017 C63S
Originally Posted by jkob5
I wouldn't take delivery of that car. It's just weird. It will hurt resale too.
The impact on resale value is my main concern. I'm still undecided about taking delivery. I really don't want to have to wait for another car to built. Also there is no guarantee that the next one will have the camera. A quick google search revealed similar issues with other MB models.

Last edited by pman9003; 09-29-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
There maybe the possibility for the dealer to fit the camera.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
A Benz and a BMW
Originally Posted by pman9003
Just got a call from my dealer. My C63S has FINALLY arrived, of course I had already left for a trip to the beach So I have to wait until Monday to take delivery.

He said that the car was built without a back-up camera due to a supplier issue? Has anyone heard of this before? Its not a deal breaker for me and they will adjust the price to reflect this, but it definitely struck me as very odd. I was/still am under the impression that the back-up camera is standard equipment.

149 Polar white
811 Black/Grey
Y04 Silver Seat Belts
P04 Premium Package 4
521 AMG Night Package
463 Head-Up Display
U78 Performance Exhaust
068 Wheel Locks

I had the exact same issue on a CLA. The 2015 Models in Canada (at least my batch), didn't have backup cameras. The dealership provided me with a company that retrofits them, and they did it for me at the dealership (in fact, my invoice was made out to MB). I have had nothing but issues with it. The alignment of the camera is off a little, the screen flashes black randomly when i'm backing up, sometimes I get a static image.

The worst was the comments I got from the rest of my family - "even my corolla came with a backup camera hahaHaHaHAHAHA (the laughter kept getting louder in my ears)"

Instead of waiting for another build, is there another C63S near you that is similar to the one you built?
Old 09-29-2016, 02:12 PM

2017 C63S
Originally Posted by Uga Uga
There maybe the possibility for the dealer to fit the camera.
I called MBUSA and they said that this would not be possible. The dealer said they are checking with the factory confirm. At this point it does not look like that will be a viable option

Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
I had the exact same issue on a CLA. The 2015 Models in Canada (at least my batch), didn't have backup cameras. The dealership provided me with a company that retrofits them, and they did it for me at the dealership (in fact, my invoice was made out to MB). I have had nothing but issues with it. The alignment of the camera is off a little, the screen flashes black randomly when i'm backing up, sometimes I get a static image.

The worst was the comments I got from the rest of my family - "even my corolla came with a backup camera hahaHaHaHAHAHA (the laughter kept getting louder in my ears)"

Instead of waiting for another build, is there another C63S near you that is similar to the one you built?
I'm sorry to hear that. I found threads about this issue on the GLA, didn't know it also affected the CLA. I recently had a Corolla rental car that had a back-up camera, so that immediately came to mind.

Most of them are built to order, so finding one that is available and has what I want is unlikely. I will post updates on Monday after I visit the dealer. A friend of mine gave me some ideas on how to proceed, but I'm still trying to collect more information before making a decision. It's extremely frustrating that I placed the order for this car in May and it finally shows up missing standard equipment.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
'17 Mercedes GLS550
Dang that sucks man.

In my opinion a backup camera is a must have option. It gives me piece of mind when backing up and if you live in the city and parallel park a lot it is very helpful. Also when coming out of a crowded parking space the fisheye view helps you see if a car is coming in either direction.

The government is making it law all model year 2018+ must have back up cameras standard. So you can count on resale of that car being affected.

I'm sure you have been waiting for this car like kids wait for christmas gifts, but I would muster up some patience and buy another car (unless the dealership is willing to give you a worthwhile discount).
Old 09-29-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
A Benz and a BMW
I called MBUSA and they said that this would not be possible. The dealer said they are checking with the factory confirm. At this point it does not look like that will be a viable option

I'm sorry to hear that. I found threads about this issue on the GLA, didn't know it also affected the CLA. I recently had a Corolla rental car that had a back-up camera, so that immediately came to mind.

Most of them are built to order, so finding one that is available and has what I want is unlikely. I will post updates on Monday after I visit the dealer. A friend of mine gave me some ideas on how to proceed, but I'm still trying to collect more information before making a decision. It's extremely frustrating that I placed the order for this car in May and it finally shows up missing standard equipment.
Don't let this bum you out about the car. The back up camera is good to make sure you don't hit the curb. Otherwise, the sensors are great at making sure you don't hit stuff.

If I were you, I would spend a day or two looking for a similar build - maybe your dealer can negotiate a trade with another dealer? Simultaneously try to see if there is a good company that can retrofit camera's nicely with the COMAND interface. You will most likely only use your backup camera for less than 0.2% of your total time spent driving - don't let a monstrous C63S build go to waste because of that!
Old 09-30-2016, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG

149 Polar white
811 Black/Grey
Y04 Silver Seat Belts
P04 Premium Package 4
521 AMG Night Package
463 Head-Up Display
U78 Performance Exhaust
068 Wheel Locks

Don't accept it. Refuse delivery. This is not acceptable. For sure the charge in the package it came in is far more than the credit they will give you and you end up with a car that is compromised in the market.
Make them get what you ordered. You may have to keep what you are driving if you traded it in but then it is their car technically and your inability to turn it over is their problem unless they will give you a loaner.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,352 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I won't drive a car without a backup cam

2017 Mercedes and doesn't have a cam?? What supply issue can they possibly have??
Old 09-30-2016, 02:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'18 C63 S Coupe
if it were me, i would offer to have them try building my car again (this time to spec) but at $2k less due to them screwing up and wasting my time. alternatively, i would accept delivery of the car for a *huge* discount.

i recommend looking into other dealerships and their pricing
Old 09-30-2016, 05:30 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
I would be very annoyed if my car had arrived without cameras fitted. Assuming it wasn't my fault I would be asking for serious compensation or a new build. If it doesn't have parking sensors either it will have quite an affect on resale values.

As muppet22 says - ask for at least $2k off but if you originally paid RRP ask for more!
Old 09-30-2016, 07:16 AM

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Don't accept it. It will drive you nuts over time. Every time you put the car in reverse you will look at the dash and be reminded the camera is missing. It will detract from the delight you get from the other features.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C63S sedan
If you are leasing it, love everything else about it and you are ok backing in to spaces without a camera I wouldn't worry about it. If you bought it/financed it however, I would reach out to MBUSA customer service. I had some issues when I picked up the sedan and they were great to work with.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
If MB did the right thing they would let you drive this one while ordering you the correct spec. at a reduced price.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Like RDPOCA's answer. They can sell it as a CPO and make money again.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:05 AM

2017 C63S
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. I will take your suggestions with me when I visit the dealer, and see what happens.

I edited the original post to reflect the fact that all 2017 C-Class sedans should have a back-up camera as STANDARD EQUIPMENT. This is the main issue I have. If for example, the factory had run out of condensers, would they just ship the car without A/C?? That's what they did with the back-up camera...

For now, I'm just going to enjoy my time at the beach. I will update everyone once I return to Atlanta.

Last edited by pman9003; 09-30-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
Pretty crazy they Ran out of cameras. you would think they would alert you before hand or make some sort of Plan to fit it down the road.
I actually had a similar situation when i bought my S4 back in 2011. the factory that made the cameras for all the cars was affected by the earthquake in Japan. VW buyers were not given any options but all the Audi cars had all the other electronics built in but the camera itself was a blank. Once the cameras came in we received a notice and dropped the car off for a free install. and if you called AOA you even got a $300 cash card for your troubles.
seems like if Audi can handle it this well MB should have no issues doing something similar. its a shame they are not
Old 09-30-2016, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
My expereince over nearly 30 yr with these cars is that MBUSA tends to do the right thing most of the time e.g. 10yr unlimited warranty to any owner of first gen 3.2L V6 engines which experienced coking in the upper oil galleries before they modified them and went to synthetic oils and transfer case failures on W212 E class which shredded transmissions.
Mercedes Benz Canada refused to even answer a letter to the President of MBC on the V6 issue in my 2001 CLK320 and on other issue left the dealer holding the bag if they supplied parts and they did not solve the problem.
On the other had I too have read AOA and Toyota (Lexus) are right there. I found a defect in an IP in an ES300 and I found it 4 cars on the dealer lot. Damaged mould.
I got a letter of thanks for finding it from the President of Toyota in Japan.
More to the point they removed the whole IP from my car and replaced it while giving me a loaner for the 3 days the car was in the shop. They issued recalls on all cars in which they had installed an IP made in that mould for replacement.
In some cases this arrogance at MBC is a reflection of policy not the people. I have contacts who will call me if I have an issue. Most likely to insure that they cannot be traced when they call me vs. email.
It flows to some dealers. I have a dealer 30 minute away which is part of the same network of dealers owned by a private owner in Toronto. I won't deal with it because the place is permiated with arrogance and a "we know better" attitude. They will sell you what they want to sell you if you let them and once they have your money they could care less unless they get an opportunity to rip you off as they did a friend who bought a CPO car with pre paid service and they serviced it way early - 7000 km early - because they had not set the service reminder when they put it on the road as a demo. They knew the car was in way too early but went ahead and serviced it and charged him. I drive 2 hr to another dealership in the same network who treats me with respect and goes out of their way to be helpful.
My view is unchanged. I would not take delivery of the car under any circumstances if I was buying it or leasing it. Value on resale is compromised but on the lease car unless they reduce the terms you are paying for something you did not get.

Last edited by Alex.currie44; 09-30-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:05 PM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
I have been waiting 6 months for my coupe and if it got here without a back-up camera I would tell them the only way I would consider doing business with mercedes again is if they let me keep that car for free while they got the car I ordered for built correctly. Sorry that happened.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe
My C63S coupe was ordered in May, arrived and I took delivery on Tuesday. Get home and notice the power-folding mirrors are missing. My dealer is working with MBUSA on a solution. I'm hoping for a retrofit, but up to this point, they've only offered me a $1,000 credit. I created a separate thread on this. Someone else in the US chimed in who is in the same predicament. Apparently ours are two of 10 cars produced with the mirror option left off the build but was clearly stated in the window sticker, dealer order guide and Netstar that Premium 2 was included with the power-folding mirrors specifically mentioned. Appears to not be a supply chain issue but rather a quality issue at the factory. Very concerning and disappointing. Makes me wonder if I made a mistake switching from BMW to MB.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:27 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography; 2019 AMG E63S; 2021 Range Rover HSE Westminister
I also switched from BMW to Mercedes and no regrets a few months in. But with missing features I had a missing heated windshield in my second Range Rover though it was on both order sheet and window sticker. I only realized couple weeks after taking delivery. I took it back to the dealer and they claimed it was a new windshield that no longer had visible lines, but in the software screen the option was missing. After calling LRNA and some investigation on their part they confirmed what I already knew. It was never installed at the factory as it should have been. LRNA said it was not possible to retrofit and gave me $2500 certificate but what sucked is it could only be used at LR. What if I didn't want anything else from LR for the car then? I suspect you will get similar treatment. Best to find out before you pick up and negotaite from a position of strength rather than after you accept the vehicle and you are really stuck with their "good will" which is a joke IMO.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:42 PM

2017 C63S
Update:

Stopped by the dealership this morning and finally got to see the car. It looks amazing! I have a few pictures, but they aren't very good ones. Let me know if anyone wants to see them.

The dealer says they are still working with their "sources" at the factory/corporate to see if it is possible to add a factory camera later. Though I almost 100% certain this will not be possible, I decided to wait and see what they come back with before diving into what happens if the camera can not be added.

To the dealers credit, they were pretty embarrassed about the whole situation. They found out the camera was missing on 9/28, and the car arrived at the dealer on 9/29. They did have a 2017 E300 in the showroom that was also missing a back-up camera. I get the feeling this issue may start to show up more and more.

As before I'll keep you guys updated on any progress.

Last edited by pman9003; 10-03-2016 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-03-2016, 08:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
'17 Mercedes GLS550
Post up all the pictures! We don't have many pictures of a '17 C63 sedan.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by damnitBobby
Post up all the pictures! We don't have many pictures of a '17 C63 sedan.
Yes please!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2017 C63S without Back-up Camera?