Sponsored by:

Track Day Set-Up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S Edition 1
Track Day Set-Up

Well just registered for first Race School/Track Day with the benz! So what kind of stuff do you bring (tires, fluids, etc)
and what kind of set up do you have extinguisher helmets gloves cloths? I have a 4 point (from when I had the Subaru) but haven't looked at how /where to mount in the 63.

picture and any advise on car prep, gear, tips for track day is appreciated!!
Old 10-27-2016, 12:07 PM

2016 c 63 s
Are you referring to amg driving academy? If that's it all you need is your drivers license and they take care of the rest you don't use your car they provide fleet of different cars it's a lot of fun enjoy.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
No, he's referring to taking his own car to the race track.

It would be great if someone can create a checklist. I'm also taking my car to the track on Nov 20th and I'd love to hear people's recommendations.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:01 PM

2015 AMG C63 S Edition 1
Track day/ Race School with a car club. No AMG Ach.....yet!

the club provided a small check list but I wanted to see what other AMG things people do. Heard a few people say the will over fill/add quart oil to prevent starving while in turns. Also looking for "hacks" input on what extinguisher or where to mount, and maybe even handleing tips.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tesla 3, E30, CayenneS
For a track day, at the bare minimum you will need high temp brake fluid, possibly even track pads for your front brakes if you experience pretty bad fade on your first day. I haven't tracked a W205 AMG yet but that is the typical minimum you could do to make your car track-ready.

Since it's a new car you really don't need a tech inspection unless your car has a lot of modifications. Most people run a different set of wheels & tires since track days can be rough on those. If you plan to track in the future I would recommend investing in a light set of 18" wheels and mounting some stickier tires. Usually schools will rent out helmets, you can bring/buy a helmet sock. I don't think most clubs will require a fire extinguisher or 4 pt harness, but different tracks/clubs have different rules.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:24 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 C63 AMG S Edition 1, 2015 GL63
Some basics for you.

1. Unless you have done many track events, don't bother making any performance modifications to your car. You are the weakest link until you are confident and have considerable track experience. With that said, read on.

2. Basic mechanicals: Full fuel, fresh brake fluid (Motul 600 is a very good one), at least 50% left on your brake pads, secure battery tie down, etc. Make sure you've got the engine oil topped off (continuous running track courses, add 1/2 Qt. over full in most cases).

3. Tire pressures: Newbies should start out with high pressures, to conserve the sidewalls of the tires. Start by adding 6 psi to each tire, COLD. That means that if you are running the recommended pressures on your C63, you should plan on starting with about 39psi in front and 37psi in the rears. After each run (each run because you'll be picking up speed on each run) check to see that you're not running onto the sidewalls. Wear on the corner of the tread is OK, but not past that.

4. Interior: Get everything out of the interior that can move. Radar detectors, CDs, etc. Some folks like to take out the floor mats but I prefer to keep them in especially as our MBs, snap into place and should not move. Your call on that one. You'll be braking and turning harder than you ever have before, and you won't believe the stuff that'll come out from under the seats and if it is loose or not tied down, it will fly around. The worst spot for it to land is under your brake pedal.

5. Personal: WATER, WATER, WATER! And eat light. Especially if you get some runs with an instructor, it's easy to get a queasy stomach (at least for me).

Now for the track tips:

1. Slow in / fast out. If you start turning and the car keeps going straight (push/understeer) you are likely entering the turn too fast. In my experience this slows down lap times more than anything.

2. Look ahead. The proper line is key for fast times. Looking ahead allows you to keep the car on the proper line. This may mean looking at the next turn before you are out of the current turn. Often requires looking out the side windows rather than just through the windshield.

3. Use the whole track. This goes with the proper line. In general, you want to make the turn as gradual as possible to allow for greater speed. However, stick to the clean line. If your region has small cars, gravel & marbles will accumulate off the most used line and you will loose traction if you stray into it.

4. Try to brake hard and accelerate hard, minimizing coasting. Roadracing is about smoothness and not upsetting the car.

5. When ever possible, ride with an experienced driver before your runs. Even better, co-drive your car with a good driver. This allows for great feedback on what your car can do for a particular course, and where you can pick up more time.

6. Try to get your hard braking done in a straight line and take a line that allows you to get the car straighter and on the gas earlier in the turn, particularly before a straight.

7. Unwind the wheel as you accelerate out of the turn. Getting on the throttle as you come out of the turn will generally cause the back end to step out (oversteer). Turning into this or unwinding the wheel allows you to control the oversteer and generate more speed. Again, use the whole track.

This is a compilation from other sites but should be a good primer for you. There are several books to review as well if you are so inclined:

here's some good reading for auto-x newbies: http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

Here's a few books

Speed Secrets - Ross Bentley
Driving in Competition - Alan Johnson
Drive to Win - Carol Smith
A Twist of the Wrist - Lawson&Rainey

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Kurt
The following 2 users liked this post by kfehling:
Guilty (10-27-2016), NYCSoiL (11-30-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 05:26 PM
Banned

'16 C63-S
^

Kurt, you're the best. Thank you!!
Old 10-27-2016, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by kfehling
Some basics for you.

1. Unless you have done many track events, don't bother making any performance modifications to your car. You are the weakest link until you are confident and have considerable track experience. With that said, read on.

2. Basic mechanicals: Full fuel, fresh brake fluid (Motul 600 is a very good one), at least 50% left on your brake pads, secure battery tie down, etc. Make sure you've got the engine oil topped off (continuous running track courses, add 1/2 Qt. over full in most cases).

3. Tire pressures: Newbies should start out with high pressures, to conserve the sidewalls of the tires. Start by adding 6 psi to each tire, COLD. That means that if you are running the recommended pressures on your C63, you should plan on starting with about 39psi in front and 37psi in the rears. After each run (each run because you'll be picking up speed on each run) check to see that you're not running onto the sidewalls. Wear on the corner of the tread is OK, but not past that.

4. Interior: Get everything out of the interior that can move. Radar detectors, CDs, etc. Some folks like to take out the floor mats but I prefer to keep them in especially as our MBs, snap into place and should not move. Your call on that one. You'll be braking and turning harder than you ever have before, and you won't believe the stuff that'll come out from under the seats and if it is loose or not tied down, it will fly around. The worst spot for it to land is under your brake pedal.

5. Personal: WATER, WATER, WATER! And eat light. Especially if you get some runs with an instructor, it's easy to get a queasy stomach (at least for me).

Now for the track tips:

1. Slow in / fast out. If you start turning and the car keeps going straight (push/understeer) you are likely entering the turn too fast. In my experience this slows down lap times more than anything.

2. Look ahead. The proper line is key for fast times. Looking ahead allows you to keep the car on the proper line. This may mean looking at the next turn before you are out of the current turn. Often requires looking out the side windows rather than just through the windshield.

3. Use the whole track. This goes with the proper line. In general, you want to make the turn as gradual as possible to allow for greater speed. However, stick to the clean line. If your region has small cars, gravel & marbles will accumulate off the most used line and you will loose traction if you stray into it.

4. Try to brake hard and accelerate hard, minimizing coasting. Roadracing is about smoothness and not upsetting the car.

5. When ever possible, ride with an experienced driver before your runs. Even better, co-drive your car with a good driver. This allows for great feedback on what your car can do for a particular course, and where you can pick up more time.

6. Try to get your hard braking done in a straight line and take a line that allows you to get the car straighter and on the gas earlier in the turn, particularly before a straight.

7. Unwind the wheel as you accelerate out of the turn. Getting on the throttle as you come out of the turn will generally cause the back end to step out (oversteer). Turning into this or unwinding the wheel allows you to control the oversteer and generate more speed. Again, use the whole track.

This is a compilation from other sites but should be a good primer for you. There are several books to review as well if you are so inclined:

here's some good reading for auto-x newbies: http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

Here's a few books

Kurt
Mate, this is great.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:11 PM

You are all welcome and I hope you find it useful.

Once you get into it and decide on track tires, we can talk more specifically on tire pressures. I would also recommend that you learn how to swap out the front pads as you will burn through them fairly quickly; even novice drivers as the car is quite heavy.

The pads are very easy to change and the best track pads, as of now, are available from racebrakes.com. I am sure other manufacturers will follow soon but for now, theirs are very good. Watch a few YouTube videos or get a mechanically inclined friend to help you the first time. In the long run, this track set will last you several events and prevent you from buying the very expensive daily pads from your dealer.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:23 PM

2015 AMG C63 S Edition 1
Kfeh

Thanks! Great info, really appreciate it! Hoping this first track day starts the addiction! Soon as i get the basics down I would really like to know more on tires and pressure. Track day is 27 Nov so I'll be back! Thanks again
Old 10-30-2016, 06:41 PM

I will add one more necessity, Harry's Lap Timer so you can "track" your progress. Good luck and stay safe.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S EDITION 1
whats thoughts on fuel type and/or fuel mixing?

standard fuel in CA is 91 but I know they can run 93, so that on the track will be fine.
I have heard people mixing 91 and 100 or other fuel for track days. What's everyone's thought or advice on that.

Also for novice tracker what's best vehicle setting? Obviously no setting with traction off but...

Sport+ (Traction Control Full ON or Sport)?
Race (Traction Control Full ON or Sport)?
Old 11-21-2016, 02:25 PM
Banned

'16 C63-S
Had my track-day. Brakes on this car were horrible. Even with race pads. Too bad.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:45 PM

C63S EDITION 1
Guilty what pads did you use?

What settings and fuel?
Old 12-01-2016, 03:42 PM

C63S EDITION 1
Kurt, I noticed that you said to start by adding 6psi to get 39/37 psi...but the manufacturer recommended psi on the door says "cold 48/45". So should I be adding 6 to that or aim for the. 39/37 psi like you mentioned

Originally Posted by kfehling
Some basics for you.

Now for the track tips:

Here's a few books

Kurt
Old 12-02-2016, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by M177ED1
Kurt, I noticed that you said to start by adding 6psi to get 39/37 psi...but the manufacturer recommended psi on the door says "cold 48/45". So should I be adding 6 to that or aim for the. 39/37 psi like you mentioned
The numbers on the door post are not the correct numbers. they are for EPA only so forget them.
The correct ones are on the back of the fuel door.