Paint protection and Xpel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
We love all makes and models.
Originally Posted by otakki
Indeed, it seems counter-intuitive to provide protection to the protection.

I have also heard that protection film ends up embedding a lot of dirt and debris if you travel frequently on highway with lots of blowing debris. As a result, the front end film needs replacement every 1-2 years.
The film itself is porous, such that if you wax it or use a coating, the coating will help keep the film looking great every day. Regarding dirt and debris embedding in the film, no. The top coat of the film is self-healing, so even if you were to get any dirt or debris, if it doesn't penetrate through the top coat of the film, it should self-heal the swirl marks, etching, light scratches from bugs, bird droppings, etc.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by XPEL
The film itself is porous, such that if you wax it or use a coating, the coating will help keep the film looking great every day. Regarding dirt and debris embedding in the film, no. The top coat of the film is self-healing, so even if you were to get any dirt or debris, if it doesn't penetrate through the top coat of the film, it should self-heal the swirl marks, etching, light scratches from bugs, bird droppings, etc.
Do you recommend paint correction first???
Old 10-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by auditoamg
Do you recommend paint correction first???
It's not necessary. The film itself, when applied will mask the swirl marks under the paint, its actually quite amazing. Take a look at what our installer in Atlanta, Detailed Designs Auto Spa, made:
Old 10-03-2016, 07:28 PM

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
2020 C63s Coupe, 2016 C63s Sedan
Indeed, it seems counter-intuitive to provide protection to the protection.

I have also heard that protection film ends up embedding a lot of dirt and debris if you travel frequently on highway with lots of blowing debris. As a result, the front end film needs replacement every 1-2 years.
Over a 3 year period I had 75,000 miles on my Audi with the whole front covered with Xpel and the complete car covered with Opticoat. The car looked new the day I sold it.

I have had the C63 for a year and put 22,000 miles on it. The whole front is covered with Xpel and the complete car coated with C-Quartz. It still looks amazing... when clean...
Old 10-04-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
I have Suntek on my 911 and will be putting Xpel on my C63 next week. There are only two negatives I can think of - cost and having to be a little more careful with jet sprayers because powerful ones can cut into the film. I'm going Xpel this time because it is a little thicker and tougher (imo).
Old 10-04-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
I have XPEL Ultimate partial front with headlight and side mirrors and it is simply amazing! Been in many situations where I was stuck behind what I call asteroid belts (chain of gravel transporting semis) and I was sure something would end up chipped but all I've noticed were little scars on the film that healed up either over time or after an application of hot water.

Also price was $950 for the install from leeberbs in central NJ, quality work these guys were highly recommended from Porsche and Tesla forums.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Why can't car makers contract with self-healing film makers and have it as an option?! That way, it can be done at the factory and no correction or cleaning would be needed at all.
The following users liked this post:
auditoamg (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Why can't car makers contract with self-healing film makers and have it as an option?! That way, it can be done at the factory and no correction or cleaning would be needed at all.
Because like government, things like this would make too much sense.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Porsche Cayman
Lotus used to offer paint protection film as a factory option on the Evora. Not sure if they still do.

Anyway, I think Opticoat +PPF makes sense if you're *not* doing a full wrap. I had partial PPF and full Opticoat on my Cayman, and the Opticoat definitely made it easier to keep the car clean and shiny. But I wouldn't have bothered with the Opticoat if the car was fully wrapped with Xpel.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 c63s coupe
Have the c63s edition 1 with matte grey. Loved it and was concerned about how the matte would look if ppf was applied. Had the XPEL Stealth placed last week. Took 5 days to install with the XPEL Ultimate covering the stripes to keep them glossy, along with the mirrors and spoilers covered. Looks amazing with the matte looking exactly like original paint underneath. Just applied c-6 Zaino clear polish spray and it looks and feels amazing. My only concern is if ppf dulls or gets damaged in years to come, how well will the film come off without adhesive sticking to the paint. As you can't scrub matte paint to polish. Any thoughts XPEL?
Old 10-08-2016, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by mrgator_1
Have the c63s edition 1 with matte grey. Loved it and was concerned about how the matte would look if ppf was applied. Had the XPEL Stealth placed last week. Took 5 days to install with the XPEL Ultimate covering the stripes to keep them glossy, along with the mirrors and spoilers covered. Looks amazing with the matte looking exactly like original paint underneath. Just applied c-6 Zaino clear polish spray and it looks and feels amazing. My only concern is if ppf dulls or gets damaged in years to come, how well will the film come off without adhesive sticking to the paint. As you can't scrub matte paint to polish. Any thoughts XPEL?
Sounds good! Did you cover the car bumper-to-bumper with Stealth? How much did it cost?
Any pics would be highly appreciated
Old 10-08-2016, 02:19 AM

2017 c63s coupe
Originally Posted by damnhotrod
Sounds good! Did you cover the car bumper-to-bumper with Stealth? How much did it cost?
Any pics would be highly appreciated
Yes, bumper-to-bumper. Including tinting the windows 35%, it was $5000
damnhotrod (10-08-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 10:57 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Thank you for going with XPEL STEALTH, any pics? Regarding the film removal, the film is warrantied for 10 years against yellow, fading, cracking, peeling etc. If an area does get damaged, if removed properly, the film should not leave adhesive behind. This is why we highly recommend having an XPEL installer remove it if it comes to that. There are techniques and ways to remove it that they're familiar with.

My only concern is the Zaino you're using on the film. I've asked for MSDS sheets previously from Zaino with no luck. If the product contains Petroleum Distillates (Naptha and/or Kerosine) it can hurt the film over time
Old 10-11-2016, 12:08 PM

2017 c63s coupe
Thank you for going with XPEL STEALTH, any pics? Regarding the film removal, the film is warrantied for 10 years against yellow, fading, cracking, peeling etc. If an area does get damaged, if removed properly, the film should not leave adhesive behind. This is why we highly recommend having an XPEL installer remove it if it comes to that. There are techniques and ways to remove it that they're familiar with.

My only concern is the Zaino you're using on the film. I've asked for MSDS sheets previously from Zaino with no luck. If the product contains Petroleum Distillates (Naptha and/or Kerosine) it can hurt the film over time

Door jamb area on the left is without film, while the right side is with XPEL Stealth. Car is fully covered bumper to bumper. So if you think that Zaino is not safe (as far as discoloring the film), even though their tech department recommended either the z6 or z8 as being completely safe. What other product has been found to be OK. I realize that you guys have your own, but is there another one also found to be acceptable?
SirOlf (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C200 4MATIC Cabrio 2017

Door jamb area on the left is without film, while the right side is with XPEL Stealth. Car is fully covered bumper to bumper. So if you think that Zaino is not safe (as far as discoloring the film), even though their tech department recommended either the z6 or z8 as being completely safe. What other product has been found to be OK. I realize that you guys have your own, but is there another one also found to be acceptable?
Thank you for your photo's. Just decided to completely wrap my upcoming matte selenite grey C cabrio with Xpel stealth and the lights with Xpel ultimate. In Europe it will cost me around €6000. I intend to keep the car as long as possible so I hope the investment will be worth it. Certainly with matte paint a paint correction job is very expensive and the result doubtfull ...

Last edited by SirOlf; 02-15-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s

Hey there, are you able to advise your authorized installer here in Sydney, Australia?

I have seen a few shops with your logo/banner however not certain if they are trained like you've mentioned before.

Thanks,
Sanch